PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Provera

Holy PMS.

I am taking a 10 day course of Provera for the 1st time to induce my period. Today I took my 9th pill & I have got what feels like a MEAN case of PMS. I'm sure this is a sign of worse things to come.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to deal? I seriously feel like I'm about to blow right now.
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #2  
Liane

S/C/G: 201/190/160

Height: 5'6"

I cannot believe that no one replied to your message....

Provera makes me bleed like a stick pig...I am sure you are over AF by now and have your questions answered by experience.

Hope it was not too bad.
leenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/250/140

Height: 5'4"

Call your doctor-you should have your period by now. The hormones can make you really PMS but is should pass.
Badgerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #4  

Thanks.....it's all over now thank god.

I cannot believe how much I was bleeding. I could not control it & basically just holed up in the house until it stopped.

Ridiculous.

That was not a fun ordeal at all! Hoping the period comes on it's own from now on. I'm not trying to go through that again.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #5  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Went through provera twice. That sh*t is EVIL. My stepmom, a doctor, said that it shouldn't make me bleed as much as it did. I was working at Kmart both times- once in the pharmacy as a tech, the other as a checkout girl. Both times I could barely stand, got very pale (a doctor in my line asked if I was alright, then told my supervisor and the manager on duty that I go home immediately) and bled so much that my *socks* were red (they were white when I got to work; dark pants are fantastic). The pain was unbearable. If I ever have to take it again, I will live in my bathroom for a week or two with a morphine IV.

As a matter of course, I get a little bloated during PMS, but my mood dips pretty low. My PMS got so bad the second time around, I called my ob/gyn one afternoon threatening to kill myself because my mood was *that* low. It was as if 9 years of PMS descended on me in one week.

A few weeks later, I saw him (as the routine) and he asked how I was doing- I told him that I would have to kill him next time he put me on that stuff (I was joking and he knew it). Then he put me on birth control to induce my cycles. If you don't have them regularly after this, perhaps suggest to your doctor to try birth control.

Cheers.
Mollz
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #6  

My docs suggestion was to go back on BC. But we're trying to get pregnant, so that's out.

After I get my weight under 300 I can start fertility meds & hopefully get pregnant. I never had these problems w/ my period so I'm also hoping as the weight goes my cycles will get back to normal.

I too had BAD PMS. I told my DF basically not to talk to me until after it was all over & I was not to be held liable for my actions.

Bad stuff. It definately did the trick tho. My doc says I have to do it every 3 months to keep my uterus healthy for pregnancy, unless I regulate on my own.

Man......what an ordeal. It was seriously like almost a month-long process. 10 days of taking the pills & horrible PMS........5 more days of waiting, waiting, waiting for AF..........10 days of bleeding. Sucked.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #7  
Im changing my life!

S/C/G: 209/159/155(for now)

Provera is a NIGHTMARE, but it works to restart your cycle, especially when you're TTC. I mean, if you arent ovulating, you cant get pregnant, so you need to "clean everything out" and start fresh for your next cycle.

For me it was 10 pills, and your period can start anywhere from 3-10 days after the last pill. Its HARDCORE PMS the whole time, and made me a moody psycho!

I will say 2 things to you hon!

1. Fertility meds worked for me! I had irregular periods, but by charting and Clomid, I now have 3 gorgeous children and my tubes are now tied. I know the journey, its long, but so ridiculously worth it. So if you ever need to talk or vent, please PM me.

2. Since Ive started losing weight (a bit longer than 2 months) my periods have gotten better. I went 5 months without one, had one naturally in January, and then just got one yesterday on my own. Skipping only 1 month for me is HUGE!

HUGS!
Vegaspunkermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #8  

For a long time provera made me very angry, I know strange. I once almost ran a guy over for approaching my car. He was mad over road rage and I would have protected my kids, but he smartened up and got back in his car. I had other s/e's too. The worst thing that has happened to me on provera, and it has happened a few times and one time I had an u/s and LH blood test (to prove I was ovulating), but Provera has actually made me ovulate. So now I take OPKs the 1st few days of provera, I watch them get darker, but if they get + I stop provera. Who would have thought that could even happen. My doctor even said I was unusual.

Last edited by Tamii; 03-10-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Tamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #9  

Thanks ladies! It was horrible, but we really want kids so it's worth it.......I guess.

Last year I lost about the same amount of weight that I have so far this year & my periods started coming regularly. I was so proud of myself for getting my period on my own....like I really accomplished something. Funny how exciting it can be just to get back to normal.

Isn't it wonderful being a woman?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #10  
Im changing my life!

S/C/G: 209/159/155(for now)

Chefs - It IS worth it, I promise!! I understand the struggle, because Ive been there, but I also want you to know there's an overwhelming joy at the end of that road.

I know exactly how you feel about getting your period on your own too, because I actually feel "normal" for once in my life. Like "Really, Im getting a period just like a regular woman?"
Vegaspunkermom is offline   Reply With Quote