100 lb. Club - Made Hummus before? easy/cheap/great

Redflame
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Have you ever made Hummus before? I have not been a Hummus fan, but I wanted something to take to large groups, and many of the people I hang with are vegetarians and eat alot of bean based foods. SO I thought I would try it.

Now I will say that my impression of store bought hummus was "Ok but reminded me of dirty socks".........

So last night my son whipped up a batch for me, under my direction.
1 can 15 ounces of chick peas
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 full head of roasted garlic (cut off very top, drizzle tiny bit of EVOO, wrap in tin foil and roast for 45 minutes, let cool, sqeeze out cloves)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic (I am a garlic junkie)

Whirl up in food processor till smooth, I made a double batch and it took awhile, so long that the hummus was actually warm from the motor in the processor! eeek!

You can add roasted red pepper, or chopped kalamata olives (dont add salt then) you can use yogurt instead of the olive oil, mix up your spices as you like, but it was great, and really low fat compared to the store bought that has Tahini in it (seaseme and oil) I did not miss the seaseme tastes, especially since I did not like traditional hummas in the first place.
Chopped celantro would be good with it too!

Give it a try, my huge batch, enough to share with three friends (double batch) only cost about $5 to make, The store bought that is $3-5 is in a tiny little container, I could easily fill 8 times!

ANewLife4Me
01-23-2009, 02:06 PM
I love hummus! This sounds wonderful!!! I'll also add a piece of unsolicited advice... stick to RedFlame's instructions and use the food processor. I tried to use my blender, and am now blender-less. It didn't like the chick peas. :(

Numina
01-23-2009, 02:15 PM
That looks really good, RedFlame! Thanks for being our test kitchen and inventive chef.

Sorry about the blender, ANewLifeForMe --- I just hate when stuff like that happens. That kind of annoyance is like being nibbled to death by ducks.....

Daimere
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
What does hummus taste like? I'm a recovering veggie phob and am too scared to try it. Also, is there any recipe without a food processor?

Beautiful Ace
01-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I love hummus! This sounds wonderful!!! I'll also add a piece of unsolicited advice... stick to RedFlame's instructions and use the food processor. I tried to use my blender, and am now blender-less. It didn't like the chick peas. :(

LOL I did that too one time... ahaha

Beautiful Ace
01-23-2009, 02:30 PM
What does hummus taste like? I'm a recovering veggie phob and am too scared to try it. Also, is there any recipe without a food processor?

It doesn't taste like anything else but Hummus in my oppinion. Definitely worth the try though, it doesn't taste anything like a vegetable!

Redflame
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
texture is kinda like a bean dip, but with the lemon it does not taste like bean dip, thats the best I can do LOL

Thighs Be Gone
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Yep, agreed. I have posted several times about the wonders of hummus. I will also make them into patties, pat with a wee bit of flour and fry them in nonfat cooking spray. I eat them with lettuce, tomato, pickle, whatever.

rodeogirl
01-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I would say the description of it being like a lemony bean dip is as close as you'll get. It's a pretty distinct taste.

With all new foods give yourself a few chances to try it. It's normal for our brains to be skeptical of any new food. The first time I've tried a number of things I thought I didn't like it, but then realized it was more I didn't know if I liked it or not and was reacting to it being different. Since then I've learned to eat a lot more foods. And it's taken about 10 years but as of two days ago I can finally drink tea (green tea) and enjoy it.

nelie
01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I absolutely love hummus, when I make it, I generally omit the olive oil and add tahini.

MugCanDoIt
01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
I dont like lemon in my food. Would it be worth making without lemon? Also, I have to eat low carb, so I cant diip chips or anything in the hummus. What else can you eat it with?

nelie
01-23-2009, 05:38 PM
I eat hummus with veggies. Red pepper strips, celery, baby carrots, broccoli, etc.

BarbPA
01-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm eating humus & baby carrots right now. Yum. :) I haven't tried making my own yet. I by the grocery store brand that is 45 cal for 2T.

My 3.5 year old son just walked up and stuck his finger in it...he didn't approve...apparently because it wasn't a corn dog or goldfish cracker...we are trying to expand his tastes. :p

Trazey34
01-23-2009, 07:50 PM

OK imagine something with BOTH the most vile texture AND taste and there you have it! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

hahah of course that's one girl's opinion, lots of folks love it -- but never be afraid to try something! it's one lousy bite, won't kill you :) and maybe you'll just love something you haven't been brave enough to try yet

jademarlene
01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Black bean hummus is great too. Oh now I want hummus!

JulieJ08
01-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I dont like lemon in my food. Would it be worth making without lemon? Also, I have to eat low carb, so I cant diip chips or anything in the hummus. What else can you eat it with?

I'm sure you could leave out the lemon. Really, all the ingredients in hummus are to taste. My favorite way to eat hummus is on crackers, but I do that very rarely. Usually I have it with raw veggies. Or on toast or on a sandwich, in place of butter or mayo.

Randi
01-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I like to make hummus and I also like cerain store bought brands (Tribe is really good IMHO). I also tend to go easy on the garlic when I make it - my girlfriend however feels that you can never have to much garlic... LOL

As far as the lemon goes - I cannot really taste it - it is kind of like the salt - it just accents the other flavors. You can eat hummus with virtually anything - any veggie, flat breads, bagel crisps. I like to put some grilled chicken or beef on a wrap and add some veggies....

thinpossible
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
This (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-Hummus/Detail.aspx)is a really good recipe for hummus using black beans. I like it better than chick peas. It's an interesting twist!

hautbois
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to make some tonight. I've been following the Sparkpeople diet planner and hummus is included in several of the snack and lunch menus. Making it myself will help save on the cost. The store-bought stuff is expensive.

Lyn2007
01-25-2009, 02:15 AM
I love hummus, home made or store bought, with carrots or pitas. My 3 year old will sit and eat an entire bowl of hummus with a spoon! But then again she had a mustard sandwich for breakfast.

Daimere
02-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I bought some hummus this weekend and love it! I got the roasted red pepper kind and I like the kick to it.

Nori71
02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Hummus junkie here also. But still searching for the perfect recipe for my liking. Unfortunately I got started on Meza brand hummus from costco and REALLY like the taste and everything after that has fallen short...
I absolutely love hummus, when I make it, I generally omit the olive oil and add tahini.
So what tahini do you use? I bought MaraNatha, organic, no-salt-added, creamy & raw variety and it was too "bitter" for my liking. Or I added way too much. How much to do you add - whatever amt of evoo is called for?

Lyn2007
02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I think all tahini is bitter. You have to just add less to the hummus if the bitterness is too much. I use very little tahini in mine.

nelie
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't find tahini to be bitter but I generally use regular tahini. I've bought a few different brands, never a real specific brand.

corazonas
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
mmmm that sounds really good!

**adding to grocery list**

thanks!!

cfmama
02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I use a brand of tahini that is from the ethnic food aisle. It's in a blue bottle... I can't remember the name.

My hummus recipe:

1 can chickpea's drained and rinsed
5 cloves garlic (love mine garlicky)
3 roasted red peppers
1/4 cup evoo
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
celtic sea salt
fresh ground black pepper
tsp cumin
tsp smokey paprika

blend and enjoy!!!

corazonas
02-08-2009, 11:24 PM
ok what's tahini? and as far as the roasted peppers go, do you make your own or buy jarred?

nelie
02-09-2009, 09:30 AM
tahini is a sesame seed butter. You can often find it in ethnic grocery stores but more and more I see it in the same place as peanut butter in most stores.

It is much cheaper to roast your own peppers.

corazonas
02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
thanks nelie!