Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'5

Default College Ideas anyone?

So I just joined today, I am a college Junior and 20. I want to lose a significant amount of weight and I am really excited to have found this website... Looks like a great place for me to hang. I am planning on hitting the gym at school, and eating better when I return to school on Sunday. I decided today to stop drinking soda. I was just curious if anyone had any ideas about healthy foods to eat at school, I do have an apartment on campus, but I go to the dinning hall at least 6 times a week. I also wondered if anyone had any ideas about not drinking pop, Like things to replace it with, I know water is a big one, but I want a little flavor too...
Thanks
eme20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #2  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

I know this probably isn't a great response

I never found anything healthy to eat at my university, at either of them. I hope you do though, good luck.

If the food isn't the best of choices, focus on going to the gym. I would pack granola bars or fruit with you when you do go on campus, that way when you have to eat you can maybe substitute some of crazy bad food for something healthier. Please btw do not get hooked on ramen noodles, yes they are cheap but they are insanely bad for you. I had no idea was i was eating until I looked at the back of the package
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/153/145

Height: 5'9"

There's a book called "Dorm Room Diet" I find pretty helpful. I'm a junior in college too so I feel your pain. The dining hall is **** on healthy eating. The healthy food is tasteless and why choose that when you can just get a big fat sandwich? As far as drinks go, I usually put lemon or lime in my water, drink tea, iced tea, and crystal light lemonade. I've found a ton of these drinks in zero-calorie form in my school's convenience mart. If you have any more questions feel free to message me! Keep us updated!
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #4  
I hate chub-rub!

Height: 5'6"

I'm a senior and just discovered the d-hall (I live off campus). Ours always has a salad bar, fresh fruit, granola, wraps and soups that are good. Also I noticed their hot menu always has a vegetable medley and something like couscous. It's hard to avoid all the pizza and burgers, but there are a lot of good options there during mealtimes, too.
kellibee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

For the healthy college eating, I am not so sure.

I did hear something that put me off drinking pop. I have no idea if this is accurate or anything but I heard that one pop a day equals a 30 pound weight gain over one year. Yikes! I love the crystal light individual pack thingys that you can put into a water bottle, they are something like 5 calories and a least give you some flavour instead of drinking plain water.
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #6  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Have you tried Crystal Lite? I drank it a lot one of the times I gave up pop.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #7  
Magic Girdle Not Included

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127

Height: 5'5"

Hi eme! I'm also a junior in college.

Every college menu is different but I think most are workable to a healthy diet. First off--if you have an apartment with a kitchen, USE IT! You can use your stove and fridge for a whole variety of different kinds of healthy meals. You can also cook healthy lunches and bring them places with you.

Also, I don't know what kind of menu your dining hall has, but mine has a decent salad bar, a fried foods area, and usually some pasta and meat entrees. If I want to have a healthy meal at the dining hall I skip the premade entrees and fried foods entirely (no telling what's in them). I make a big salad with a little olive oil and vinegar, have some cold-cut turkey and maybe some yoghurt or cottage cheese with an apple and peanut butter for dessert. I generally find that the dining hall is good for healthy eats if you think elastically.

Also, if your dining hall doesn't have any healthy foods--don't go there! Or, go there only rarely, and instead stick to making healthy meals in your kitchen. It's a pain in the ***, but when you control everything that goes onto your plate getting results is easier.

As for drinks--I LOVE strong unsweetened iced tea. I just make it myself in the fridge.
Hippolyta is offline   Reply With Quote