Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

Default Pmdd

Hey,
This is going to sound real funny when I say I have a Master's degree in Clinical Psychology, but 1) I only just finished school and I have never had a job in my "field," and 2) from the perspective that "even doctors get sick" I guess this will make more sense.

I have a doctor's appointment coming up very soon, but in the meantime I've been dealing with on a monthly basis, severe depression that lands right at my TOM. I mentioned it to my doctor last year, and for a year I've been on Yasmin (birth control) for other reasons, but she told me it should even out my hormones and make my mood shifts less severe. The pill is helping with my other problems, but I seem to have WORSE mood problems than ever. I have been struggling with this for a very long time, I've lost friendships over it, relationships, it's been a significant role in my life, once a month. People simply cannot handle my depression and mood shifts during that time.

I will talk to my doctor when I go about medication issues, maybe switching pills or adding an antidepressant. But that scares me because of the weight gain associated with those meds. In the meantime, how do you guys cope? When I'm depressed, I go into the eat-cry-so eat more cycle and guilt really doesn't help the situation. I try to keep busy during the day, but at night it overwhelms me and it's all I can do to keep from going to the fridge..
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I most definitely get severe PMS...and probably it would be diagnosed as PMDD if I pressed the issue. EXCERCISE (and NO alcohol) helps *ME* more than any meds I have ever been prescribed. And seriously, if you can do anything other than feed your PMDD you might notice a significant weight loss each month. Most women on this sight talk about the TOM weight gain, and it strikes me a odd, because if I don't over eat and remain on my plan, I will always lose significant weight (2-4 pounds) during PMS/TOM. Now the mood swings do suck, but I warn everyone nowdays and they pretty much ignore me for a few days...lol

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-02-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

Height: 5'7

Fellow PMDD'er here! My eating is always out of control the week before my period. The other 3 weeks of the month, including the week of my period, I'm fine, but those darn hormones get me every time on the week before. And nights are the WORST.

I don't have really any useful advice on how to prevent all the emotional and over eating, because I still struggle with it. But no matter how bad my 'bad' week is, if I stick to my plan the other three weeks I always weigh less at the end of the month. I skip my weekly weigh in during that week and wait until next weekend, so it gives me a chance to get back to where I was. The key is to not let it effect the days and weeks you are in control.
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #4  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 225/157/135

Height: 5'5"

I haven't been technically diagnosed with PMDD, but my doctor has me taking regular birth control pills without taking a week off every month. I just go straight through and take off a week once every 3 months, so I only get my period 4 times a year. Before I started BC, I often couldn't get out of bed on the first day of my period because the cramps were so bad. Anyway, maybe you could ask your doctor about getting your period less often as one way to reduce these mood swings.
jen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #5  

I was FINALLY diagnosed with PMDD after many, many years of suffering. Ten days out of every month were miserable. I didin't have pain associated with TOM, but mental anguish. It was awful.

I switched to Seasonale birth control pills and it has changed my life (I also switched from Zoloft to Prozac at about the same time). I still have symptoms about 10 days per period -- but that's only 4 times a year! I didn't feel the full benefits for a few cycles but I would never go back. I just wish I would have done this sooner. So many years -- and tears -- wasted.

Good luck.
pegdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #6  

Default yasmin

My daughter was unable to take Yasmin because it caused her to have depression and anxiety. She was really a mess and it was effecting her life and her relationships. I finally convinced her to stop taking the pills and she returned to normal after a few months. There are many people who have reported the same reaction to this BC pill. I recommend you get off yasmin and try something without hormones or a different BC pill. Just google: Yasmin and depression and you will find a lot of information. My other daughter takes Yaz, which is similar to yasmin, and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. I would try this before going on antidepressants. Do a little research on BC pills and mood. I find that Doctors often don't understand this side effect because they can't relate to it. Good luck.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #7  

I am on 60 units of Celexa and have not gained weight. I plan my meals on a weekly basis, post it on the fridge, and that is what I eat. You don't have to gain weight on antidepressants. Its the choice of foods that make us gain. I get times when I just want to eat and eat. I have a huge bowl of raw veggies at the ready in the fridge and that is what I turn to. Get the medication you need.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote