Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #1  

Default Is a 20K in May unreasonable?

I gained too much weight while pregnant, and I've struggled to take it off. I just started running again during the end of December. I'm only up to 3 miles 3-4 times a week (been doing this for about three weeks now). It's pretty easy for me. On days that I do not run, I've been doing elliptical or biking, and taking 1 day completely off. I'm also eating well.

I love a challenge. Do you think it would be dangerous for me to train for a 20K on May 30th? Is it unreasonable for someone my size to do this?

I'm currently 5'8" and weigh 208.

Thank you!!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

its about 13miles so you'll have to start upping your distances as of abot now try cutting down the amount of days you jog to 2 and double the distance and see how you get on
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I'm going to give EXACTLY the opposite advice of slimmingsi. Trimming days in favor of longer mileage is how one gets hurt. Regular short runs are the foundation that supports the long run.

You have 4 months. Yes, I think it is doable. You may need to incorporate a run/walk plan to do it.

Get consistant. 4 days a week. Consistancy is your biggest friend. So if you are 4 days of 3 miles right now that is a good start.

Pick one day to be your "long run" day and next time that rolls around go 4 miles EVEN if you have to walk some of it.

Map it out. You can increase your long run for a week or two and then hold it steady for a week before increasing again. By the time your long run gets to 6 miles you need to start increasing at least one of your support runs. General good rule is have at least one of your support runs be about half the distance of your longest run.

You should look to build to about 10 miles of long run at least 2 weeks before the race. It isnt necessary to do the full distance. If you have your support miles in, a small taper and adrenalin will get you the rest of the way.

If you are having a rough week somewhere along the way, the regular running is more important than the long run. Too many people get to the point where the long run is so challenging they end up skipping the short runs. If that becomes the case, back off the long run and keep the short run and strategize a run/walk plan.

Good luck!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Totally agree with ennay. The long run is the foundation of distance running training, but if you can't maintain shorter runs during the week as well, then you are not ready. A Rule of thumb is to increase your weekly distance by no more than 10% per week. Typically, a training program will have you maintain your shorter runs as they are and add one mile per week to your long run, up to 10 miles or so for your race distance.

There are a number of beginner half-marathon training schedules on runnersworld.com that may help you structure your running program. To run longer, you need to run slower or incorporate run/walk intervals. Personally, I'm a big advocate of run/walk intervals ... there's tons of people who run full marathons that way. Jeff Galloway is the guru of this approach, his web site is www.jeffgalloway.com. My advice is to work on distance first, speed comes later once you've built up your running base. For your first event, simply finishing should be your goal.

It's not an unreasonable goal IMO, if your goal is simply to do the training and complete the distance by May. I find that setting these kind of goals help me stay on track, it's no longer exercise, I'm "training". People of all sizes, shapes and ages complete these events successfully, and it is a tremendous feeling of accomplishment to do so.

It's very important to have properly-fitted shoes -- a specialty running store can help with that. And keep us posted on your progress!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #5  

Thank you for all your replies. I think I'm going to go for it. I know that I could do more than my three miles at a time now, but I've been running during my lunch breaks, so I run out of time more than I run out of stamina! I'm not at all worried about time, I just want to finish. You all gave me a little inspiration!
iowasteph2 is offline   Reply With Quote