Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default How long should I go?

I have been counting calories since the 4th and working out since the 3rd. I've been doing great with calories and try to stick around 1350. I've been under 3 days since I've started and over (but right on after exercise) for 3 days and the rest I've been pretty much dead on (under but only by 5-20). I've exercised all but 1 day. And that day I was at the hospital all day and walked all over so I really did move more than a normal day at work.

I was down 3 pounds on Friday. Then on Sunday I went up to 180 and I've been holding strong right there at 180. I've also had at least 2 32 ounce bottles of water but it's usually closer to 4 bottles. What the heck?

Anyway, how long should I hold out with the plan on I'm before I try something different? A month? 2 weeks? No clue. And then should I up my calories or lower them?
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Okay, so you have been at this for 8-9 days, since today doesn't really count yet.

You just started exercise so you might be carrying some water weight around. When I change my exercise pattern it usually takes 1-2 weeks for the water to settle down. Someone told me once that if your muscles are sore you are retaining water. Don't know if that is true, but it has always seemed true in my experience. (Case in point, I ran a mile extra yesterday, am up two pounds this morning, my legs and shoulders ache...)

Do I remember you saying that you have a HRM that gives you calories burned? How many cals are you burning each day from exercise? I think you said you netted around 850 every day after exercise calories? My first instinct would be that your calories are too low. But, I would give it two weeks on plan to see.

You mention some days under, some days over, some days on plan. Did you average 1350 for the whole time or did the over plan days move you up some? People will tell you to be careful and not go below 1200, also - I noticed when I got below 1200 consumed on any day in the week I didn't lose any, even if my average for the week was higher.

So, long answer, short summary. If it were me I would give it until 1/16 -that would be two weeks. If you haven't lost by then I would actually try increasing the total calories consumed a little - 50-100 per day maybe? Also, a rest day is important - your muscles need time to recover. I had to make sure to take one day off per week, sometime two if I was really sore, of my loss stalled also.

ETA: oops, didn't notice the forum, just the title... I'm not actually a 20-something, I'm 36...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 01-13-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: oops
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

I don't care how old you are! Any help counts. Yes, I wear my moniter. I eat around 1350 and burn anywhere from 300-500 each day. I took 1 day off but if I take more than that I won't get back at it. I have to do it everyday or it'll be bad. LOL!

And I've been sore since Sunday. Jillian's 30 DS has me suoper sore. Especially my upper legs like an inch or so above my knees. So, I am more than likely retaining water all the time then huh? That bites.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #4  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

I would stick to your plan for a month before deciding what needs to be changed, if anything. Sometimes when you start a new plan your body needs time to adjust. You could probably eat more calories and still lose weight.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

I agree with everyone here - it hasn't been long enough to need to change plans. You are doing fine. And you will be sore for a while with the 30DS...I was sore for about 10 days before I started feeling any kind of relief. And even still I get sore when I do some stuff. It's good for you though - just gotta push through the pain. It could possibly be that you aren't eating enough calories - on freedieting.com they have a fluctuating calorie schedule that you could use that helps your body not get used to just a certain number of calories per day. You might try that.
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/188.6/140

I would definitely give it 4-6 weeks, then stop & reassess what's going on. Maybe your monthly cycle could have something to do with it too? I know mine always does. Good luck, I look forward to hearing you have a huge loss soon!!!
erynn1010 is offline   Reply With Quote