Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/145/120

Height: 5'6

Default WW new...and have some questions

My name is Michelle and I am thinking about joining WW as well as actively posting on this forum. I've been reading posts lately but haven't been doing any posting. Everyone seems very helpful and nice unlike a lot of forums out there. Anyways I have the general concept of WW down just by researching on the internet. I know how many points I can have daily....and the equation needed to find point values of food. Unfortunately I would not be able to join WW until April due to my schedule. Any advice or successful stories/tips? I went shopping this morning and am starting pretty simple. I bought WW yogurt and cheese and smart ones meals. What can I for my first meeting once I do join? Is there a fee to join? Is it monthly? Or do you pay a fee every meeting? Thanks everyone!
michelle2369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I do WW at home and found out all the facts from a friend of mine and figured out the formula online. I also found out all the little rules and so I have been very successful doing that. I love WW. It is basically just calories in/calories out with several servings of fruit and vegis thrown in, and that's why I love it.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 6

All the meetings have the same agenda. You check in and then they weigh you. Don't worry about the weight in, it's totally private. Someone working at the weight watchers center does the weigh in... they don't say your weight out loud or say if you've gained or lost. They just print you a sticker with your current weight on it and your total lost. The stickers go in the book that they give you at your first meeting. After the weigh in, there will be a group discussion - it's a different topic every week and it's really interesting. People can share their ideas/ snack foods/ good finds if they want to. Then there were be a little celebration period where anyone who has either lost an additional 5 pounds, or 5% or 10% of their weight, or met their goal will get a sticker. At first I thought the stickers were no big deal, but it really does feel good to get a sticker! The meeting goes really fast and it's fun. At your first meeting you will stay after the regular meeting is over and they'll give you all of the info you need to get started. The meetings vary in price by how long you commit to.
I do the monthly membership and it's $40 per month (this is the cheapest option) and it also includes use of e-tools, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. It is super easy to track your points with e-tools. You just click on the foods you ate and it adds up your total for the day and tells you how many points you have left. It also tracks your extra weekly points and your activity points. E-tools also includes recipe ideas, a message board, and lots of other things. If you don't want to commit to a monthly membership you can do weekly and I think it's $12 per week, but you don't get to use e-tools.
I know it may not seem like you have time to do the meetings right now, but if there is ANY way you can fit it in, I'd do it. Meetings only last 30 mins. and I know that I probably wouldn't have stuck with it this long or been this successful without the meetings.
Good luck!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

It sounds like you're starting good. It is hard to get the points everyday at the beginning. I started WW about 3 weeks ago. I've been having a hard time, but I am getting better at staying within my point ranges each day. I do use my flex points. Last week was my TOM.. so that's always a stinky week and when I was still fumbling with staying within my points I totally wrecked. But, the day after my 2-day binge I got back on track.
This happens time to time. It's tricky to get used to. And making sure you're getting all the foods right everyday. I'm doing it the same way as you. I researched online. My MIL is also a lifetime member, so she's helpful. If you have an iPhone or some type of smart phone there may be apps that you can get. I have an iPhone and there are about 4 app's that I use everyday to help me out.
Some people need the meetings, some people don't. Everyone is different. Try both ways out to find out what you like the most and how your body reacts the best. It takes time to get going and being on every week. But once you get there, you'll feel great and look great! (I'm still getting there. LOL)
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/171/125

Height: 5'4''

Hi Michelle,

I agree with MandiK- if you can find any time at all to try out a meeting, I would recommend it! I've learned a lot and received a lot of support from the meetings. Plus, there's nothing like stepping on the scale in front of a stranger to keep you motivated! That being said, the weigh-ins are definitely very private, and the leaders are very supportive and don't make you feel bad if you've gained or stayed the same.

If you can't make it to meetings or find that they're not for you, you can definitely do it at home. My advice to you would be to prepare your own food as much as possible, because then you know exactly what you're eating and can stay within your points. If you like cooking, its a great opportunity to learn new recipes. I just bought a WW cookbook at Costco- the recipes are quick and easy to make, and don't require any uncommon ingredients. I've also made up low-point versions of my favourite dishes- it just takes some creativity!
The other food advice I would give you is to be careful with the SmartOnes and other frozen dinners/pre-packaged food, because they are often extremely high in sodium which can slow your weight loss significantly.

Good luck with WW, whichever method you decide to try- it's a great program, and if you stick to it, it'll work!
primaballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #6  
GmaTo8

Welcome, Michelle! We're glad you've joined us. The others have given you some good info. Just look around and make yourself at home. You'll get lots of inspiration here, as well as friendship and encouragement. If I can help you, just let me know.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/145/120

Height: 5'6

Default Thanks!

I appreciate the encouraging words, kindness, and suggestions! Day 1...so far so good. I've decided to keep track of everything in a little tablet that I can carry with me. I also would like to get back into a regular exercise routine (i get so lazy during the winter months). I will also try to go to meetings as soon as I can. I'm in school and working...and the closest meeting is only one night a week which I happen to work. I'm going to try to get my schedule changed as soon as I can. Again, thank you! I look forward to getting to know everyone!
michelle2369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #8  

Just a quick note...have done ww for many years and am a Lifetime Member.
Those who attend the meetings lose faster and seem to have better luck with maintenance. It's not that it can't be done other ways, its just that meeting attendance seems to provide much more. Best of luck.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Michelle,

I just want to second primaballerina's advice on preparing your own food. I don't think I ate out for the first two months, which is a huge feat on its own. But as far as people having more success in meetings rather than at home, I don't know how anyone can say that for sure. I have found much success doing it at home.

It was a little hard to be self motivated at first (I had a brand new baby, so time for a meeting was a little hard to find, and I didn't want to spend the money), but as soon as I started seeing progress, that was motivation enough.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #10  

There have been studies done by people other than WW that show that people who attend meetings of any program do better than those who go it alone or use the internet. One of the reasons is the accountability to others and positive reinforcement as well as learning what to eat, how to set and meet goals, how to maintain. I reached lifetime in 1976 and I still go to meetings. It works best for me. Others may not need what meetings provides.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote