Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Default artificial sweeteners

i went to see a nutritionist on monday who suggested i try this kind of sweetener i'd never heard of before, stevia, and gave me two samples under the brand name purevia. funny how you've never heard of something one day and then suddenly it's everywhere. yesterday's nytimes dining and wine section featured an article examining the mainstream artificial sweeteners, including stevia.

anybody using it? what do you think? i haven't tried it yet.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

I'd like to try it but I haven't been able to find it anywhere... Maybe I just haven't been looking hard enough.

The sweetener scare as I like to call it is so overwhelming. First something is fine to use, then it isn't. It's just crazy...
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

yeah it's confusing. supposedly stevia is supposed to be different because it's a natural plant extract and not something dreamed up in a lab. but who knows?
the nytimes article actually turned out to be really interesting, i mean, considering it's an entire two page article about sugar substitutes.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #4  

I like the liquid stevia. Some brands of stevia have a bitter taste. Pureleaf and Now brand taste ok to me. Pureleaf also has different flavors. A lot of people like the vanilla, but I haven't tried it yet. It's the only sweetener that I would use besides the other natural sweeteners (honey, agave, etc.)
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #5  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I have had it in orange soda and I love it for that. I find different sweeteners are better for different things depending on their peculiar aftertaste. Like I don't think I'd care for stevia in coffee but I like it in the soda. Splenda is great in coffee but in ginerale? YUCK.

Allergic to Nutrasweet so I can only have Splenda sodas. I dearly wish they'd make splenda Dr. Pepper.

Anyway, I do like stevia in some things and need to get some to experiment with.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #6  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Heres an article I just found that was posted TODAY.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30195885/
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #7  
Workin' It

I've been using TruLeaf Stevia for about a year. I have no problems with it. It can taste bitter if you use too much, and the one I use has added fiber that makes it thicker, so you have to stir your beverage as you add the powder so it won't clump. It tastes great to me in everything I've put it in.

Splenda makes me sick, the other sweeteners leave a funny taste in my mouth.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #8  
BELIEVE!

Splenda fan here.

I tried the Stevia packets from Trader Joe's and didn't care for the taste.

Opinions vary widely on the sweetener topic. Like so many other things I say...find what works for you.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #9  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

I just bought some Stevia yesterday. It *IS* everywhere! I found it in the HFS. 1/40 of a teaspoon = 1 teaspoon sugar. Well, how does one measure 1/40 of a teaspoon? So, i opted for the liquid (2 drops= 1 teaspoon sugar). I've only used it in tea so far. It doesn't taste like sugar to me but it's good and sweet. I taste it more on the back of my tongue, if that makes any sense.
Can't wait to try it in my oatmeal. It's nice to cut a few calories like this and then maybe have some more hummus
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
It's the only sweetener that I would use besides the other natural sweeteners (honey, agave, etc.)
Me too. Actually I would like to grow my own but I hear it can be difficult. I may try it though.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #11  

I avoid all those sweeteners because I can't stand the taste of them. If I need to sweeten something, I use regular ole sugar. However, I have coworkers who love that stuff.
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote