Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default how to get out of the cycle of binging?

I've been telling myself everyday I'm going to get back on track and stick to things...but by the end of the day I'm giving in. Tonight I had a half of a bag of cookies. Why couldn't I stop at just 2 or 3? It's almost a habit at this point. My mom hasn't been well, so this is mostly stress related.

How do you break it when it's an everyday thing? Since I've been eating alot my stomach also gets that empty feeling when I don't eat as much as usual and I feel hungry (I think it's that in between time till your stomach shrinks). I hear Jillian Michaels recommends taking fiber supplements, so I guess I will try that to help fill me up, but as most of you know even when you are full you can still eat.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #2  

Try to supplement drinking water instead...I have found that I often think my body is telling me I'm hungry (and allow myself to binge because of it) when I'm actually thirsty. I have definitely been in a place where it is a daily habit to binge on things like cookies, and it wasn't easy to stop. I found what worked best for me (not for everyone, but it helped me a lot) was planning out my meals everyday, making sure I was getting in enough carbohydrates, protein, and fat (as well as fiber) so that my body wasn't asking me to eat more. After that it is a mental game....me against the cookies. I also find that if I allow myself a small treat after dinner (like a sugar free fudgsicle, a vitatop muffin, or some sugar free pudding) i feel satisfied and it sort of seals my eating for the night because it's dessert...

Last edited by sweet_talker; 03-19-2009 at 12:00 AM.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #3  

I have been try to drink water instead, but it doesn't work. so I eat fruits instead that. Now it indeed work on me. Different people have different way.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #4  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Just managed to break out of mine (feeling very smug, please ignore) and I would suggest:

1. Plan what you're going to eat the day before.
2. Go cold turkey off trigger foods and junk.

Took me about three days to stop wanting cake for every meal
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ahh, and where did the cookies come from? Get them out of the house, throw them away.
I have to keep junk food out of the house, I just can't handle it. Don't know if it will ever be ok.
If I do buy some, I try to get it the day of the occasion I want it for. So if I buy a pie, its for dessert for guests, I get a piece. (maybe off plan, but not a binge). Same for cookies, they are ok if I have someone coming for tea, who will eat them.
Got through the stress of my dads illness with lots of knitting, kept my hands too busy to eat all the time.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I am the same way with junk food..it is a major trigger. Before you binge...address your feelings...I usually find when I start to binge on cookies or cakes it is because I am thinking I haven't had any in a long time and I deserve it...but sugar means insulin release..and insulin release means sugar cravings...especially if you have a higher insulin response than most people..

I have eaten whoe packs of Chocolate chip cookies before with the intention of just having "one"
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

Height: 5'4"

i think i have finally come to the realization that i cant just have one... you always hear moderation moderation moderation, well guess what? i cant do it because one means the taste is in my mouth and i want more. so for now, its no sugar. perhaps one day i will be mentally strong enough for just one, but not now.

perhaps that is how you are as well?

Last edited by JenniCole; 03-18-2009 at 10:28 AM.
JenniCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #8  

yes, jennicole..i have to be VERY careful..because cookies, chips, cake, pastries..are a trigger for me...and I CAN'T eat just one...one day I will be able to...but while I'm losing weight..these things are pretty much a no, no for me.

however, tapioca pudding and dark chocolate bits don't seem to be as bad for me. these are my sweet treats...
Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 131/131/124

Height: 5'5

I have been trying to get trigger foods out of my diet ...I WENT TWO DAYS WITHOUT SUGAR and then I WOKE UP AT 3AM and sugar binged. My stomach is like Santa's which makes it uncomfortable to exercise.(I did manage to get a run in this morning anyway, I had to drop my car off to get fixed and my legs were my only way home (thank you Lord!).

I will however NOT QUIT QUITTING!!!!

God - please give us the power (as we obviously do not have) to ream us from binging! AMEN!!!
thejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 193/190-ish/140

Height: 5'7"

Thejourney, if I go for two or three days without sugar, I get incredibly cranky and edgy. Hang in there! I'm trying to get my eating back on track as well. You can do it!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #11  

I wish I knew how to stop.It is so frustrating.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/173/150

I have on hand the 'diet' versions of sweets for myself, as I do keep some sweets on hand for my kiddo. My fave is hot chocolate, I make it really hot and it takes ages to drink and tastes great. I am actually having a cuppa right now with popcorn. Perfect.
myrrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #13  

I also want to say two things...sugar cravings that bad are either your adrenals crying out for help which incidentally decrease production at 3 am...

this is why people with adrenal fatigue tend to feel sleepy at 3-5pm..
get a second wind.
feel sleepy at about 9-10 pm but resist going to sleep
then they will start feeling sleepy again at about 2-3 am.
may wake up in the middle of the night between 3-5am and can't sleep.

the adrenals are on a cycle...

here is the link between cortisol and stress and your adrenals and your sugar cravings:

Cortisol (The Hormone of Death)

The most important anti-stress hormone in the body is cortisol. Cortisol protects the body from excessive stress and adrenal fatigue by:

Normalizes blood sugar - Cortisol increase blood sugar level in the body, thus providing the energy for the body to physically escape threat of injury in order to survive. Cortisol works in tandem with insulin from the pancreas to provide adequate glucose to the cells for energy. More energy is required when the body is under stress from any source, and cortisol is the hormone that makes this happens. In adrenal fatigue, more cortisol is secreted during the early stages. In later stages of adrenal fatigue ( when the adrenal glands become exhausted), cortisol output is reduced, and blood sugar balance becomes a problem.

I strongly recommend an adrenal herb such as shisandra...

as well as a yeast cleanse...yeast can PROGRAM your body to want sugar and need sugar to multiply..so if you have a high yeast population you WILL CRAVE sugar more...

wake up in the morning...first thing..keep a clear glass of bottled water..by your bed..spit in it..I know yuck...but watch what happens..if your spit starts to grow extensions like leg-looking things this is a sign of excess yeast...

here are specific instructions:

Spit into the cup of water. Let the saliva sit in the glass for 15 minutes and observe how it behaves. If the spit clears up and dissolves as it should, you have nothing to worry about. However, if you see any of the following, it indicates a presence of yeast and Candida in your body:

Your saliva stays at the top and you see thin strands that look like strings or spider legs extending downward.

Your saliva floats to the bottom and looks cloudy.

Your saliva is suspended in mid-air and looks like little specs are floating.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 115/115/100

Height: 5'3"

I see myself here! MAN! It is good to see others go through what I do.

Carbs, esp pasta, are my downfal. Maybe I need to go cold turkey off pasta.
mycousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

One tip I would give you is to find some things that give you a feeling of health and well being, and use them in place of the binging. If you feel like your life is out of your control, then you're going to go out of control yourself.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote