Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

Default wt loss after surgery- Is it real?

I'm scared to be excited, but I just lost 6 lbs. When I weighed last Friday before gallbladder surgery I was 138. My weight has steadily dropped this week (Monday 135, Tuesday 133, Today 132). So did I really lose this weight? To answer your possible questions-

1. I didn't eat Friday and ate very lightly Saturday, but I've been eating normally since then.
2. I know I'm well hydrated.
3. I've been hanging out in the high 130's since mid November.
4. Because of the surgery and its side effects I am VERY well cleaned out, but I can't imagine that I had 6 lbs of poo.

I would love to claim this weight loss, but it just seems so sudden. I keep waiting to wake up and have gained 5lbs overnight. What do you think?
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

With my own experience after surgery, the weight loss was temporary and quickly came back.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

I know stress can also make us hold onto weight. Maybe after surgery you are less stressful and your body is adjusting. Someone else might have better insight... Im glad your surgery was successful and you are on the mend!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #4  

I have 8 surgeries, lost weight after them for a short time and them my body adjusted and I was back to the weight I was before surgery, despite my best efforts to keep it off.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

i lost 5 kg / 11 lbs in one week after getting my wisdom teeth out... because all i ate was about 2 bowls of mushed vegies a day...it was horrible.

I kept it off for a while- but i found it was the easiest weight to put back ON.
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydoodle2 View Post
4. Because of the surgery and its side effects I am VERY well cleaned out, but I can't imagine that I had 6 lbs of poo.

omg I burst out laughing when I read this!!!

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all of you replies! The loss is still there today, but I'm viewing it as a temporary preview rather than permanent. I'm enjoying this loss while I've got it though.
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Another possibility is, when in surgery, don't they hook you up to electrolytes or saline solution? That could cause you to retain water, then when you get back home, and start drinking water and eating a regular diet, your body releases the extra water weight...? I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV). However, when I had a fatty tumor removed (it was a good pound and a half), I retained water and had gained weight at the following week's WW weigh-in, but lost it after a brief time.
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/167/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydoodle2 View Post
but I can't imagine that I had 6 lbs of poo.
sorry had to laugh at that one too.

I'm gonna be having galbladder surgery January 29 2009 and I dont want to gain weight neither. After reading quite a few posts on weight gain after surgeries, I'm going to drink lots of water and eat FF yogurts, salads, lean meats,veggies and fruits.Then I think 2 weeks after the surgery I can go back on my Herbal Magic.I can't wait!!

Hope you keep that weight off that you lost after your surgery.

Isabel
sexynesscoming is offline   Reply With Quote