Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #1  
angelmom313

Default Closed facebook acct because I am fat.

I just turned 40. I am about 60 or 70 pounds overweight, depending on what range I want to be at...okay, let's say 70 pounds. I am 5'1" (short) and I weigh 200! I cannot believe I weigh this. I NEVER thought I would. I used to be in the military. I used to run. I used to be healthy. Now, I just recently got in touch with old high school classmates on facebook and all the pics of myself are from 4 years ago when I was 50 pounds thinner. So, out of disgust, I closed my facebook account. I feel like I was just hiding behind those pictures (mostly facial shots or chest and above, even those pics were overweight). I have tried Atkins, South Beach, Nutri-system, Jenny Craig...lots of money! I have been injured and cannot exercise like I want to and I don't want to starve! What am I to do? I need support and a buddy or two. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

First off -- welcome to the group! I hope you find the support you are looking for...

As for what to do, it sounds like you've made the first step by deciding that you have had enough! Each person has to decide for themselves which plan will work for them; for me personally, I have never done anything prescribed plan... I just eat healthy food and focus on portion control -- lots of salads, steamed vegetables, fruits, whole grain breads, and lightly prepared (ie, no sauces etc) chicken, meat, or fish.

You need to decide what the right approach is for you, and then throw your heart into it. It sounds like you are at that point where you know you need to do something and are committed to making it work.

As for not being able to exercise - is that short term or long term? If you can't do cardio workouts, can you still get out and walk? Or maybe swim?

Good luck, and welcome again!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I know personally, I tried South Beach Diet before, and it didn't work for me. In 6 days, I gave up.

But suddenly, last year, I decided to try it again. I found this website, read the book again, and somehow, flipped this switch in my little brain.

Not saying that you should do south beach (although I love it!!), but that the big two things you need are--- frame of mind...you need to be ready!!, and support. This site has helped so much with guidance, recipes, etc. etc. I KNOW I would not have lost the weight without 3FC!!

Good luck!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Glad you found us. You will find that there are many, many chickies here losing weight in spite of many, many obstacles in their lives. We even have a forum dedicated to dieting with obstacles!

You CAN do this! Personally, I love calorie counting. But it really doesn't matter what plan you choose - just pick one that works for you!

Again - you CAN do this!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #5  
angelmom313

Thanks for the supporting words. I think I am going to start using a food journal because I don't realize the calories I am taking in. I appreciate the helpful comments.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #6  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi Anita, Welcome to the group. You have come to the right place; you will find a wealth of information and the support you need for a lifestyle change. We each have our own bottom and I would like to believe I reached mine back in December. Mine was the fear I would miss out on my 1 year old grandson's life if I didn't make a change.

The first thing I had to do was stop dieting. Diets have a start and an end and I wanted a lifestyle "change"; something I could live with for life. The second thing was to eat less and move more..... It really is that simple.

I use FitDay and log everything I eat; I restrict nothing and if it's in the budget (1400-1500 calories) and I want it I have it. Having said that eating crap is not very filling and leaves me wanting more crap. I'm big on eating protein with every meal or snack because it keeps my energy up and hunger away. Like NewLeaf I eat a lot of fruit and veggies; lots and lots of veggies. Veggies I NEVER thought I liked.

You really are in the right place if you are ready for change. As for FaceBook I joined around the same time I joined 3FC and I too had several older pictures up because I didn't want people to know I was fat. I had just seen many of them at our 25th reunion the year before and had put 30 lbs. back on (yea, I lose the same 30 lbs on a regular basis but that's a different subject).... anyway after about a month I posted some more recent pictures in my albums and just a few weeks ago I added a weigh loss and exercise ticker. I personally love being in touch with people from high school; many that I was never friends with before but now enjoy chatting with.

Sorry to ramble; you sound like I felt three months ago.... YOU CAN DO THIS!!! We are all here to help you. 3FC has threads on just about everything you need to make positive changes in your life.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 03-17-2009 at 08:35 AM.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #7  

Welcome to the group! I just turned 40 not too long ago as well. It can be a rude awakening huh? I decided to make a change at that point and plan on never going back. Like CAT I made a lifestyle change and am not on a diet. I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life. I try my best to eat healthy most of the time but still once in awhile eat whatever I feel like. I want to live and live well not just get by. I feel better than I have in a long time and have tons more energy. You came to the right place for support. This place rocks!! Good luck in your journey!
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #8  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Angel!

Welcome aboard! I empathize with where you are - I'm an ex-jock, and there just comes that day when you really SEE what's happened to your body. I must have been looking past myself in the mirror for a decade or so! I've been logging every bite in my planner since Feb 9, and applying what I know about nutrition. Like CAT, I don't refuse to eat anything. The only thing I won't do any longer is be ignorant about what I'm eating. Every choice has a price ... but I've discovered that my 1700 calorie a day average can include a whole lot of wonderful good foods. I can honestly say I have not been hungry this entire month plus one week!

Tremendous amount of wisdom to be found in the Maintainer's forum. It's really great to see what it takes to be successful year after year, and there are some true professionals in 3FC!

I'm also especially fond of the Goal and Mini-Goal forum. Anytime I start to wonder why I'm doing this, or think it might be too hard, I go have a look at the photos and stories. I'll bet I averaged an hour a day on this site in February, when I was getting started.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #9  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom313 View Post
Thanks for the supporting words. I think I am going to start using a food journal because I don't realize the calories I am taking in. I appreciate the helpful comments.
That's what I did. I found a food & exercise journal at Borders book, on the clearance wall for $3, it's for 12 months. Tracks everything.
Hi all~ I'm Cathy, just cruising the boards looking for a place to fit in.
Catsgetnhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote