UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default Alli coming to the UK

Wow, I saw a advert on the Boots site that they will be selling it soon
£50 for 28days supply

For those who don't know what it is, it's over the counter Orlistat.
Prevents fat from food being absorbed, can cause nasty side effects.

Do you think it only works for people with a BMI over 28?

Last edited by angeleyezx; 04-16-2009 at 08:52 AM.
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Your post is incorrect. Alli blocks UP TO 25% of fat being consumed. It causes the "nasty" side effects when you eat things that are not prescribed in the plan. The Alli pill will help you zero. The Alli PROGRAM will work for anyone. Weight guidelines for using Alli are available on their website.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #3  
44lbs gone!

ah, sry, yes I know, I didn't mean to say all.
As I understand it people who follow the diet guildlines can still experience side effects, but to a lesser extent.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I really don't get it. Why pay £50 for Orlistat when you can get it legitimately on prescription from your doctor for £7.20 (or free if you get free prescriptions)? Some might argue as their Dr. wouldn't prescribe it for them, if that's the case surely it means its not safe/suitable for them to take.

Kitty
(an Orlistat user btw)
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #5  
44lbs gone!

Well yes, but I very much dislike Doctors, same with my Mum.
When I was obese I went to the docs about a problem I was having, she blamed my weight, and didn't give an solution(I was in my late teens)
I did go back a few times when I was older about my weight and the docs never offered me a drug, nor anything else I felt for helpful, just that I should do Cindy Crawfords DVD, no mention any anypoint of reducing portions, eating a lowfat diet etc..

I know it sounds quite ignorant of me but I didn't have a clue about any of these things and I gradually picked up the knowledge I have now from experience, reading books and frequenting forums like this one.

So when people have poor experiences of the NHS, they see something like this as the answer.

My Mum is currently overweight, but she wouldn't spend £50 a month on something like that, I did suggest going to the doctors as you suggested KforKitty, and specifically asking for the drug.
I dont know how well that would work out.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/234/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KforKitty View Post
I really don't get it. Why pay £50 for Orlistat when you can get it legitimately on prescription from your doctor for £7.20 (or free if you get free prescriptions)? Some might argue as their Dr. wouldn't prescribe it for them, if that's the case surely it means its not safe/suitable for them to take.

Kitty
(an Orlistat user btw)

Exactly Kitty - it's a money-spinner, and more worringly it's something with people other weight problems (eg anorexia) may abuse.

I'm not sure if I'm correct here, but I think a person must have a BMI of 30 or over to get Orlistat from their GP, and they also have to show they have made a consistent effort to lose weight, so this means people who are either over-weight, or too embarrassed to visit a doctor are going to be taking these.

At £50 for just a one month supply, it will be an expensive medication. It should also be noted that Alli only provides HALF the dosage of a standard NHS prescription of Orlistat, so if a person wants the full effect they really need to be buying £100's worth a month (obviously not advisable without visiting a medical doctor).

I'm not taking Orlistat but I have considered it, and if I do go down that route (maybe if I plateau) then I'll be going to a local GP rather than forking out £50.

Last edited by Snappymuffin; 04-18-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Snappymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/212/160

Height: 5ft 8

Of all the names in the world, they had to choose my name! I'm Ally on here because Alli was taken, but would you like to be associated with the side effects of this tablet?

It would be interesting to know how successful it is though.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Of all the names in the world, they had to choose my name! I'm Ally on here because Alli was taken, but would you like to be associated with the side effects of this tablet?

It would be interesting to know how successful it is though.
I can assure you if used correctly it can be very effective (see my stats for proof).

Kitty
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/212/160

Height: 5ft 8

Quote:
I can assure you if used correctly it can be very effective (see my stats for proof).

Kitty

Kitty, that's fantastic! Well done you!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #10  
44lbs gone!

Quote:

Kitty
Well done! what weight was you when you came off the tabs?(if you have) Did you find a difference to youweightloss afterwards?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #11  

Coming off the tablets is my next step. I did hope to get to 170 before I did but not lost anything this month so maybe its time. I see my GP on Friday and will discuss then.

Kitty
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #12  
44lbs gone!

Okay neat!
If you've hit a plateau maybe it's worth eating a bit more, you have proberly tried that already, but either dropping more kcals or taking on more usually starts it up again for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/234/150

Height: 5'4

GMTV were covering the Alli story yesterday morning - one of the issues that cropped up was the fact that a person should not take the medication for more than six months (they were interviewing an American lady who had been on the medication successfully for over 12 mths).

Has anyone else heard about this 6 mth limit?
Snappymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #14  
44lbs gone!

can't say that I have,
I've also seen this advertised at places other than Boots.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #15  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

i take alli here in the US and i have never heard of the 6 month limit to be honest with you and i do check into stuff with Alli a lot.

I think it works well.. I had lost about 13 pounds in 2 weeks and then i stopped taking it due to be under so much stress at home.

As much as it cost i didnt want to be taking it and not doing what i should have been so i did stop for a while and now i just started back again so we will see how it goes..

Good Luck all and WAY TO GO KITTY!!!!!!!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote