Weight Loss Support - Clothes shopping, motivating or depressing

beforeim35
04-12-2009, 11:56 AM
My daughter had some money that she wanted to spend on clothes, so yesterday we went out to shop.

I found myself very torn between being depressed that I am just on the beginning of my journey and will not look good in the clothes that I see, and very excited about when I do get there.

I do not plan on making any clothes purchases for a while. Last time I lost weight, I lived on things that I found at garage sales since I knew I wouldn't be that weight for long. My goal at this time is just fitting into the things I bought then.

So, when just starting your weight loss is shopping exciting or stressful for you?

DCHound
04-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I've dropped seven sizes in seven + months, so for me, it's SO MUCH FUN. I'm not buying much because I still have a ways to go. But honestly clothes shopping is AWESOME!! I started out in a 30/32 and now I'm in an 18/20 (with a few 16s thrown in for good measure!). I love shopping in stores; I love shopping in my basement!!

Rosinante
04-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Depressing. Trying hard, lost a fair few pounds but still way outside a normal dress shop.

It'll get better!

JulieJ08
04-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I think I bought a few casual things (pj pants, t shirt) when I'd lost about 10 pounds, and that made me feel good. But my first major shopping was after I'd lost about 20-30 pounds, because I HAD to. I then "lost" out of those pretty quickly, and felt bad about the money spent! So after that, shopping was fun because things were looking better and were in smaller sizes, but it kinda lost it's charm, because it was so frustrating to spend on things I wouldn't be able to wear too long. Now, it's fun again. Depending on the style, I can get a size that fits now and will still look good when I've lost about 5 more pounds (all I have left), or I get things just a little bit tight - either way, I intend them to be keepers. :)

cfmama
04-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I LOVE shopping right now!!!! I started out at a size 30 or 5X and now I can wear size 20 jeans! And 1-2 X tops! I even bought a pair of sweats in a mens LARGE yesterday!!!

One thing I did for the longest time? Buy new underwear but not cloths. VERY motivating to see the number on your undies go down :)

staceyyyyy
04-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I find that I still feel big but at 170-175 I can start to see my shape come back and so if I'm down below that then going shopping is fun, motivation, exciting, forces you to want to lose even more.. if I'm above that weight even if I go feeling not bloated and good that day I come out of the store miserable!!!

sf40
04-12-2009, 12:58 PM
I then "lost" out of those pretty quickly, and felt bad about the money spent! So after that, shopping was fun because things were looking better and were in smaller sizes, but it kinda lost it's charm, because it was so frustrating to spend on things I wouldn't be able to wear too long. Now, it's fun again. Depending on the style, I can get a size that fits now and will still look good when I've lost about 5 more pounds (all I have left), or I get things just a little bit tight - either way, I intend them to be keepers. :)

As I was losing, I had a lot of success getting pants and skirts tailored to fit me. Much cheaper than buying new.

Of course, the weight's back on again and I can't wear them now, but maybe someday ... :^:

newleaf123
04-12-2009, 12:58 PM
It's annoying... I've lost 12 lbs and haven't gone down a size yet! But I'll get there, I'm sure of it.

Reddalice
04-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Ah.... I go through a roller coaster of emotions when I clothes shop. The first is optimism that I will find something, the second is frustration and pessimism when I can't fit into what I feel looks like "me," the third is anger... I get pissed. Finally, when I've left its motivation and optimism... I can do this and then I will be able to wear what I want, and not what the people who design clothes for women my size want me to look. :devil:

Ija
04-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Clothes shopping is both exciting and discouraging. I love the thrill of walking into a dressing room with a pair of jeans and realizing that I've picked up a pair that was too large. The other day I fit into a size 6 at the Gap... I know their sizes run big, but still... I have never been able to wear clothes at the Gap before now!

However, even though I'm really close to my goal (and loving all of my new clothing options) I still get discouraged sometimes when I try on new clothes and realize that I'm still left with a muffin top, chunky thighs, and no boobs to speak of. I don't look the way I always imagined I would at this weight. But then I have to remind myself that I'm saving my life... so there's a trade-off :)

rockinrobin
04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
When I made the decision to lose the weight and then took the steps needed to make it happen - I was excited. Elated. Relieved. Because I knew having made that decision that the end of my misery was near. And there was nothing depressing at all to me about the whole process/journey. I knew that if I stuck with my plan that I could and would lose the weight.

I didn't do any clothes shopping in the beginning. I knew it would be pointless, knowing that my clothing size would keep on plummeting, since I needed to lose so much weight. I did of course have to buy a few pieces every now and then as my size changed. Shopping for those items was thrilling to me. Not depressing. Each size I lost was more and more thrilling to me. And I knew there were more sizes to drop. It was incredibly joyful for me.

Clothing was a huge horror of an issue for me while I was morbidly obese. Just an indescribably nightmare. As my journey progressed it just got better and better and now it's the absolute BEST!

sunflowergirl68
04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I find it depressing. Because when I find something cute and I know it doesn't fit, it won't be there when I lose the weight to fit in it.

jademarlene
04-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I still have a ways to go so I find it depressing.

rockinrobin
04-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I find it depressing. Because when I find something cute and I know it doesn't fit, it won't be there when I lose the weight to fit in it.

But when you do lose the weight, there will be sooo much stuff that will look good on you and fit you well. Almost everything will seem "cute". You won't just have one or two things to choose from. You'll have tons. You'll see.

In the past I always settled for clothing, taking whatever would wrap around me. Now, I've got so many incredible choices, because quite frankly - everything looks really good on me. I have such a hard time choosing which clothing to come home with, because there's no way I could possibly purchase it all. :smug:

CountingDown
04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Very, very motivating.

As I lost weight, I frequented the second-hand shops. Every 5 lbs. I bought something new that FIT. I mean really fit me well. Often it was in a smaller size.

Seeing those small changes, really helped me feel that I was making progress.

And - as Robin said so well - once you hit goal - it is just THE BEST!

I absolutely LOVE being able to walk into a store, try on clothes and love almost everything I try on. I don't chose what fits, or what is acceptable - I choose things I love! I love the color, I love the style, I love the fit. (sign my name to Robin's post on this)

Hang in there - it WILL get better! I promise!

Breannaj1215
04-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I was extremely depressed the other day i had to buy a size 20 pants at old navy. And thats what set it off for me. I love shopping but lately I havent loved it. All my friends are smaller and I want to wear the clothes they do. But it takes time and thats what im learning. I tried to take the easy way out with quick weight loss and did good and got off of it and gained it back.

prepping
04-13-2009, 12:16 PM
i find clothes shopping motivating because the alternative feels terrible! What i've been doing lately though is going around and looking at all the cute clothes that I know would look great on me. I don't buy anything and will not be buying anything until I hit my first goal of 170 lbs.

Plus, if i don't keep window shopping I'll totally lose sense of what is in fashion. lol

alhrayth
04-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I find clothes shooping very stressful most of the times, and I think that is what partially contributed (with the sporty/casual/veeeeeeeeeery low key attitude at my former job) to my wardrobe of cargo pants and turtlenecks (hey, it was an ice rink, I had to keep warm). The pants were easy and baggy, and if by chance they grew a little large I could easily take them in at the waist without bothering with the already baggy legs (approach that doesn't really work with the few more dressy pants I had - I tried taking in the waist, but the legs looked weird then...). My usual comment on my look was "you're lucky I changed from my pajama"... so shopping was surely not one of my priorities, and was quite frustrating when I sometimes had to buy something for some special occasion...
Now that I am at home, I am still living in my old pants, and until I get to loose some weight, I won't bother with worrying about new clothes... and hopefully when I will, I will have a shed a few pounds and things will be less stressful....

TJFitnessDiva
04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
When I first started I didn't buy any new clothes & didn't have to until I got down to a size 16.....what was really motivating was giving away my old clothes as I moved down to the next size :)

Now I love shopping! I don't really buy many new clothes yet except for nice clothes to go to work in but I can see where this could be a fun, yet expensive, habit for me :lol: For my everyday clothes I go to goodwill, ebay or garage sales for now.

squeak351
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Depressing right now. I still have to shop in the "women's" section and it's really frustrating trying to find things that look good. Hopefully it will be motivating when I can shop in the regular clothes section and don't have to search for xl or double digit sizes.

jajabee
04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, I'm on the tallish side, and I waited to start losing weight until my clothes were already verrrrry tight, so it's a little depressing that after 22 pounds lost I'm only just starting to go down a size... but only a little. :) I haven't really gone clothes shopping yet, just picked up pants and sweaters here and there at Goodwill and Ross, but I plan to once I lose another 10. Oh my yes, there will be clothes shopping. :D I'm losing slowly enough that I should be able to buy a few things for summer and not "lose" out of them till fall, at which point I'm hoping to be at goal... at which point I'd love to go shopping with friends! I haven't gone clothes shopping with friends since high school, since it's always such an unpleasant experience for me... my friends are all (and have always been) skinny 4's and 6's, and I've always been 12-14's (though like I said, those 14's were about bursting a few months ago). Sigh... someday! :)

Thighs Be Gone
04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Just like Julie, I went out and spent money when I was about 25-30 pounds down. I hated losing all that money because within another month or two, none of the new ones fit. I discovered thrift store shopping and love it. I have to say though it is because I have really good thrift stores. I am able to find "my" brands every day I go in if I want them--Abercrombie, Inc, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Black & White, Gap, Talbots, etc. I guess you could say I am hooked and for me, it's motivating.

Thighs Be Gone
04-13-2009, 02:59 PM
preppingbride,

I think your idea of window shopping and figuring out WHAT is the fashion and thinking about what will look good on you is a really great idea. I had ignored myself and the fashions for years--probably a decade. I am really enjoying watching the trends now and trying to figure out how I can have a splash of them too.

Devsmama
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't get depressed about shopping, I actually can't wait until I am able to go shopping in a smaller size. Here is my issue, I have some fabulous big girl clothes. I mean this stuff is really nice. My problem is, when I do lose the weight, what am I to do with this stuff? I don't want my mind thinking, okay-you don't need to lose weight cause you have fabulous clothes already....lol...HELP!!!

Thighs Be Gone
04-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Devsmama--I would try to Craigslist them or something or list them in a lot on EBAY. You could also consider a donation to one of the organizations that help women get back on their feet after going through difficulties.

Devsmama
04-13-2009, 04:05 PM
When my mom passed, I gave all of her stuff away (she was a size 8-10). I gave it to several homeless shelters and a women's organization that helped women find jobs.

Tomato
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
I think it took me a while till my weight loss translated into a smaller clothing size but I really did not buy anything except for a single pair of jeans - once the old pair started became too baggy, I bought a new pair. I ddid not want to drop too much money on new clothes as my weight loss went fairly ok and I was confident I would keep going (like the Energizer Bunny). It was exciting though to be able to buy smaller sizes.
Don't worry, you will get there, too!!!

Buttercup
04-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Before I started my weight loss journey I detested clothes shopping. Even if I found something cute in womens often it did not look right on me. Now that I am losing I haven't gone shopping yet but I am so excited for the day that I do! It keeps me motivated and I love to look at the new fashions for summer now. Even sandals! I have wide feet made even wider by my weight so I am looking forward to shrinking feet!!!:D

KnitALisa
04-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Right now, it's pretty depressing. I've regained about 15 lbs so it's hard not to beat myself up when I see how things fit.

That being said, I am very much looking forward to shopping in my closet. I have some really cute and classic items from 150-180 lbs that I can't wait to be back into, including this dark wash jean skirt that makes my bum look awesome!

PinkyPie
04-13-2009, 11:48 PM
I hate it, in general. We don't have a lot of Plus Size stores here so the selection is absolute crap for my tastes. I did a bit of shopping in Scotland last weekend and it was a bit better, but I still end up usually just saying "forget it" about halfway through my shopping trips.

xpinkglowx2
04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
im really tall so, for me its hard to even know what size i am because it takes a little bit of weight loss before my sizes change. however, i do know that all of my clothes are too big. I dont want to shop yet because i still have about 35 pounds to go... but i miss shopping so much!!!!!!!!!! lol i just want to lose this damn weight already so i can buy some clothes!!!! however.. .today i have to go swimsuit shopping... because im going to florida on friday... eek.

Savora
04-14-2009, 02:43 PM
to me shopping is depressing because i was thin for 10 years and now im in the 2x sizes, so it doesn't interest me that much.... i'm waiting till im back down to 145 before i shop again, i have clothes that will fit me while im losing weight because i bought them while i was gaining weight... so shopping is not in my immediate outlook..good luck to you though

SweetScrumptious
04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
It can be very depressing for me. At times, I see clothes that I instantly fall in love in - But, I know they won't fit me the way I want them too. So, I avoid clothes shopping as much as possible because I'm soo picky and I don't want to be constantly disappointed.

I'm using "new, smaller" clothes as a motivation for me. Soon, I will know I can wear all those pretty clothes I see!