Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #1  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Default Treat without a binge?

Last night was not good. It started with three pieces of my grandmother's lasagna and turned into an additional two cookies, two pieces of pizza, two pieces of salty cheesy bread with butter and a CONTAINER of cherry cheesecake my grandmother had made.

My stomach hurt, I kept going through the pain and then crashed so hard after the sugar rush I was in bed by 9:30, I believe it was.

I AM going to get back on plan today, but this little bender raised a question for me I obviously don't have the answer to.

How do you have a treat without it turning into a full on binge? Do you have any tricks you use? Did you slip up a lot as you tried to incorporate a treat into your plan?

I know I need to have them, but it can't be like last night again. It just can't.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5'3

If I want a treat, I buy just one and don't stock it in the house. I keep trigger foods out of the house. If I fall off of plan (or give myself a day off ) , I get right back on the very next morning no excuses.
Melody2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #3  

This is also very hard for me.Eliminating them from the home is obviously a big step.But for me the best answer is to not have even one bite.At least for now while by binge eating is far from under control.I hope to someday be able to have just one cookie or piece of cake,but at this point I can not.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #4  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

What Melody said. I'm maintaining and I have one treat a day after dinner - either a pre-packaged weightwatchers dessert, a bag of maltesers (190 kcals) or similar - with a cup of tea. It stops me craving chocolate and I can't overdo it because I only have one serving available at a time.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #5  

Thanks for the tips. I think I will just have to make sure I don't keep enough around to binge on.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

My husband's grandmother always gives me amazing and yummy treats to take home. So like she'll make brownies right? I'll eat one at her house and be like OMG soooo good (which they are) then when she gives me a huge tray I LEAVE it in the car and then take it to work the next day lol! Let everyone else eat the fat! And at my work those brownies will be gone in a heartbeat.

My treat are those skinny cow mini fudge bars. I used to eat one a day now I might have 1-2 a week, I just look at my calories (I use sparkpeople) and if I see that I'm really low I allow myself this treat. Like yesterday I had less than 1200 calories so I had one to up my calories AND have a yummy treat
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

My self control is improving but I still can't trust myself around a lot of sugar. This Easter I was stuck making baskets for a party. I think you can guess what happened. I didn't even enjoy it!

On the other hand I did succeed in keeping a thing of ice cream in the fridge and eating small portions over a couple of weeks. Still, next time I shopped, I decided to buy Skinny Cow instead. Sugar just tempts the fates.

I have also become more callous in selecting my serving and dumping the rest before I start eating. If I start eating before I get rid of the rest, I tend to make excuses to eat more. Dumping stuff like that is hard for me because I feel so damn wasteful but it's better than the alternative.

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #8  

Height: 4'11"

I think it has a lot to do with your state of mind. What were you thinking after you had the first piece of lasagna? The second, the third, etc. At some point you probably had the "oh, what the heck I've already blown it" thought cross your mind, so when did that happen? Were you planning to have lasagna, or was it more spontaneous? Did you have a struggle and debate about the food that followed? Etc. I think it helps to really track what you were thinking, because whatever conversation you were having in your mind led to the binge.

On the other hand, for me, and it seems for a lot of people, high carb, high fat, high sugar foods are just hard to eat in moderation. They just automatically create a craving for more.

So maybe only eat those foods when you feel SURE you can handle them. When in doubt, don't. Or just cut them out for a while. I hope you find a happy solution that works for you.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #9  

Quote:
At some point you probably had the "oh, what the heck I've already blown it" thought cross your mind, so when did that happen?
Thinpossible, you're so right about the thoughts! It was after the second piece of lasagna (I had planned to have one small piece) I had the blown it thought and it was all downhill from there.