Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #1  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Default weight lifting questions

For the last couple of months, I have done pretty well at hitting my cardio goal, usually on a treadmill. I decided to add some strength training using gear we already had, but it just isn't working: I don't have enough room, I don't have a bench, and I don't even really feel like I am doing the exercises right. And I don't like it!

But I am already using the treadmill at a rec center --- why not just use their weight machines, too? I have used weight machines back in the dim past and so today, I looked around and figured out how to set up what was there.

My question is --- for you folks that are serious lifters (and I know we have several people here who qualify for that), what machines do you use?

This rec center has: leg press, chest press, back extension, ab crunch, lat pull-down, overhead press, rotary calf, seated leg curl, seated leg extension, and a combination seated row/rear delt (left red picture) There is no butterfly (right drawing picture), no bicep/tricep, no inner/outer thigh, no squat and no assisted pullup (which I only like because it is the biggest machine in the gym). I can probably figure out how to do bicep, tricep and squats with free weights --- but what about those thigh things? Does this sound like a complete enough set?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #2  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I definitely use the leg press, chest press, lat pulldown, and leg curl. For everything else I use a bench and free weights. You can do squats and lunges using free weights. You can also do a bench press, french curl, overhead press using free weights and either a decline or incline weight bench. For ideas go to muscleandfitnesshers.com. They have some basic information that is useful in teh type of exercises that are effective.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am a serious lifter, and my answer is...none of the above.

I find I get a way better workout doing a variety of exercises with body weight, dumbbells, etc. Machines just don't hit my muscles as effectively, or require as much stabilization, so they don't get me the same results.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #4  
yay! summertime!

Thank you, DevsMama and Mandalinn82! Your advice makes sense, especially that bit about using muscles to hold yourself stable to do the free weights (almost sounds like a core workout right there!) I have been told that it is easier for beginners to start on the machines --- and right now, being call a beginner would be something of a compliment. But if I am not going to get as good results with the machines….. hmmm…..

If I am going to end up doing free weights (which sounds like a real possibility), I am going to have to get some real help from the trainers at the rec center. Those darn dumbbells don’t come with the picture and instruction set like the machines! Again, thanks!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #5  
Takin it 1 day at a time

S/C/G: 200/165/130

Height: 5' 6"

Use them all - figure out what you like. The BEST workout - is of course, the one you will continue to do.

I personally, like to use the machines in a "super circuit" style. When I get to the gym I don't generally have a lot of time to spend, so I incorparate my cardio with my strength training. Try to use the machines so that you hit every body part. Legs, arms, shoulders, abs, back, etc. Go from each piece of equipment without rest - do a complete circuit (each body part) once - then go again. Try to keep going for at least 30 minutes.

For the weight lifting that you don't have machines available - use free weights.

Last edited by debbies; 04-07-2009 at 08:33 PM.
debbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

As a newbie, I think the machines are a good place to start. After a few weeks, maybe you can get a trainer to show you the correct way to workout with the free weights.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would say definitely stay away from the machines Free weights will give you a better overall workout and will help you develop a stronger core. You can also switch moves pretty easily while using free weights.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I'm a beginner too! I looked around and found stumptuous (it has a beginner plan) and I use sparkpeople because they have a section that tells you how to do the moves correctly. Just thought I'd throw those tidbits out her for you to check out!.

I do two days a week at the moment and I'm basically on week 5 and I've tweaked the workouts, finding work outs to strengthen my knees and i do up and lower body at the same time. So this is my workout right now.

5 minute warm up on bike/elliptical or treadmill whatever is available.
I also use either machines or free weights
bench press with weighted bar
leg press on machine
lat pull on machine
step-up on steps
row on machine
calve raises
shoulder press with free weights
leg raises on machine
tricep on machine

I've moved up to 2 x 15 reps, I do them right after each other with the elliptical in between each set to get my heart rate up a bit.

Last edited by SnowboundChick; 04-08-2009 at 01:08 AM.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #9  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
As a newbie, I think the machines are a good place to start. After a few weeks, maybe you can get a trainer to show you the correct way to workout with the free weights.
I agree with Rhonda. I started with machines, but have brached out with the free weights. I keep moving more and more into the free weights, but the machines were a good place to start to build some strength first.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Machines are an OK place to start but you will eventually want to switch to free weights because you get a much better workout with them. I bought Weight Lifting for Dummies which has good, illustrated instructions on how to use free weights. I recommend it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #11  
yay! summertime!

I have heard the phrase “circuit training,” Debbies, but only had a vague idea of what that meant. I like your idea of combining strength and cardio in a “super circuit’ to maximize results while minimizing time. I will have to use the machines or weights slowly for a while until I know how to set things up, but I will definitely be revisiting this idea once I know what I am doing. Thank you!

Rhonda, that sounds like a reasonable compromise. I think one of the advantages of using the machines might be just to get over the fear of weight training in general. (Fear is too strong a word, but you know what I mean.) I need to build up some confidence about even being on “that” side of the rec center, and I think the machines will help there. But --- as everyone has been telling me --- I will want to get into the free weights as fast as I can. Thanks for you input!

You are right in line with just about everyone I talked to, Nelie! And most people were speaking from personal experience, saying that they just flat out got better results when they made the change from the machines to the free weights --- it’s hard to argue with a whole platoon of people who went through this themselves. So, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Siuan, thank you for the link to stumptuous! The article on weights was very helpful. It’s hard to find information that is designed with people my size in mind. And thank you for including your actual work-out ---- looks you are hitting it hard! With the elliptical in-between your sets, you are doing something like Debbie’s super-circuit, combining the strength building with the cardio --- smart lady! I have printed out your workout so I have a plan when I go to the gym, so thank you a lot!

I will be following in your footsteps, Slashni: mostly machines to start with but moving onto the free weights as soon as it makes sense. And I sort of feel like I will have a whole lot of cyber-company when I am there --- there are a LOT of 100+ folks that are using the weights. So, if I need a little emotional pat on the back, I will just imagine that you guys are all there on the other machines and I won’t feel nearly so out of place. (Or such is the theory!) Thank you for your input!

Ah, DCHound, I should have known there was a “For Dummies” book on the topic, since there seems to be one on every topic. That sounds like a really good recommendation. A male friend of mine loaned me the book that he started with (he has since graduated to a personal trainer) and it was the most confusing thing! Several different kinds of equipment, 6 different kinds of exercises that you did in different amounts on different days --- it just way too much complication! The “For Dummies” series usually has good information simply presented --- sounds perfect! Thank you for another great tip!

Thank you everyone for the great advice and information. The rec center has trainers that do orientation sessions on Fridays, so I will meet with them tomorrow and be ready to go for next week. I am actually looking forward to this! Thanks again!