Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11

Default I hate birthdays!

So today was my moms birthday and the whole family went and got breakfast at Cracker Barrel, where i gave in to the pancakes, PECAN pancakes that is. Im sure they are horrible for me and i felt totally awful about doing it but went for it anyways (I didnt eat all of them THANK GOD) and of course its a birthday and you know what that means.... CAKE! I only had a small piece but i feel AWFUL about the whole day which only makes me depressed and feel completely disgusted in myself. I know its a saturday and ive done good all week, and that i know im going to put in at least an hour and a half bike ride tomorrow but how do you keep yourself positive and not beat yourself up over it?
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

One way that helps me is to figure out the calories that were in whatever I ate. Actually I just make some vague overestimation in my head, but you could figure out a more exact amount if you wanted. Anyway, that helps me put it into perspective and move on. Like, say you ate 1500 calories more than you should have. That sucks, but it's a quantifiable amount, and it's a *very* small amount in the long term. It also reminds me that there is no logic in eating more just because I feel bad about what I already ate. Hope that helps!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #3  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Aww, when I saw the title of this thread, I was really concerned that it was going to be a post about today being your birthday, and that something had gone wrong... I am pleased to see that you are (mostly) okay. Kinda puts things in perspective, heh. But anyways--seriously, don't get too down about it!! If you've been good all week, one night of indulgence isn't going to totally derail you. Changing your eating habits and eating healthier doesn't mean eating 100% perfect all the time; you want this to be a lifestyle that you can actually keep up for the rest of your life, and that includes celebrating holidays/special holidays. It just isn't realistic to say "I will either never eat pecan pancakes or cake ever again, or my weight loss plan will be a failure," you know? IMO helping someone celebrate their birthday is all part of being a good friend/family member, and while of course it's not required to partake in the big meal and cake-eating, there's no reason why you shouldn't have a treat if you feel like it. In fact, just about a month ago I went to a friend's birthday dinner at Buca di Beppo, and god knows I went a little crazy with all those craaazy-rich Italian dishes (and a piece of cake, of course!!), and guess what? The world didn't end! I think I was up a pound of water weight the next day, and after eating normally that day I had an even bigger loss the day after that. I got right back on track, and so will you!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #4  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

In a way, I kind of plan for splurge days...

For instance, my grandfather was out of the province over Christmas, so long story short we're kind of having a Christmas dinner tomorrow. It's like Christmas the sequel but it only lasts one day. My mom is is not holding back anything! She's doing it up as if it were Christmas; mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey, peas, dinner rolls, yams, turnip and 2 kinds of desserts. I really want to enjoy this meal so I'm not going to count calories tomorrow. I'm having a light lunch and breakfast (mostly fruit and some protien) and then I'm going to have small portions of everything but not freak out about how much butter is on my potatoes or anything like that.

In the days leading up to Sunday I have been keeping my calories low and exercising more knowing full well that even having moderate amounts of dinner tomorrow its still going to be a high calorie day with dessert and everything when all is said and done.

So, in preperation for this day of moderately high calorie foods I have been extra diligent the days before so that I can really enjoy the meal and still stay on track.

So maybe in the future when you know a birthday like this is coming up you can kind of PLAN for a small splurge? or plan to have a light day calorie wise so you don't feel so bad having that piece of cake and enjoying it instead of feeling bad about it.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #5  
lisa34t

S/C/G: 231/ticker/160-175

Height: 5"3

I know what you mean ! DONT beat yourself up about it . You portioned yourself and thats what got most of us in the situation we are in OVEREATING...so you did great! Today was my cousins Sweet 16 and of course her mom went all out a double sheet cake half chocolate and half white , rotel and all the other party foods and i TOTALLY messed up.....BUT i dont feel bad beacuse i didnt pig out on it i had a small portion of food and small piece of cake. SO now i know that I MUST get on the treadmill and elliptical for atleast 25 mins each tomorrow.. So i know what i did and i know what to to keep those calories under control.

WE HAVE THIS UNDERCONTROL!

Last edited by lisa34t; 02-08-2009 at 12:05 AM.
lisa34t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #6  

Height: 5'11

Thanks ladies. Its hard NOT to beat myself up when i feel so bad about doing it, but the planning ahead is a good idea and never really thought about it. Its TOOO early in the morning so forgive my short/sloppy post, but im leaving to go bike off them pancakes! Wish me luck! 18 miles is nothing!
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #7  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

you're still doing great! you left your indulgence at that one meal and let it go. everybody's gotta eat what they love sometimes to stay sane. you'll be fine
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote