PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Question Anybody know anything about hashimoto's thyroiditis?

I just got back from the endocrinologist who diagnosed me with that as well as the PCOS. wondering if i should just resign myself to being fat. cards seem really stacked against me.

Does anybody else have this/know anything else about it?
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

My dad has it, but I don't know much about it. He takes medication for it (I don't remember what it's called), and it doesn't seem to affect his life much. I don't know if it would be different for women. At least you got diagnosed and can start treatment now. Good luck!
Genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I've had hashimotos for 16 yrs, well, that's when I was diagnosed anyway.
I do have a harder time losing but it can be done. I've taken synthroid since diagnosis.
If you'll go to the Ameican Thryoid Association site (just google it), there is some info there on hashimotos.
Oh 2 be me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #4  

I was diagnosed with it at the same time I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. It is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the thyroid. Make sure that you get your neck checked regularly, my surgeon told me that people with Hashimotos have a higher risk of thyroid cancer. It's good that yours was found, I guess I had had it for many years without diagnosis or treatment. Once they get your thyroid hormones regulated you should find it easier to lose weight, it will still take lots of work, but you will find you feel much better. Good luck and don't give up
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote