General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default Really thought-provoking blog post

I'm not sure if any of you follow Charlotte Andersen's blog, The Great Fitness Experiment but it's a must read for me. Charlotte writes articulately and sensitively about her past experiences with ED, as well as abuse, but also shares hilarious stories about her monthly experiments with different kinds of fitness regimens and observations of human behavior.

One of her posts earlier this week was particularly interesting. She explores how society feels about food and sex, and which get looked down on more. I can't say it any better than she does, so I'll post the link and hope some of you find it as interesting as I did.

Why Food is the New Sex
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thanks so much for this, Jen. I really relate to these observations. In fact, just prior to reading your post & going to this woman's blog, I'd just written this in a post here on 3FC.

Quote:
This may just be how it feels to me, but some diets have made me feel as though I'm pledging myself to a religious sect when I embark upon them. There are texts to consult, to interpret the true words of the diet's leading evangelist. If I don't adhere strictly to the ritual or if I lapse in my strict practice, I feel like a failed acolyte. So it's less like science to me -- which is what I am kind of hoping for -- than like religion.
This woman is really onto something. I am sure of it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #3  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

thanks for the link! i'd never heard of her- but I'll be reading the blog now. That was a well written and thought-provoking look at being fat.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #4  
I can...and I will...

S/C/G: 202/196/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the post. Very interesting.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/177/135

This part really sticks out at me:

"If magazines are any indication, every woman in America would rather be known for being promiscuous than being a porker."

That is so true. If you look at a lot of magazines geared to women in their twenties (which I am), they feature headlines like, "How to be Great in Bed" right next to one that says, "The Secret to a Lean Tummy". Inside, there are articles full of sex tips, women writing in talking about their multiple sex partners, and ads for diet pills and exercise programs. I used to read Cosmo for the beauty product reviews and sometimes interesting celebrity interviews, but stopped my subscription because I couldn't read one more story about how to "satisfy men in the sack."
Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

The test of the thesis would be to ask any starlet or celebutante what she'd dread more:

1) NY Post story on her private sex tape which has made its way onto the Internet
2) Unflattering photo of her recent weight gain on cover of National Inquirer

Which one would enhance her career? Which one could sink it?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Which one would get her a reality TV deal?

Well, I guess a picture of her looking big could get her one, but only if it chronicled her weight loss efforts!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #8  
No description available.

Saef, I thought your comment was brilliant when I read it. And I think that blog post is right on the money.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Well, I spent about 3 hours on this blog today

What a great read.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote