South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147.5/142.5/122.5

Height: 5'2"

Default Please help me break my Plateau

If you all don’t mind, I need some help. If this post belongs somewhere else, please let me know so I can move it. :-) I see so many successful people on this site, that I know I can trust your feedback.

I’ve been trying to break the 140 mark since August of 2007 and cannot do it. I don’t know why. Since then, I’ve weighed between 140-148, hovering around the 142-144 mark most of the time.

On Dec 29th (Day 1 on SBD), I weighed in at 147.5. This is due to me being at my mom’s for 10 days and eating all that good Mexican food she makes. I did go to the gym about an hour a day, mostly cardio and a little bit of weights. On January 1st, I weighed in at 141.5. This morning my weekly weigh in was 144.5 (I ate salty yesterday and drank over 100 ounces of water and didn’t pee a lot (sorry for TMI) so this may be why).

Today begins week 2 on SBD. I’d like to post/blog my daily intake and activity for a few weeks and get some honest feedback. I would like to break this plateau I’ve been on for awhile. I’m trying to follow the SBD principles, but am also a calorie counter by heart, so I will post those as well.

Thank you all so much and I hope you all have a great year!

Marissa

1/5/09

B coffee 0
4 equal 0
3 tbsp FF half/half 60 (is this allowed ?)
3 ounces roast beef 168
string cheese 70

S hot tea 0
12 olives 75
deli ham 60
2 wedges light laughing cow cheese 70 (is this allowed ? Should it be regular instead?)

L 4 ounces roast beef 224
2 cups spinach leaves 10
2 tbsp dressing 70

S 3 small stalks celery 8
2 tbsp natural peanut butter 210
hot tea 0

D 4 ounces lean ground beef drained 246
1 cup green beans 60
1 cup broccoli 84
1/4 c up shredded cheese 80
buttery spray 0

Other gum 4 pieces 10

dessert 95

1600 calories total
bluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Do you usually eat the foods you have listed on your meal plans? Have you always done the same exercise?

Sometimes changing the foods you eat and/or changing your exercise (especially starting HIIT) will help break a plateau...
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

Well, to begin with, you may be eating too much cheese. I try to stick with 1 serving (1oz) per day. even if it is low-fat. also, you are missing your dairy servings (besides the ff half and half, of which the serving is 2TBL). cheese counts as a protein, not dairy. dairy is mostly skim milk, light plain soy milk, or lowfat/nofat yogurt. the other thing you are missing is beans. try to have at least 1/2 - 1/3 cup daily, or 2 TBL hummus. I swear by the beans being the secret! otherwise, your protein and veggies look great. Are you in phase 1? you should only do Phase 1 for a maximum of 2 weeks. after that, you should begin eating at least 1 serving of fruit/starch daily, and work up to more, slowly. If you stay in phase1 too long, your metabolism slows down, and you will stop losing. you need the healthy carbs, and the beans will help with that as well.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #4  

Food types - I usually do calorie counting. Anywhere from 1200-1800 a day, depending on my workout schedule. No restrictions on any food, just moderation. I was trying to mix it up....maybe I was eating too little, too much, etc. I would do fine during the week, but weekends were not that good but definately not within the calorie range above. Not that I would binge, but I would socialize without watching the calorie content. I decided to try SBD. It's food I would normally try to eat anyway, but hopefully minimize cravings and subside hunger.

Exercise - 7-14 hours a week, depending on my free time. Usually around 10.
I do the classes below. The concept for the class is the same each time, but the routines change almost every week, except when we launch and we do 4 weeks of the same routine.

BODYATTACK® is a simple, high-intensity group exercise-to-music class that’s fully optioned to cater for all fitness levels. You’ll experience high-energy sports training moves for cardiovascular fitness, along with upper and lower body conditioning exercises. (1-2 times a week)

BODYBALANCE™ is the Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates workout that builds flexibility and strength and leaves you feeling centered and calm. Controlled breathing, concentration and a carefully structured series of stretches, moves and poses to music create a holistic workout that brings the body into a state of harmony and balance. (2-4 times a week)

BODYCOMBAT® is the empowering cardio workout where you are totally unleashed. This fiercely energetic program is inspired by martial arts and draws from a wide array of disciplines such as Karate, boxing, Taekwondo, Tai Chi and Muay Thai. Supported by driving music and powerful role model instructors strike, punch, kick and kata your way through calories to superior cardio fitness. (2-4 times a week)

BODYPUMP™ is the fastest way to shape up and lose body fat. It’s a toning and conditioning class with weights and is for just about everybody who wants to add strength training into their aerobic workout. The simplicity of the class makes BODYPUMP™ a great starting point to develop strength and confidence. Hot sounds and compelling choreography keep you going through each 45-minute or one-hour workout. (3 times a week, slowly increasing weight)

RPM® is the indoor cycling workout where you ride to the rhythm of powerful music. Take on the terrain with your inspiring team coach who leads the pack through hills, flats, mountain peaks, time trials, and interval training. Discover your athlete within – sweat and burn to reach your endorphin high. (0-1 times a week)
Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #5  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

what kind of dressing? - What did you have for dessert?

I agree about switching things up.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by baristamon View Post
Well, to begin with, you may be eating too much cheese. I try to stick with 1 serving (1oz) per day. even if it is low-fat. also, you are missing your dairy servings (besides the ff half and half, of which the serving is 2TBL). cheese counts as a protein, not dairy. dairy is mostly skim milk, light plain soy milk, or lowfat/nofat yogurt. the other thing you are missing is beans. try to have at least 1/2 - 1/3 cup daily, or 2 TBL hummus. I swear by the beans being the secret! otherwise, your protein and veggies look great. Are you in phase 1? you should only do Phase 1 for a maximum of 2 weeks. after that, you should begin eating at least 1 serving of fruit/starch daily, and work up to more, slowly. If you stay in phase1 too long, your metabolism slows down, and you will stop losing. you need the healthy carbs, and the beans will help with that as well.
Thank you.

I've been in Phase 1 1 week. I plan on moving to phase 2 next Monday by adding 1 fruit and work each week from there. Just need some guidance right now. I have a feeling my plateau is due to my food intake and not my exercising. I've been using cheese as dairy, so I'll do less of that and try other dairys. I haven't eaten much beans this past week, but bought some last night (pinto and garbanzo) to cook today and have for the rest of the week.

thanks!
Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin4Good View Post
what kind of dressing? - What did you have for dessert?

I agree about switching things up.
I used a kraft ceaser vinagerette that has less than 1 g of sugar. I used it for the second time in the past 8 days today.

I haven't had a dessert yet today. Last week I had 1-2 of the no sugar added fudgsicles. I also have ingredients for the ricotta desserts and sugar free jello. I don't always crave something sweet, so dessert is still up in the air for today.

I've only been on SBD for 7.5 days now, so my plateau (1.5 years) is from my habits before. I'm trying to change things by trying SBD. I've read the book, but I may have missed or misread something...... :-)

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I'm not an expert (they'll chime in!), but I would think more veggies, and more of a variety of veggies will help out to. I cut up red pepper, cucumbers and celery to go with my dressing for a snack today. YUM!

The bean thing is awesome too!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #9  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Just a couple other comments.

You can try adding veggies to breakfast. The guidelines here call for 1/2 cup veggies at breakfast.

If the roast beef is commercial deli meat, it's probably high in sodium. (The cheese is also high in sodium.) If it's roast beef you made yourself, make sure it's a lean cut.

Also, I noticed you have beef at all three meals. This may be just because this is one sample day. In the meal plans in the book, the dinner menus rotate over three days beef, chicken, seafood, then repeat. So if you're not already, you'll want to incorporate chicken and seafood.

Was the shredded cheese low fat? You had asked if the light Laughing Cow cheese was the right choice, and it is.

Keep posting your menus and I'm sure you'll continue to get feedback.
Best wishes.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

This might sound silly, but I don't think you're getting enough calories for the intense workouts that you do.

I put your stats into a calorie need calculator and came up with this:
You need 1350 calories per day just for basic body maintenance...basically what your body would use if you did nothing but sit all day.

You need about 2020 calories to lose about a pound per week and 2520 calories to maintain your current weight.

I would try upping your calories a bit and seeing what happens.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good suggestions. Mine would be to eat as clean as possible and cut back on the beef. You don't have much to lose so loss will be very slow.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I too would suggest more veggies and different lean meats -- not a fan of chicken or fish?
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #13  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion View Post
Food types - I usually do calorie counting. Anywhere from 1200-1800 a day, depending on my workout schedule. No restrictions on any food, just moderation. I was trying to mix it up....maybe I was eating too little, too much, etc. I would do fine during the week, but weekends were not that good but definately not within the calorie range above. Not that I would binge, but I would socialize without watching the calorie content. I decided to try SBD. It's food I would normally try to eat anyway, but hopefully minimize cravings and subside hunger.

Exercise - 7-14 hours a week, depending on my free time. Usually around 10.
I do the classes below. The concept for the class is the same each time, but the routines change almost every week, except when we launch and we do 4 weeks of the same routine.

BODYATTACK® is a simple, high-intensity group exercise-to-music class that’s fully optioned to cater for all fitness levels. You’ll experience high-energy sports training moves for cardiovascular fitness, along with upper and lower body conditioning exercises. (1-2 times a week)

BODYBALANCE™ is the Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates workout that builds flexibility and strength and leaves you feeling centered and calm. Controlled breathing, concentration and a carefully structured series of stretches, moves and poses to music create a holistic workout that brings the body into a state of harmony and balance. (2-4 times a week)

BODYCOMBAT® is the empowering cardio workout where you are totally unleashed. This fiercely energetic program is inspired by martial arts and draws from a wide array of disciplines such as Karate, boxing, Taekwondo, Tai Chi and Muay Thai. Supported by driving music and powerful role model instructors strike, punch, kick and kata your way through calories to superior cardio fitness. (2-4 times a week)

BODYPUMP™ is the fastest way to shape up and lose body fat. It’s a toning and conditioning class with weights and is for just about everybody who wants to add strength training into their aerobic workout. The simplicity of the class makes BODYPUMP™ a great starting point to develop strength and confidence. Hot sounds and compelling choreography keep you going through each 45-minute or one-hour workout. (3 times a week, slowly increasing weight)

RPM® is the indoor cycling workout where you ride to the rhythm of powerful music. Take on the terrain with your inspiring team coach who leads the pack through hills, flats, mountain peaks, time trials, and interval training. Discover your athlete within – sweat and burn to reach your endorphin high. (0-1 times a week)

You go girl! Not to change the subject, but I'm trying to build up the patience for Yoga and Tai Chi...how does that help you in your weight loss or is it strictly for your strength???
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #14  

Hi everyone thanks for all the responses. I've had minimal internet access since I began work again. I'm still going strong, just need to keep tweaking. Thanks everyone for their input....

Summary More calories, veggies, beans, variety. Less cheese.

I do like a variety of food, but it's only me so if I go grocery shopping today, I 'll eat the same thing for a few days in a row, then I go back to the store. I would hate to throw away food cause I could'nt eat it fast enough.

I'll start update my fitday tomorrow and post a link and updates every so often.

Marissa
Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD Sass View Post
You go girl! Not to change the subject, but I'm trying to build up the patience for Yoga and Tai Chi...how does that help you in your weight loss or is it strictly for your strength???
Personally I don't think it helps my weight loss, but it has done amazing things for strength, flexibility, and toning. My shoulders are amazing tone wise (except for that layer of fat covering it...lol). I feel taller and looser. Another bonus is that it works all those little muscles you didn't know you had. I would give it a try about 3-4 times before giving up. If you're not feeling anything go deeper into your stretches.

Marissa