General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Default Nadya Suleman and 14 babies

I read the Chatter Guideline Rules and basically it says we can talk about things as long as it doesn't get nasty or any name calling (even against who or what we are discussing!) So I hope we can keep it nice!

I have been following the Nadya Suleman story ever since I saw her interview the other night on the Internet. I am fascinated by this story for all the normal reasons like WHY she would do something like this and HOW she did it.

On one hand I feel sorry for her because she THINKS that by having 14 children she will get to experience motherhood but in reality I think she will never get to experience true motherhood just because of the hard logistics of taking care of that many children.

I mean even if she only spends 10 minutes feeding or nursing each kid that (14 X 10 mins.) is 2 hrs and 20 minutes and if you times that by 3 meals a day that is 8 hours a day feeding your kids!

Obviously she is going to need helpers.

But what about helping with dressing, bathing, brushing teeth, homework, soothing boo boos, changing diapers etc., etc. etc.,

JUST from a logistical standpoint I don't see how it can be done.

I wonder if she knew she was going to get so much negative feed back?

And I also feel sorry for her mother. I saw an interview with her and she just looks overwhelmed and tired. And that's just with SIX wait until she has EIGHT more!

So I think she will never experience the true full meaning of motherhood even though she is surrounded by children stacked to the ceiling!

It is like a person who desires above all else to be rich and acquires a room full of gold and diamonds stacked to the ceiling but cannot get out of the room because the door is locked... is he really rich then???

But on another hand I feel anger, because I wonder what kind of life those kids will have? I have read a lot of comments about the mother and many think she is selfish only thinking of herself but I was thinking maybe she is mentally ill?

Also I noticed that she has a website set up now to accept online donations.
For those that feel inclined they take credit cards, so you can plop down a credit card and let Nadya have a go at it! LOL!

I feel sorry for her but I'll take a pass on that!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #2  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

She may be mentally ill. I can understand longing to be a mother...but taking on EIGHT babies while you already have six?! That is just crazy!

I think it's ridiculous they (she, whoever) are asking for donations. I am sure she was in some kind of financial burden with six children on her own. Why, in this current economy, dig a hole deeper for yourself? Her kids are going to be deprived of a lot of things. Not only will they not have a father, the only parental time they will get will have to be divided...or shared.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #3  

I suspect the kids will be in the State system unless she DOES get finanacial and physical help.

I am the Mother of micro-preemie twins. My babies started out at 1 lb. 15 oz. and 2 lbs. 10 oz.- similar in size to the Octs. While I'm seriously impressed she could grow that many babies and relatively healthily, it is not physically possible for her to take care of them at home without at least 2-3 people at all times.

A preemie is very different than a full term baby. MUCH more work and care is needed. I only had 2 and yet by the time I pumped and feed them both, took care of the medical stuff etc., I only had 45 minutes to sleep before I had to start again. Fortunately I only had to live like that for 9 days. Then my Mommy came and we got to sleep for 1 1/2 hours between feedings.

My point is that she simply CAN'T take care of them because no one could. I hope they do get the help they need so they can be raised together as a family. If that means they bump John and Kate off the tv and have their own show, then it is sick but I guess that's what it takes.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

I haven't paid that much attention to the story, but I think she is after the attention. I just feel sorry for the kids, that's all.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormwoodDoll View Post
I think it's ridiculous they (she, whoever) are asking for donations. I am sure she was in some kind of financial burden with six children on her own.
The website was put up by her publicist who is based in LA.

News sources says Nadya she collected 165K from insurance (and her Mom didn't know anything about it or get and finacial help for the 6 kids she is taking care of) and her publicist (Killeen/Furtney Group) based in LA is not cheap. Also the same publicist says that she is sorting through the many offers to see which ones are the best (ie; pays the most probably! LOL)

I don't think the mother will be hurting for money any time soon at least for a while.

Now 10 years from now thats a different story assuming she still has the kids.

What's up with her lips??? I was looking at the interview and it looks like those injected duck lips some women are getting? They look like Angeline Jolie lips!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
What's up with her lips??? I was looking at the interview and it looks like those injected duck lips some women are getting? They look like Angeline Jolie lips!

Hahah! There's an article about her wanting to be Angelina Jolie!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kather..._b_165617.html
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #7  
it's always something

I read last night that all of the children are on foodstamps, and 3 of her first 6 receive disability checks.

All of the children, even the first 6, are the result of in-vitro fertilization. There has to be something wrong with the doctor that agreed to do this! The whole thing is warped on so many levels

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490269,00.html
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Additionally, Kaiser has submitted a huge chunk of her bill (~1 million) to the state for reimbursement.

Oh, and she lives in California, a state that can't even pay its employees.

I think the reason people have such a problem with this is that we're in a time where we're realizing the consequences of excess. When so many people are downsizing and going without certain things, you have Nadya Suleman.

I know it bothers me. DH and I desperately want to start a family, but are holding out because A) I'm uninsured and B) we just can't afford it. It would be irresponsible for me to have a child when I can't even afford to be pregnant.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I read last night that all of the children are on foodstamps, and 3 of her first 6 receive disability checks.
wow I didn't know that, on her interview she emphatically denied getting any kind of welfare insisting that she can take care of her kids after she gets her Master's Degree.

I'd like to know when she will even have time to go to school?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #10  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I feel so sorry for her children. Out of everyone, they are the ones that are going to suffer the most from this.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Jen~you nailed it. The operative word there is irresponsible. It was irresponsible for the doctor to have done the IVF and it is irresponsible for this woman to have had this many children.

We, the California taxpayers, will be paying for her children for the next 18 years.

BTW, I belong to another chat board and we've been discussing this story since the birth of the babies and not once did the thread turn nasty. Everyone had interesting thoughts to add to the thread, but the consensus from most is that this woman is totally whacked out!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #12  

wow I just read the the 165K she recieved in isurance money was in actuality disability payments that she was getting for the last almost 10 years!

So I don't think she has actually worked in a long time or how is it that she could collect disabilty for a supposed injury?

So maybe she does need money...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Old 02-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
wow I just read the the 165K she recieved in isurance money was in actuality disability payments that she was getting for the last almost 10 years!

So I don't think she has actually worked in a long time or how is it that she could collect disabilty for a supposed injury?

So maybe she does need money...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
With the way her publicist is handling her "story", there's no way she doesn't need money. I read early on that she was expecting baby companies like Pampers and Gerber to come through with goods donations like they do with other high profile births (think John & Kate + 8), but they wanted nothing to do with the situation.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I personally believe she may have decided to have all eight babies because of shows like "John and Kate Plus 8" and the other show about the family with 17 kids. They're getting PAID and semi-famous because of their larger than normal families. I think she already had her six and wanted more, and hopes this blows up into a new TLC show. If she was "just a mother wanting to take care of her kids" the way she's claimed, she wouldn't be doing the things she's doing.

I'm of the mind that rewarding this type of irresponsible behavior with money, TV show or any sort of publicity beyond what she's already gotten is just horrible.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #15  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...alth_octuplets

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...alth_octuplets
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote