Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/175/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Too much? Too little?

I'm just curious if what I've been eating recently is actually being beneficial, or if I'm just hurting my diet. Typically, this is what I'll eat in a day.

Breakfast:
Banana and two hard boiled eggs
Water

Mid-morning snack:
Carrots or some grapes

Lunch:
A salad with lowfat dressing
1/2 cup of nonfat cottage cheese
Fruit (grapes, apple, banana)
Water

Afternoon snack:
Usually whatever I have leftover from lunch, like some carrots or fruit or something.

Dinner:
It depends, but it's usually in the 400 calorie range
Water, or a glass of 2% milk if I feel like it

Dessert:
A 1/2 cup of jello sugar and fat free pudding or jello, or just a piece of valentine's candy. =] Just one piece.

Anything I should be doing more? Any foods I'm really missing?

Thanks!
raelinsetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

This is just my opinion, but it seems a little low. Have you had success with this in the past? Are you exercising as well? I find that plays a large role in my weight loss, if I work out too much and don't compensate by eating enough, I won't lose a pound. In fact, I am struggling with that right now and can't seem to find a happy medium.

Bob on Biggest Loser was talking to the youngest contestant about this very
mind set and basically rewired him into eating more. He told Bob that it was so hard for him because eating a lot is what got him into this mess and he didn't want to ruin his weight loss chances. He reluctantly agreed to eat more, and he lost 12 or 13 pounds that week (of course, that would probably take me seven weeks).
So with that, good luck to you in reaching your goals!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #3  

I am struggling with that happy medium right now. I'm actually eating more than I was before, but it still seems to be going no where. The reason I'm not eating any MORE than I am now is that my body doesn't feel like it needs more. I eat until my brain tells me I'm full (I make sure I eat slowly), and then I stop. If I get hungry again a few hours later, I snack on something healthy and down some water.

I do exercise occasionally, and should do that more, and will, once I move out this week and have more room and my own place to do it in
Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152.2/151.6/125

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi raelinsetzer,

I agree with mamaspank that you're not eating enough calories. Also missing from your diet is protein (unless you're having protein with your dinner) and saturated fat, which your body and brain need to function properly. I suggest counting your calories and making sure you're never below 1200. At your starting weight, you might want to be closer to 1500 and see how that goes. Look at the calorie counters FAQ for more advice on setting your calorie count.

To get more protein and fat with your snacks, try having hummus with your carrots, nuts or Laughing Cow (or other) cheese.
BabyGotBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
The reason I'm not eating any MORE than I am now is that my body doesn't feel like it needs more.
I think it's really hard to judge what your body needs based on how it "feels" to you. A better strategy, IMO, is to plan out what you're eating in advance--at least a few options for each meal and snack--and stay with that. I recently increased my calories on the recommendation of a fitness trainer, and at first I was uncomfortable with that and scared! But it seems to be working just fine.

Have you tried using an online tool like Fitday to see what your calorie total is for a day? Very helpful.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Where are the complex carbohydrates in your diet? Your body needs carbs. How about adding oatmeal or whole wheat toast to your breakfast? How about having a sandwich sometimes for lunch, instead of salad every day? With dinner, why not have some rice or potatoes once in a while?

I've decided it's my life's mission to convince people that carbs are not evil. Darn that Atkins for convincing the world that carbs are bad.

Last edited by jellydisney; 02-25-2009 at 07:08 AM.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 232/158/150

Height: 5"5

Are you losing weight with your current eating plan? I agree with the others that you don't have enough protein and complex carbs and probably not enough calories either. I would suggest adding some protein to your lunch, like maybe some chicken or turkey to your salad. Maybe for breakfast, only have one egg but then a piece of whole wheat toast or a whole-grain English Muffin.

I guess it just depends on what you can tolerate and how your metabolism works. We are similar in size/weight and I could not live on the diet you shared. It would be too low in calories for me and not enough substance to keep me full between meals.

I'm guessing since you are asking this question, that you are not losing the weight you want with this eating plan. As others have mentioned, although it goes against our thinking, you might want to try upping your calories, at least a few days a week, and see if that helps kick-start the weight loss for you. Maybe eat according your plan for two days and then on the third day add 200-300 more calories in the form of protein and complex carbs to your meals. Then go back to your plan for two more days and then up on the third day again.
TMG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #8  

Le sigh. You're right, Tina, it totally goes against my new mindset, but I'll try upping my calories. I figured I was kinda low on carbs, but I thought that having some eggs and the cottage cheese was eating alot of protein, especially since I normally have something with either lean beef or chicken in it for dinner.