Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #1  

Wink I know, I know, another recipe question!!!

I want to make this dish, and I know how to figure out all the calories for each ingredient, and then add them all up, figure out how many servings, etc.
But this recipe I would like to see how we could make it lower in fat

2 Boxes Artichoke Hearts
Salt, Pepper
1 Shallot
Lemon Juice
white wine vinegar
Dijon Mustard
Basil Leaves
Capers
Roasted Red Pepper
red onion
parsley
white wine vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil

As you can see there are hardly any calories in this dish, except for the Olive Oil. If I use 1/2 cup of Olive Oil that is 960 Cal. and 112 fat grams
I know that I can divide it upon the servings, but the recipe says it makes 6 servings.

The Olive Oil is for the homemade Vinaigrette dressing that covers the roasted artichoke hearts. What do you think it would taste like if I use a lot less? How much less do you think I can go? If I used the whole 1/2 cup plus the fat in the other ingredients, that would be around 20 grams of fat per serving. I know it's the healthy fat, but it's still fat.

Thanks!!
cathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #2  

What ingredients, besides the olive oil, have fat? The roasted peppers?

Try the obvious: make the dressing with NO olive oil, and add a tablespoon at a time until it reaches a level that tastes good to you.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #3  

No, I got the roasted peppers in water instead of oil.
The Artichoke Hearts have 3 grams of fat. I'm not worried about the fat in the veggies, just the oil.
Thanks I will try that.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Good fat is fine and really doesn't need to be limited IMO. If you are concerned about the calories, than why not use a low-fat bottled dressing that you like? If you like them--personally I don't.

Otherwise my question would be, how much dressing does it need? Most vinaigrette recipes are of a ratio of 3-1 (the 3 being the oil), but I prefer mine to be 1-1. If you did that and upped the vinegar it'd cut down on the oil.

I personally don't follow the whole low-fat thing (most nutritionist would agree these days.) Having a diet too low in fat is actually bad for you, so if you are cutting fat in one area, make sure you are getting enough in another (good fats that is.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

With recipes like this, I frequently sub store-bought, low fat vinaigrette for the dressing called for in the recipe. It's easier and lower in calories.

Another idea would be to find a recipe for a low-fat vinaigrette--try CookingLight.com--and sub that for the dressing in the recipe.

I've also found that dijon mustard mixed with red wine vinegar, sea salt, and pepper makes a great vinaigrette type dressing. So maybe try subbing dijon mustard for part of the olive oil.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Try using 1/4 cup of olive oil or even less. You will need a little at least so that dressing will cover the vegetables, but I usually find that I don't miss the oil that much when I significantly reduce it in a recipe.

I also like Blue's idea of using mustard instead of oil to bind the dressing.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #7  

Thank you all so much!!
I am going to make this today, so I will look at the options and see which one will taste the best.
I will let you know how it turns out, and if anyone wants the whole recipe, let me know and I'll get it to you.
My mom has fixed it before and it was really good. You eat it cold, so it's a nice dish to have in the fridge, to snack on.
Thanks again,
Cathy