Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/175/145

Height: 5'8

Default 9 pounds in 3 hours?

So today was my weigh in and I got on the scale this morning and it said I was 159, I was in shock! I couldn't believe it. So I got on it again 5 minutes later, and still it read the same.

So I went about my day I ate a sandwich, banana and drank some water.
Then I got to thinking, how did I lose that much weight? So I got back on the scale and it read 168, now thats more like it I thought.

But what happened? Is my scale a piece of crap or did eating that really fluctuate THAT much weight.

It is a digital scale so I'm pretty confused.
skirsten1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Water weighs a bunch. If you typically weigh in the morning, keep weighing in the morning. If you get inconsistent readings on your scale morning to morning, you need a new scale. Also, be sure to measure. I love measuring!@
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Well, 9 pounds seems like a lot, but it's really interesting to weigh yourself during the day and see just how much you fluctuate!

Did you ever get on a scale, and then hold a bottle of water -- the scale should go up by the weight of the water (and the bottle). Now drink the water and get back on the scale. You should weigh more because of the weight of the water you drank!

When we first eat food and it hasn't digested, we should weigh what we did right before eating, plus the weight of that food! It's only after it's digested and metabolized that we "gain weight".

All sorts of things can affect the scale -- our bodies are pretty complex and we might retain water for all sorts of reasons, which also affects the scale...

Last edited by Heather; 01-25-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #4  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I tihnk your scale might be on the fritz! I use my Wii fit to measure! it's as accurate as a doctors scale! because mine always matches what the scale at my doctors office weighs! I would invest in a really good scale they are expensive but a great investment My moms scale is also very accurate she bought a medical one from a medical supply store it was like $100 but she's had it for over 15 years and it is still accurate!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

test your scale! Thats why I don't trust the digital ones, I like the manual scales.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/264/120

Height: 5ft.3

Check the batteries of the scale. If they are dying out, that might be the reason for weird readings.
I have a worse story to tell; and the scales involved are NOT electronic, simple mechanical scales. So... On Dec. 30th I weighed 86 kgs, and then I travelled from the UK to Bulgaria, so 24 hours later I was 96! Talk about shock and using the scales there as a stepper. In the end I bought new scales, only to have them show me 95ish again. Cool eh? As a result I just went on with the regime, being every bot as strict so now I am 86-87 on the new scales. Just can't wait to get back to the UK and see how many pounds I shed in transit!
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/175/145

Height: 5'8

Thanks everyone!

I think I just might pitch that scale, it's frustrating/depressing me lol. There is a scale in the locker room at my gym and I might use that.

Otherwise I have a Wii Fit too, and I will use that one too.

Thanks!
skirsten1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

pick up the scales and give them a shake. put them down in 3 different places on the floor and try again. the water banana and sandwich will not equal 9lbs water weigth 1kg per litre. or around 1lb per pint (very approx) so either your drinking more than a bit of water or you having a lead sandwich.

scales are very inaccurate. digital ones if left in one place settle and give inaccurate readings manual ones become less accurate the heavier you are due to the springs being stretch to their limits.

think about things logicall and you can't go wrong. if you havn't eaten 9lbs worth of food you can't gain 9lbs
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #9  

Looks funny.
Well it seems improbable even. Don't get frustrated with the things that went along with you with the weighing machine.It might be a just a one off day when the scales get disturbed with ,may be , technical reasons.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote