Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Thinking about food all the freaking time...

I know someone already posted something about it, but the headline didn’t go with it, so I don’t think many people who has this issue were able to find it...
So in that thread we all posted about our obsession for food and how we think about it all day/every day. And someone said it is normal be obsessed for food.
Well here is my thought:
I think everything that is obsessive isn't normal.
We should not be obsessive with anything in life...
Especially food which is only a fuel to our bodies.
We have all kind of things going on in life, which we should be really spending time thinking about: career, family, friends, vacation, etc...
We shouldn't give too much time thinking about food.
We should eat to live and not live to eat.
That's why I know I have a problem. Because I see people who don't have this issue and they live their lives worry about really important things in life, instead of being worry about what they are going to have for dinner.
Do you also have this problem and what do you think about it and how do you deal with it
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm sorry, but I think what I'm going to have for dinner IS pretty important. And I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure, I'd love to not have to give it a second thought. But, ummm, that just doesn't work out too well for me.

I also don't see it as OBSESSION. I see it as DEDICATION, to a healthy lifestyle. It doesn't take away from the other aspects of my life, it in fact ENHANCES other aspects of my life.

I pretty much look at it as a hobby of mine. I ENJOY this lifestlye. I love cookbooks, cooking magazines, searching for new recipes, developing my own. I love entertaining and serving my family and friends my healthy foods. I even love shopping in kitchen type stores. I'm always looking for pretty new dishes, or linen napkins, tablecloths, a new gadget, containers.

Like I said on the other thread, I really don't see it as problematic. If you do, then that's where the problem lies and perhpas you may want to seek professional help.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-14-2009 at 09:06 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'm obsessed with food whether I'm thin or fat. In either case, food has always been a priority for me (even as a kid), so I guess it is my "normal".

When I'm fat, I'm thinking about the next binge even while consuming the huge one in front of me. When I'm thin, I'm planning the whole day's food and strategizing ways around problems that will arise. In either case, I do spend quite a bit of time thinking about food.

Now, if I could change it I would because I do know and envy people who have never been this food-centric, ever. However, I am learning to deal with this trait in the most constructive and healthy way I can, and if that is the best I can do I'm OK with that.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 01-14-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

I dont enjoy thinking about food all the time because it makes me crave everything... I know I have a problem. If you like thinking about food all the time, that is great for you... planning dinner is one thing, but salivating over what you are going to eat for dinner as soon as you finish lunch is an entirely different situation...
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #5  
sick and tired no more...

S/C/G: 171.5/see ticker/120

Height: 5ft 1in

Most people have some sort of addiction, whether it be drugs, alcohol, smoking, a hobby, adrenaline, love, whatever...

For some, their drug of choice is food (including me). Therefore, if you are trying to control your addiction, it is perfectly normal to think about it a LOT!! The reason some people don't give what they eat much thought is that food is not their particular addiction.

I control my addiction with exercise. It doesn't mean that I don't think about food, but it really does help me get through my cravings. And I allow myself one or two cheat meals a week (planned and NOT binges) to help me control my cravings. It has worked excellently in the past for me (see my profile for a pic of what I once looked like before baby #2) and I know that it will work for me again. I had been overweight (with an unhealthy addiction to food, emotional eater here) since my teens, until I was thirty when I was finally able to lose my excess weight, and kept it off for years (until a severe back injury, quickly followed by baby #2 kept me out of the gym - hence why I am here).

It can get easier as time goes by if you are making a complete lifestyle change, but addictions are never cured, they are managed. Unfortunately, I know that I will always have to manage my food addiction - it sucks, but it is just a part of life... I can promise you though, that it is completely worth all of the hard work; and it does get easier. (I can't wait to get back to that 'place' myself.)

Best of luck, and keep up all the hard work!!
psych_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I think about food a lot. And I'm half there with you, and half not.

I need to be "obsessed" with food in order to have it under control. Yes, I think about it often, but it's become so routine to think about it often, and I find that for me it's better to be thinking about it than to be shoving it in my face.

It's not normal. It's my normal. And, like an alcoholic, I'm always going to be a foodaholic. But I'd rather be that sober foodaholic that thinks about it, and plans my day around it, than to try my best never to think about it, and end up binging more often or overeating again.

And I don't feel wonderful about it when comparing myself to others who don't have to think about food as much as I do, but that's why I don't compare myself to others. Rather, I'm trying to concentrate on comparing myself now to my former self.

Obsession with food? More like now it's an obsession with keeping my food under control. Which to me is different.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/226/150

Height: 5'8"

I enjoy thinking about food.
I've discovered a certain satisfaction in planning out what I'm going to have for breakfast, lunch, snacks and supper from day to day. It was when I didn't really think about what I was going to eat that I ate everything I wanted and had problems.

When I think about things that aren't good for me, I try to come up with clever ways I can satisfy that craving, without taking in hundreds of calories. When I'm chocolate hungry, a Cadbury Thin usually does the trick. When I'm salt hungry, a cup of soup, or those tiny 100 cal packages of chips are generally enough to satisfy me. When it comes to cake and pie, well, that's a bit more difficult, but I do my best not to over indulge. If I don't think about what I'm eating, I'll eat anything. If I consider, I make better choices.

It's not necessarily an obsession to often think about food. It's how you can make food work for you. It does deserve attention.
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

My sister who is 4'11" and weighs 102 says things like, "I forgot to eat lunch today!" She needs a slap! I've forgotten many things, but never eating. I think there are plans that are easier NOT to obsess with. I've used the Weight Watchers plan before. It is a wonderful, healthy, long-term diet, but it doesn't work for me. I HATE measuring food and counting points. I ate my breakfast out of a measuring cup. How unromantic! That program fueled my obsession. "What can I eat? How much can I eat? If I eat it, will I have enough points to get through the day?" I'm now incorporating the South Beach Diet in my life. It's easier. There are foods I can't have -- white bread, rice, potatoes -- but what I can have, I can have all I want. No obsession for me. Although whatever you are doing is working for you as far as weight loss is concerned, maybe a change in plan would help with the obsession part of your eating? Just a thought.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:05 AM   #9  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

Hrrrm, I do obsess about food. I'd rather not. It's either the obsession/dedication of counting it, or the obsession/fascination of eating new and delicious food. I'd like to find that happy medium where I eat what I want and that's that, but I'm not damaging my body or putting on too much weight. Oh, to be 12 again!
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote