Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #1  
the 20 year old wonder.

S/C/G: 186.2/182/130

Height: 5'7''

Default Question about Atkins Bars/Shakes

Does anyone here eat/drink them? If so which ones are the best tasting?
freakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I personally wouldn't recommend them unless you are in a situation where there is nothing low carb available.
You might want to read this, it explains a lot:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 226/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

When I used to drink them, which has been a long time, I always chose chocolate. It was the only ones I liked. For the bars, I got whatever didn't have nuts. (I'm allergic!)

Thanks Kim for that link. I learned a lot from it!
Crazy4Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #4  
the 20 year old wonder.

Well, I'm asking because I am currently on Medifast and have been for the past 2 months, however, for financial reasons I have to stop. One of the biggest things with Medifast is that you really aren't supposed to stop cold turkey or you could gain all your weight back. So I have the wonderful task of slowly bringing my calories and carbs back up to normal, and being a college student always on the run RTDs and bars are a necessity for me, but all of the non-medifast ones are LOADED with carbs, and I can't jack up my carb intake or I will be in big trouble. So I thought these would be a nice thing to incorporate in to my low cal/carb diet that I have to concoct on my own after stopping Medifast on Friday the 1st.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Freakiel I like the Atkins Chocolate Peanutbutter No Sugar Alcohols and I believe 1 g of sugar
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO View Post
Atkins Chocolate Peanutbutter No Sugar Alcohols
The bars contain glycerine (which Atkins Nutritionals deducts...thats how they arrive at the low net carb counts on the front of the labels). According to Wikipedia, glycerine is classified as a sugar alcohol.
This link explains a lot and is quite interesting:http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

freakiel you may already know this but Atkins is not a low-cal diet. Low carb but not low cal. I'm one of the (many) folks that can't touch the Atkins bars. Sugar alcohols act just like regular old carbs in my body, stall weight loss and give me massive carb cravings.

If you are looking for snacks on the go, have you considered boiled eggs, cheese and other portable, non-processed foods?
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #8  
the 20 year old wonder.

i am not doing atkins. just simply looking for some low cal and low carb meal replacements or snacks in order to keep myself going. sugar alcohols do not have that affect on me, i do not go out of my way to eat them, but i do not stray away from foods simply because of that.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I love them and eat them all the time! The Cinnamon Bun, Oatmeal Raisin and Apple Daybreak bars are wonderful. It doesn't stall me at all. I've lost 43 pounds in the last 3 months.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

If you have a Trader Joe's near you I would suggest going there and checking out what they have. I used to buy Worldwide Pure Protein Shakes at TJ's that were pretty darn good (vanilla, 100 calories, 4 carbs, 21 gms protein). They have shakes that are even higher in protein if thats what you need (35 gms). And they are less expensive at TJ's then GNC, etc. Trader Joes also has bars... a whole slew of them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Leenie; 05-02-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote