WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/330/300

Height: 5'2"

Default Am I right- points question

Ok I get 40 points a day. From what I understand, I could, hypothetically, use all 40 on like tuna or something. It doesn't seem to matter what you use the points for. Is that right? I do not intend to eat just tuna for a day.... well, it could happen, but am I reading the literature right?
Makare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makare View Post
Ok I get 40 points a day. From what I understand, I could, hypothetically, use all 40 on like tuna or something. It doesn't seem to matter what you use the points for. Is that right? I do not intend to eat just tuna for a day.... well, it could happen, but am I reading the literature right?
In theroy you are right however that will not achieve what you are wanting wich is weight loss. I have always found it best to spread my points out throughout the day in 3 to 4 hour time spans makeing my snacks in the 1-2 point range. Dont forget you also get your additional 35 points to do what you want with for the week (I use that for one special treat per week, some divide it up into days)

A typical day goes like this for me600am

Breakfast 6-7 am
Snack 9am(fruit)
Snack 10am (Carb)
lunch 12 noon
Snack 2pm (yogurt)
Snack 330pm Fruit
Snack 53pm (this is a zero point snack veggies, progresso soup
Dinner 700pm
830 Snack (Always a WW 1 point fudge bar)

I try very hard to choose from the filling foods list.

Hope this helps you
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The Healthy Guidelines are very important. Points (or calories, for that matter) are a lot like money, just because you can spend your entire paycheck on shoes, doesn't make it a good idea.

My understanding of the new Momentum system is that WW is paying even more attention to where the points come from, so they're telling clients even more that it matters.

There's a decent amount of research that suggests that poor diet can slow weight loss in a number of ways, so even though the WW plan may allow you to eat an unbalanced diet, doesn't mean that your results will be the same. Small things like decreases in energy (fatigue) - even if the difference is so subtle you don't realize you have less energy, can add up to several hundred fewer calories burned without you even realizing much if any difference in your motivation or habits. You may sleep only a few minutes more, or be a little less motivated to exercise or cut your workout short by a few minutes (none of these sound very significant, but they can add up quickly). Body processes that you don't even feel can change also to be more efficient - if your blood pressure drops, you're burning less fuel but how would you know if your blood pressure dropped only a few points. Or if digestion slowed a bit and took a little longer. Would you know if your temperature dropped a half degree (my normal body temperature is lower than average, sometimes dropping under 97.0 - since I switched to a lower, healthy-carb diet, my body temperature is creeping up toward normal - is it the diet or the weight loss? Probably a bit of both).

Last edited by kaplods; 09-24-2009 at 03:11 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 269.6/ticker/119

Height: 5'3.5"

I think you may have better results ie weight loss & health benefits if you follow the healthy guidelines that are provided in the materials.

5 Servings Vegetables & Fruits
2 servings of lean meats
2 tsp healthy oils ie olive oil, flaxseed oil etc
2 to 3 Servings Diary
6 8oz glasses of water
1 Multivitamin
Whole Grains
30 minutes of activity a day

The points you have left after you fulfill your healthy guideline checklist on your daily tracker can be used how you see fit either on more healthy and filling foods or if you want to have a 'treat' that's OK too as WW accounts for that.
LifetimeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

the way I understand the program, hypothetically, yes, you could. In the end, you're still reducing calories. Although I can't imagine how badly you might smell if you ate nothing but tuna all day.

But like others have said, the point of the program is to learn to manage healthy foods, proportions and a better lifestyle. So while eating tuna follows the "rules" its not following the spirit of the program. I always try to stick to the guidelines as close as possible while concentrating on making sure I stay within my points range.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote