South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default Can't get over the WW pasta....

I would love to try the SB diet. I have been lurking around on the board and everyone's food looks amazing! The problem is I cannot "get over" the texture of WW pasta! I don't have one of the newer copies of the book, only the very first edition that was ever done, so does the newer book allow for pasta's like Barilla plus that does not have the whole wheat texture?

(btw...I can and do eat it in bread, no problem!! strange I know....)
Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

The only whole wheat pasta I can tolerate is fresh pasta and I can't get it around here. I just don't eat pasta anymore. I make my homemade sauce with extra veggies in it so it's very thick and just eat it like stew. that way I get the flavor but no pasta necessary.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

We have Giant grocery here...and it's funny. The nastiest looking WW pasta is their brand, Nature's Promise....it's the darkest pasta with the most "flecks" you can see.

Reluctantly, I bought it. I actually think it tastest the best! I cook mine longer, I think 'al dente' is not as good.

Hope you'll adapt! I eat pasta all the time again!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #4  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Have you tried the brand ronzoni? That is my fav brand and really the only kind of ww pasta that i like. You can cook it longet to get the softer kind of texture as reagular pasta. The little spiral noodles seem to be the closest in texture and taste to regular pasta. It comes in a brown box. Might be worth a try to try a few differnt kinds and see if you like any of them.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I'm with you -- not eating WW pasta. Yuck! I'll add carbs back in other ways. Brown Rice is pretty good.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I adore whole wheat pasta of any kind so I'm not any help.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I don't eat ww pasta very often, but the Garofalo brand is the best one I've tried. Most of the other brands I've tried taste like cardboard, but this brand tastes pretty good.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #8  
eat less, move more!

Height: 5' 2"

I love whole wheat pasta too. I got used to it by making my pasta half n half for a while.
Like, at first i used the barilla plus, then i made it half barilla plus, half whole wheat.
Now my whole family likes the whole wheat. I don't think they even noticed when i began changing it.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #9  

I love WW pasta too. It's funny because I can't do WW bread.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #10  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge pasta fan in the first place, but I really don't notice the difference between white pasta and WW pasta. I don't like either al dente and always cook pasta for the maximum time on the box. My DD really doesn't like the WW pasta and she could eat white pasta several times a week if it were an option.

I also like WW bread.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #11  

I don't even like regular pasta any more. We've used whole wheat so long that it tastes better to us. I like DaVinci or the Tom Thumb organic storebrand but I've used other brands and like them too. Any that is 100% whole wheat is allowed on South Beach.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #12  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I tried the Ronzoni and it is pretty darn good....I did cook it for longer and used the spirals and I really could not taste the difference.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwynnB View Post
I cook mine longer, I think 'al dente' is not as good.
Twynn, your post was really helpful! However, everyone should note that the longer you cook pasta, the more starch (for our purposes, that means "sugar") it has. I'll leave Alton Brown to explain why, but it's true. So you want to cook it as little as you can while still being able to eat it.

I'm sorry you don't like WW pasta, ckatgo! I love it, but there are lots of things I don't like that others love (like shrimp), so I understand how you must feel. Here are some ideas:
  • Try looking for a pasta made with "Durum Semolina." This is okay at all times on P2. It's basically a whole grain of the type usually used to make pasta--if you look at a box of "regular" pasta, you'll see that it's enriched semolina. You might like this version (durum, which means "hard") better than whole wheat
  • Try pasta made from other whole grains. You can experiment with spelt, kamut, and even quinoa. I find these in natural health stores and in the "Nature's Market" section of my local grocery store, Wegman's. If your grocery store has a "health food" or organic section, you might find them there. Just make sure they're whole grain.
  • Check out the "gluten-free" section at your grocery store. They might have pasta made from brown rice that would work. Avoid anything made with enriched or white rice or other partial (not whole) grains, though.
  • Look at the ingredients on the boxes of things like Barilla to see if the first ingredient is "enriched" flour. If so, it's a no-go for SBD. However, if the first ingredient is whole wheat, you can try it and see how you react.
  • Try buckwheat (whole) noodles. These are often called "soba" noodles and are sometimes found in the Asian sections. They are especially delicious in peanut noodle recipes.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Laurie, Great information! I'm going to look for other options. I actually like soba noodles.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Also, I've found that multigrain pastas are sometimes much tastier than whole wheat.
Closed Thread