Weight Loss Surgery - Gastric Bypass Questions From a Dummy

xbubloox
03-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Hello Girls,

I have a few questions - I am 22 Days Post Op, and now I can finish 3/4 of food. Is this okay? Another example... You know those microwavable hormel chili, with the plastic lid with holes? I can eat one of those now with no problem at all. Is this ok? please tell me......I do not want to over eat and stretch my pouch.... How much do you think i should be eating right now?:?:

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Have you thought about eating something that is not processed and frozen? You can't imagine how much sodium and preservatives and other forms of crap are in that food.

Make your own chili.

I don't know anything about this sort of surgery so I can't help you with that, but I can tell you with a reasonable degree of certainty that convenience foods are not going to get you to where you want to go.

xbubloox
03-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Any more advise from anyone please:) Pref people who have had gastric bypass.. Please tell me how much you were able to eat at 1 month post op... I mean the amount....Thanks :)

missangelaks
03-18-2009, 01:07 AM
one of those chilis is about a cup...that's a bit much at one sitting for just after surgery...I would call your surgeon's support staff and tell them what your diets amounts and content and see what they would suggest.

You can, if you take your time, eat enough to stop the benefits of surgery. Call and find out what you should be eating...they gave me very specific diet and when to eat what, that sort of thing.

Good luck honey! Let us know how things go.

Angela :hug:

nanj
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
What does your WLS manual say that you should be eating at this time? Not all ways to approach WLS are the same. I was on a week of clear liquids, three weeks of full liquids, a week of pureed, a week of soft and than a time to explore. So, where are you at with your plan as it was given to you? I'm 17 mos out and I can only eat about 1/2c. to 3/4 c. at a time but I eat about 5 or six times a day. I doubt very much if you have full sensation in your belly to tell rather you are full or not, so how about setting a limit for yourself of about 1/4 to 1/2 c. of food at a time. Tiny bites, two minute in between bites, chewed to baby food consistency. I just read a book called "Gastric Bypass Surgery: Everything you need to know to make an informed decision" by Mary P. Mc Gowan, M.D. with Jo McGowan Chopra. They state that as a general rule it should take you about 10 minutes to eat an ounce of food. It also gives your brain time to realize that you have had enough. BUT.....Go with what your nutritionist and your written material tells you.

jiffypop
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
i agree - 1 cup of food sounds like a bit too much. it's been a LONG time since those days, but i think i was eating about 1/4 cup at a time.

when do you go back to your surgeon? it might help to review with him/her the program.

KO
03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
i'd stick to 1/4 to 1/2 but definitely check with your doc!

xbubloox
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
So if I stay at 1/2 I will be fine?

jiffypop
03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
see how that goes, blu.

and may i make a request?????? it's the title of this thread - requests from a DUMMY???? darlin - sweetie - please don't call yourself a DUMMY, even as a joke. there's this concept that we believe what we say about ourselves - we ALL have to [had to? still struggle with?] change the way we talk to ourselves, and how we refer to ourselves. the more positive we can be, the better off we are

you're not a dummy. you might be struggling, or confused, or ya got questions, or whatever - but you're not stupid.

missangelaks
03-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I second that Jiffy!! We are not dumb for having questions! We are only under-educated if we DON'T ask them...therefore, you are a smart one! See, it all comes down to how we look at things! You're doing great honey!

Angela

jonesk
03-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm so glad you posted this! I've been having the same issues.. worrying that I can eat too much and stuff. For me, it varies. A month or two ago, I ate those microwavable chilis too. I needed something easy to take with me that had a lot of protein. I could eat a whole one too, but sometimes I'd feel pretty full. I moved away from them because I figured now that I can eat more things I should move on to something a bit healthier.
It's been hard finding various foods to eat that are high in protein and not too much of a hassle. Recipes don't really work for me, and I feel like I'm always eating the same things day in and day out!

xbubloox
03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I hate recipes too! Don't have the time.... I am having 1 problem now though.... for the last 3 days... anything i even drink stays in my throat... i mean I can drink 4 oz. of protein shake, and even after 4 hrs... it is still right there in my asophogus and throat.... and the aching in my tummy... is it possible that there is something wrong with me...do i need to seek help?

Chickadee
03-20-2009, 08:51 PM
xbubloox,
I have a band, not bypass, but the feeling you describe is how it feels when something is blocking your stoma. Don't mean to scare you, but call your doc!

Chickadee

xbubloox
03-20-2009, 10:59 PM
UUUmmm , I think it may have been gas,,,, because i started burping alot, and passing.... and it just stopped... thank god.... anyone else ever get this problem.... i think because i have hormil chili b4 i was even 1 month post op gb...

jiffypop
03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
hmmmmm. part of it might be the chili, but also, please remember that you're still healing - those surgery wounds [inside too!!!!] are still quite fresh and sensitive.

the other thing is that chili is part liquid, part solid. and while that might make sense on some level, what also might be happening is that the 'liquid' part of the chili is pushing the 'solid part/ through your system faster than your doc might like it.

at your stage - oh so long ago - i was bravely entering the world of very thinly sliced deli turkey and deli roast beef - no liquid part. and chewing chewing chewing!!!!

xbubloox
03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
My surgeon says that my symptoms are normal with this surgery... Does not happen to everyone, but it does happen... It seems that my pouch was not emptying out fast enough therefore, whatever i am trying to drink will just back up into my asophogus and throat. So I was prescribed a medication to help my pouch to empty.... it seems that my pouch was not emptying at all, it just stopped.... and this medicine is as needed, not a regular thing... Thanks girls... I am all better now... It feels nice to drink again... water i mean...:)

annie175
03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Wow a cup of food 22 days out. I am 2 years out and only up to about 12 oz of food per sitting and I don't always finish that. Something is not right if you are eating that much in one sitting.

xbubloox
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I am not eating a whole cup of food.... I am eating half.. and i eat that over an hour....

annie175
03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Still at 22 days post op you should be about 2 oz per sitting, taking 30 minutes to eat that.

xbubloox
03-26-2009, 01:39 AM
wow, really? then how come I can eat more than that? what gives?
I am scared now!!! What do i do?

kaplods
03-26-2009, 02:53 AM
Didn't you get any guidelines from your surgeon? Do you have an aftercare or support group?

I can't recommend any good books, because I haven't had the surgery, but I know there are a lot of good ones out there. Maybe some one whose read some of them would have some input.

nanj
03-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Xbub...what does your dietetic instructions say how much you should be eating now? Now I'm gonna say something that might sound mean but isn't meant to be....Just because you can eat a cup full doesn't mean you should......I can eat a handful of french fries, but do you think I should? I remember someone thought their RNY failed because they could eat a whole sub, fries and so on. So they ate around their WLS and gained all their weight back and more. Don't get started on this route. Stop trying to feed your head. You probably don't have a sensation of being full yet. You will get what you need if you are doing your protein (2 to 4 ounces or 1/4 to 1/2 cup at this time), water and vits and supplements. Just eat small meals more frequently instead of trying to load up all at one time. Well.....if that is what your plan calls for. I know some plans say only three meals a day and no snacks in between. I sound like an old nag, but want you to do well for a lifetime.

xbubloox
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
I am not 22 days post op anymore. I am 1 month and 3 days......wow, big diff. lol

xbubloox
03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
nanj - I am eating 1/2 or less at one time, I have little healthy snacks, like string cheese, or apple sauce 2 oz. I think you are wonderful, for trying to help me. I do have my full sensors. I feel full right away, then I stop. then i wait to have my water, and enjoy sipping... I enjoy my chicken broth for dinner... feels nice and warm in my tum tum...:)

annie175
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I didn't eat that much till 6 mos post op, then not even that. DON'T PUSH YOURSELF TO EAT MORE.

xbubloox
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
But I am not you, and i am sure that everyone else is not like you either... Please, I am not trying to be mean, but my surgeon says that half cup is perfect for me. I am not pushing myself. I am doing fine.

jiffypop
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
bu - most of us were told that we could eat for a total of 20-30 minutes at a time, and if we hadn't finished our plate - WE HAD TO STOP ANYWAY. it's REAL hard [for me anyway!] to get over that 'clean plate club' concept.

i'm mentioning this because you said that you were taking an hour to eat your chili.

talk with your surgeon about this - it's real important, because you're setting yourself up for the rest of your life!!! this is a second chance to re-learn everything that you knew [or thought you knew!] about food and eating. not everyone receives this gift.

We' re with ya, darlin!