General chatter - Whatcha Reading Jan 2009?

View Full Version : Whatcha Reading Jan 2009?

Smiling_Sara
01-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Happy New Year Everyone!! It's that time again. Tell us all what you are reading.

I am reading The Secret Life of Bees.

Glory87
01-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Hey, yay for the new thread for this year!

I did a lot of travel and got a lot of reading done. Recently, I have read:

Bodies Left Behind (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=10636989&postcount=1) by Jeffrey Deaver - a thriller I borrowed from my mom. Not my usual fare, but it was okay. I really liked the twisty ending.

The Day I Ate Whatever I wanted (http://www.amazon.com/Day-Ate-Whatever-Wanted-Liberation/dp/1400065097/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230832137&sr=1-1) by Elizabeth Berg. I'm a big Elizabeth Berg fan and really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Appropriate for this board, there were several stories about weight/weight loss. There were also good stories about love, aging, relationships. I really liked it!

Hour I First Believed (http://www.amazon.com/Hour-I-First-Believed-Novel/dp/0060393491/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230832237&sr=1-1) by Wally Lamb. Wow, this was a thick, meaty TOME of a book. It is kind of hard to describe, the author talked about Columbine, trauma recovery, prisons, slavery, addiction - it ended up spanning several hundred years (due to some recovered letters). I found it very very readable, could hardly put it down.

Book of Dahlia (http://www.amazon.com/Book-Dahlia-Novel-Elisa-Albert/dp/0743291301/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230832371&sr=1-1). An extremely unlikeable character gets cancer and the author peels back layer after layer until I felt sympathy and like I really knew her. Also, the author could really be hilarious.

Black Flies (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Flies-Novel-Shannon-Burke/dp/1593761910/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230832455&sr=1-1) - medics in Harlem. Very gritty - like The Wire for medics.

I am currently reading Toss of a Lemon (http://www.amazon.com/Toss-Lemon-Padma-Viswanathan/dp/0307356337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230832505&sr=1-1). I liked the first half, but it's dragging a bit. Not sure how long I'm going to keep fighting through it - plenty of other stuff waiting on the shelf!

Darby1
01-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Right now I'm just finishing up "Such a Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster. Funny stuff!

lizziep
01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I just finished The Heir to Sevenwaters by Juliette Marrilier this morning. Good stuff. I'm on to Orson Scott Card's newest in the Ender series.

Ufi
01-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I just got "Tis" to listen to while I'm walking. It's read by the author, and I enjoyed his reading of "Angel's Ashes."

I'm also reading "Toxic Parents" and "The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom."

second chance
01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Im reading the second twilight book: New moon :)

painted lady
01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
i'm reading the new Stephen King collection, "Just After Sunset."

if you go here (http://iam.bmezine.com/iams.exe?cmd=find&username=painted+lady&datematch=200901010001), you can see all the books i read in 2008!

techwife
01-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm not reading at the moment...I'm writing. I started a novel a few years back and decided to put it on the shelf for a while until my son went to kindergarden. So, now that he's in second grade, I decided to restart it. So far, I like it. I love writing.

techwife
01-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Im reading the second twilight book: New moon :)

I think New Moon was my favorite of the series. I like a book with conflict. It keeps the pages turning. I have to say, though, that the triangle she started with Edward, Jacob and Bella left me feeling weird. You'll see what I mean when you get to books 3 and especially 4...very weird. But worth the read.

Glory87
01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
i'm reading the new Stephen King collection, "Just After Sunset."

if you go here (http://iam.bmezine.com/iams.exe?cmd=find&username=painted+lady&datematch=200901010001), you can see all the books i read in 2008!

Can't open that link, prompts for a login name :(

Here is my book list (I started adding books read by date last spring):

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035707?shelf=read

Quiet Ballerina
01-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm reading "Pledged" by Alexandra Robbins. Not too far into it yet, but I'm enjoying it.

blackbutterfly
01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
re reading Poppy Z. Brite's books 11 years later after I got done with the Twilight Books these Grown Up vamp stories are giving me nightmares lol

rileyozzy
01-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I am reading Life of Pi right now. So far, I like it. So many people have told me that it is a must read.

jtammy
01-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I just recently finished my first Jen Lancaster book - Bitter is the new Black. I really dislike the author (or at least her tone) but I couldn't quit reading it and want to read the next one. Also read a Christmas novel called O Little Town last week. It was sweet and simple. Currently reading a couple of nonfictions Five Conversations you must have with your Daughter, and Barack Obama's Dreams from my Father.

wickky
01-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Where did all the fat go? By Dr. Rob Huizenga aka physician to The BiIggest Loser Cast.

WebRover
01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm on to Orson Scott Card's newest in the Ender series.

It's on my library hold list. Can't wait for it to show up.

Reading - The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.

TheMrs
01-02-2009, 02:42 AM
I just finished reading, "Marley and Me" - true, it's not a really deep read or anything, but I loved the book - I recommend it to any animal lovers out there. :)

A friend of mine and I were talking about starting a book club - so many good books, so little time.

painted lady
01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
poo, i thought that link would work. well, here's my list, then! EDIT: That Dorothy Allison book is called "B-a-s-t-a-r-d Out of Carolina." silly censorship.

"Through the Looking-glass, and What Alice Found There" Lewis Carroll
"Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How it Transformed Our World" Mark Pendergrast
"******* Out of Carolina" Dorothy Allison
"Gil's All Fright Diner" A Lee Martinez
"A Long Way Down" Nick Hornby
"Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town" Cory Doctorow
"The Pillars of the Earth" Ken Follett
"St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves" Karen Russell
"A Spot of Bother" Mark Haddon
"Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician" Daniel Wallace
"Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto" Chuck Klosterman
"The Complete Stories of Truman Capote" Truman Capote
"Starbucked: A Double Tall Tale of Caffeine, Commerce, and Culture" Taylor Clark
"Strangers on a Train" Patricia Highsmith
"The Learners" Chip Kidd
"Monster Island: A Zombie Novel" David Wellington
"The Long Walk" Richard Bachman
"The Ghost in the Third Row" Bruce Coville
"Of Love and Shadows" Isabel Allende
"Lost in a Good Book" Jasper Fforde
"The Well of Lost Plots" Jasper Fforde
"Something Rotten" Jasper Fforde
"In the Company of Ogres" A. Lee Martinez
"A Simple Plan" Scott Smith
"The Dead Fathers Club" Matt Haig
"Stranger: Dark Tales of Eerie Encounters" ed. Michelle Slung
"Psycho" Robert Bloch
"Thursday Next: First Among Sequels" Jasper Fforde
"Deep Water" Patricia Highsmith
"The Lottery and Other Stories" Shirley Jackson
"An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England" Brock Clarke
"Wild Nights!: Stories of the Last Days of Poe, Dickinson, Twain, James, and Hemingway" Joyce Carol Oates
"Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead" Paul Bibeau
"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories by Richard Matheson" Richard Matheson
"Duma Key" Stephen King
"American Pulp" ed. Edward Gorman, Bill Pronzini, and Martin Harry Greenberg
"Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith" Jon Krakauer
"The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" Junot Diaz
"Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" Patrick Suskind
"Speaking with the Angel" ed. Nick Hornby
"Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex" Mary Roach
"The Shroud of the Thwacker" Chris Elliott
"The Handmaid's Tale" Margaret Atwood
"A Dirty Job" Christopher Buckley
"The Witches of Eastwick" John Updike
"The Lost Continent" Bill Bryson
"Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe" Bill Bryson
"Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural" ed. Ellen Datlow
"The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible" A.J. Jacobs
"Monkeewrench" P.J. Tracy
"Live Bait" P.J. Tracy
"One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd" Jim Fergus
"Dead Run" P.J. Tracy
"Mirror Mirror" Gregory Maguire
"Snow Blind" P.J. Tracy
"Postville: A Clash of Cultures in Heartland America" Stephen G. Bloom
"Little Green Men" Christopher Buckley
"Dearly Devoted Dexter" Jeff Lindsay
"Ella Minnow Pea: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable" Mark Dunn
"Coraline" Neil Gaiman
"The Automatic Detective" A. Lee Martinez
"Dolores Claiborne" Stephen King
"Library: An Unquiet History" Matthew Battles
"Rose Madder" Stephen King
"The Name of the Rose" Umberto Eco
"Red Dragon" Thomas Harris
"The Cheese and the Worms: the Cosmos of a Sixteenth-Century Miller" Carlo Ginzburg
"How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents" Julia Alvarez
"Cujo" Stephen King
"The Great Cat Massacre and Other Episodes in French Cultural History" Robert Darnton
"Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents in the Digital Age" David M. Levy
"BookMarks: Reading in Black and White" Karla M. Holloway
"On Writing" Stephen King
"The Living Dead" ed. John Joseph Adams
"Jurassic Park" Michael Crichton
"The Colorado Kid" Stephen King
"A Streetcar Named Desire" Tennessee Williams
"'Salem's Lot" Stephen King

nods
01-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I just re-read the Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemmingway and now I'm going fully into my "Africa" set.
I started Dark Star Safari: Overland from Capetown to Cairo by Paul Theroux, the travel writer. Then I will read Green Hills of Africa by Hemmingway and finish with Uhuru by Robert Raurk.
That's my plan for January.

ANOther
01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow painted lady, you got eclectic tastes. I finished An Irish Country Christmas on 12.31 and started On Thin Ice by Susan Andersen on 01.01. I also have Avenger by Frederick Forsyth, and plan to be reading State of the Onion by Julie Hyzy on inauguration day

painted lady
01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
yeah i'm a horror/fantasy/sci-fi/crime reader and i'm a library science grad student. two worlds meld!

LisaMarie71
01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I got bored with World Without End around page 575, so I've put that to the side recently. I read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, which is a great little memoir about distance running by one of my favorite authors, Haruki Murakami. Loved loved loved it. Now I'm reading the first Sookie Stackhouse book and enjoying it so far.

mansonluvr5692
01-02-2009, 07:58 PM
right now i'm reading ::

siddhartha by hermann hesse
woman warrior by maxine hong kingston
and i just started the joy luck club by amy tan

:)

JackieRn
01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I'll Fly away edited by Wally Lamb. Really great collection of stories from incarcerated women.

Coffee Luver
01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Right now I'm just finishing up "Such a Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster. Funny stuff!

Ditto. I asked for (and recieved) it for Christmas and I am just finishing it up. I love her books - she can make me laugh out loud so hard!! :lol:
Then I will be back to the books.... :(

PearFreak
01-02-2009, 11:45 PM
I just finished reading, "Marley and Me" - true, it's not a really deep read or anything, but I loved the book - I recommend it to any animal lovers out there. :)

A friend of mine and I were talking about starting a book club - so many good books, so little time.

Not too far into it yet, as my cousin gave it to me last night... but that is my book at the moment. :)

Michellelee
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I just started The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. So far I like it, each chapter is from a different character's point of view.

painted lady
01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
i LOVE The Poisonwood Bible. i've read it probably six times. Barbara Kingsolver is one of those weird authors who i only like in certain books... Prodigal Summer was pretty so-so, in my opinion.

Once i'm done with Just After Sunset (probably today or tomorrow), i think i might start reading books for the Young Adult Literature class i'm taking next semester... starting with my old nemesis, Huckleberry Finn. blech. dialect.

nakedmango
01-03-2009, 11:11 AM
For bookclub, I'm reading The Princess Bride. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/estragon26/Anybody-want-a-peanut--the-princess.jpg?t=1230999005

For my French skillz, I'm trying to read the next Harry Potter in French. It's not going so well--this is the third time I've taken this book from the library. Mon Dieu!

Shopaholic1204
01-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm reading Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

alinnell
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Thank you for starting this thread!!

I just finished Hurry Down Sunshine (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hurry+down+sunshine&x=0&y=0&sprefix=hurry+down+) by Michael Greenberg. Good book, but nothing like what I had imagined.

I just started The Art of Racing in the Rain (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+art+of+racing+in+the+rain&x=0&y=0&sprefix=the+art+of+) by Garth Stein. I love this book! A very easy read from the point of view of a dog. The dog's owner races cars, as my DH did for a while, and it's interesting that the book visits some of the raceways that we are familiar with.

After that, I'll start Revolutionary Road (http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Road-Richard-Yates/dp/0375708448/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231026549&sr=8-2) by Richard Yates because I'm sure we won't make it to see the movie.

Tonia
01-03-2009, 08:05 PM
This Present Darkness, by Frank Peretti

It is a Christian thriller - basically focusing on the behind-the-scenes working of angles based on our prayer. Good book.

Shopaholic1204
01-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Is Revolutionary Road a good book??

walking2lose
01-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I love seeing what everyone is reading. Personally, I am STRUGGLING to get through my first Jodi Pichault - a Christmas gift. It's Change of Heart, and what I really dislike about it is the way she is blatant in making the connections she wants you to make instead of giving the reader an ounce of credit for being able to make the connections herself. It's just not good writing, but now that I'm over halfway, I feel committed to finishing it.

doveyheart
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm currently reading Twilight. I've been pleasantly suprised by how good it is! I hope I don't get addicted to the series, since it is a little embarassing to be 26 and reading a book aimed at teenagers. Next I'm probably going to read a book called 90 Minutes in Heaven. Either that, or some kind of classic literature to counteract all the popular stuff I've been reading lately.

painted lady
01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Revolutionary Road is a reallllly good book. i read it for a class on fiction and the suburbs.

Smiling_Sara
01-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Read a real quick book this afternoon. Smitten by Janet Evanovich.

If you a fan of hers, it's a cute, quick read. Got it done in a couple hrs.

bosoxfan
01-04-2009, 10:52 PM
The Kite Runner and the Twilight series- love it!

Sarah Mac
01-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I am reading so many right now lol. I am reading The Punishment of Virtue: Inside Afghanistan After the Taliban by Sarah Chayes, Kabul in Winter: Life Without Peace in Afghanistan by Ann Jones, and Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

I love reading books about Afghanistan or anything around that region, since it is my focus in uni :D And I like a good romance every now and then lol like Twilight :-P

Sarah Mac
01-05-2009, 01:09 AM
If y'all like Twilight, read her other book called The Host. It was awesome and I actually prefer it over the Twilight series.

Smiling_Sara
01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm going to start How To Be Single tonight. Anyone here read it?

alinnell
01-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm glad to hear Revolutionary Road is good. I'm having a hard time getting into it, though.

I very much disliked The Host (my son liked it, though). I'm more of a Twilight fan!

After I finish Revolutionary Road, I have a Maya Angelou book to read Letter to My Daughter (http://www.amazon.com/Letter-My-Daughter-Maya-Angelou/dp/1400066123/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231166597&sr=8-1). I really liked her I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (http://www.amazon.com/Know-Why-Caged-Bird-Sings/dp/0553279378/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231166638&sr=1-7) and am hoping that this will be as good.

sxulcmnky
01-05-2009, 10:12 AM
i'm reading the twilight series. on book 2.

AngelMae
01-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I am finishing up, "The fat girls guide to life." By Wendy Shanker.

jelynn
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Thank you for starting this thread!!

I just started The Art of Racing in the Rain (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+art+of+racing+in+the+rain&x=0&y=0&sprefix=the+art+of+) by Garth Stein. I love this book! A very easy read from the point of view of a dog. The dog's owner races cars, as my DH did for a while, and it's interesting that the book visits some of the raceways that we are familiar with.

After that, I'll start Revolutionary Road (http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Road-Richard-Yates/dp/0375708448/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231026549&sr=8-2) by Richard Yates because I'm sure we won't make it to see the movie.

I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain!! I'm not much of a dog person, or a racing person, lol- but I recommend this to everyone :)

I just finished The Time Traveler's wife and loved it- looking forward to the movie! Just started the new Wally Lamb, The Hour I first Believed- so far so good!

beerab
01-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I think New Moon was my favorite of the series. I like a book with conflict. It keeps the pages turning. I have to say, though, that the triangle she started with Edward, Jacob and Bella left me feeling weird. You'll see what I mean when you get to books 3 and especially 4...very weird. But worth the read.

I agree! I'm about to start book 4 and I'm kind of like WTF is this crap?

My friend is like don't read the fourth book- you won't like the end lol- she's scaring me now. :?:

I'm started reading this book called "I Hope They Serve Beer in ****" while it has some funny moments, it's sad at the same time that a guy like this (narcassistic drinker and womanizer) exists. I don't think I'll be finishing it.

I LOVE the Poisonwood Bible- I've read it a few times :)

mazza
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm reading

"There are two errors in the
the title of this book"

by Robert M.Martin.

It's good.

alinnell
01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain!! I'm not much of a dog person, or a racing person, lol- but I recommend this to everyone :)

Yeah! I read it in two days. It was so much fun. Who'd know that a dog could have such thoughts!

Shopaholic1204
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm currently reading Twilight. I've been pleasantly suprised by how good it is! I hope I don't get addicted to the series, since it is a little embarassing to be 26 and reading a book aimed at teenagers. Next I'm probably going to read a book called 90 Minutes in Heaven. Either that, or some kind of classic literature to counteract all the popular stuff I've been reading lately.

I'm 23 and a HUGH Twilight addict!!!

Shopaholic1204
01-05-2009, 07:56 PM
I agree! I'm about to start book 4 and I'm kind of like WTF is this crap?

My friend is like don't read the fourth book- you won't like the end lol- she's scaring me now. :?:

I didnt like the 4th book when I first read it. But the 2nd time I read it, I started to like it. I'm sure if I read it again, I'll like it a little bit more.

painted lady
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
omg Beerab, is that by Tyler Max? he is RIDICULOUS. his website is sort of hysterical, in a "please never come near me" sort of way.

painted lady
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
also, Shopaholic, i'm going to be a youth services librarian, so i am OBLIGATED to read teen lit (and i'm almost 24). it's pretty embarrassing, but awesome at the same time.

Shopaholic1204
01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
I still read teen books. I'm loving the House of Night books right now. I want to re-read The Princess Diaries series. Those were such good books, but they just took forever to come out. I think I started reading them as a teen, lol.

I do want to read Revoluntary Road though. I'd like to read it before watching the movie.

painted lady
01-05-2009, 11:41 PM
oh man, i only read the first Princess Diaries, but i remember really liking it.

Shopaholic1204
01-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I think I only read the first 4. They were really funny.

beerab
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
haha I'm 25 (26 in 9 days) and I'm reading the series so don't feel bad :)

Painted lady yes it is- he's an obnoxious prat IMO and what's worse is women keep sleeping with him! What happened to self respect?! I mean dang, I enjoy sex as much as the next person but I refused to sleep with random jerks like that. It just drives me nuts when women let themselves get taken advantage of by jerks... Guys like that I always pray they find the woman of their dreams, the girl they want to marry and spend the rest of their lives with- and then she takes their heart, rips it out of their chest and stomps on it :D lol.

lol I have the Princess Diaries books- I like them :D

Shopaholic1204
01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
The last Princess book is coming out (or maybe it already did). I'd like to get the whole series.

Ophelia924
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Just finished The Zookeeper's Wife. I enjoyed it. It has been on my reading list for some time and just got to it. I actually put it on my hubby's reading pile. He enjoys reading books about that time period and I think he may make it through it.

ANOther
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Starting tonight The First Patient by Michael Palmer

painted lady
01-08-2009, 12:37 PM
i'm reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn... i don't want to, though. ugh. i don't like this book that much, but i'm trying to give it a chance. i haven't read it since i was in elementary school and i think i have a lot of bad memories of reading page after page of dialect. ick.

it's for my Multicultural Young Adult Literature class that i'm taking this next semester.... i thought i'd get a head start on it. i'm at least entertained and i'm not confused as **** yet. maybe i should get an audiobook so i'm not hung up on the dialect stuff.

Glory87
01-08-2009, 12:56 PM

I have it checked out of the library.

I am suffering from lack of attention. I have attempted multiple books without finishing anything: Toss of a Lemon, Beautiful Boy, Vicious Circle and the new Merry Gentry book. Ho hum, nothing grabs me!

LisaMarie71
01-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Glory, I hate getting in those reading ruts!! I hope you break out of it soon. Haruki Murakami novels were always good for breaking me out of a rut for some reason.

I finished the first Sookie Stackhouse novel and thought it was pretty entertaining but not as good as I expected it to be. Good enough for me to buy the second one today, though -- not sure when I''ll get to it.

I also just read the third Queen Betsy vampire book (Undead and Unappreciated) -- very silly series, but fun.

Last night I started Run by Ann Patchett. Her Bel Canto is one of my favorite books ever.

alinnell
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Glory, I had problems with Beautiful Boy, too.

JerseyGirl83
01-09-2009, 04:58 PM
young fabulous and broke by Suzie Orman :)

Glory87
01-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Glory, I had problems with Beautiful Boy, too.

I FINISHED it! *pant pant pant*

I also read The Great American Detox Diet - written by Morgan Spurlock's girlfriend after he did the 30 day McDonald's diet for Super Size Me. I checked it out mainly hoping to get some good recipe ideas, but it's pretty obvious she's a personal, vegan chef who spends all day cooking stuff.

alinnell
01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I FINISHED it! *pant pant pant*

Gah. That's the way I felt about The Other Queen (http://www.amazon.com/Other-Queen-Novel-Philippa-Gregory/dp/1416549129/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231542923&sr=8-1) by Phillipa Gregory. It kind of turned me off of her stuff, although I loved The Other Boleyn Girl (http://www.amazon.com/Other-Boleyn-Girl-Philippa-Gregory/dp/0743227441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231542976&sr=1-1).

Onmyway
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Just finished Half Assed by Jeanette Fulda. Very inspiring!

Clydegirl
01-09-2009, 11:52 PM
I've just started "Between The Bridge And The River" by Craig Ferguson, the best late night talk show guy on TV.

He's very talented writes, acts, does stand up.

srmb60
01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I got Q, R, S and T by Sue Grafton for Christmas. But I stopped in the middle of S to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Kingsolver. LOVE it!

lizziep
01-10-2009, 11:37 PM
oopsies posted in oct threat by accident.

i just finished Ender in Exile- and while I know a lot of people didn't like it and i must say it started off a bit... rocky - i enjoyed it and the second to last chapter is really intense.

i am now starting on the Kite Runner which I haven't read yet so far so good.

gigglez
01-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I am reading twilight as I have not been to the library to get anything, Dovey I have read 90mins and it is awesome. Right now I am waiting for the next Stephanie Plumb to come out.

lizziep
01-14-2009, 05:07 AM
i know i'm behind the times and all- but the Kite Runner was amazing. I really liked it. I actually had to immediately watch the movie afterward and thought they did a pretty good job it it. I am really glad I read this book- it's not one I would normally pick up it was recommended by a friend.

I've got two ready to read next and I'm not sure which one to pick.

daniellapants
01-14-2009, 09:49 AM
i recommend "dead until dark" (what the true blood hbo series was based on), it was a quick read that kept me interested. i also read "water for elephants" and "me talk pretty one day". i'm starting palahniuk's new one "snuff" tonight since i finished my sedaris book yesterday.

has anyone tried listening to audio books while working out? i'm wondering if i would enjoy it or if i would get frustrated with it...but i'm thinking that i would want to keep listening to the story so i'd stay on the treadmill longer haha!

lizziep
01-18-2009, 03:06 AM
i'm on a freaking book reading roll! i read the third Zelazney book in his Amber Chronicles series. Then I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. It was excellent and I'm very glad I read it.

On to the second book by the author that wrote The Kite Runner....or maybe Elizabeth Wurtzel's book B*tch. I can't decide.

mazza
01-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

Glory87
01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Ohmygod, that story in Me Talk Pretty One Day about talking about Easter in French class? It had me in STITCHES. I have also listened to David Sedaris read it and it's even better in his voice!

One Fifth Avenue (http://www.amazon.com/One-Fifth-Avenue-Candace-Bushnell/dp/1401301614/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232296247&sr=8-1) - this was kind of interesting. Started off slow, with a lot of characters, I almost stopped reading it. It got pretty intriguing by the middle and then it had a lukewarm finish.

Your Heart Belongs to Me (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Heart-Belongs-Dean-Koontz/dp/0553807137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232296312&sr=1-1) - why why do I torture myself so? What happened to the Dean Koontz of yore? He who wrote Lightning and Watchers and Strangers? Heck, I'd even take a Bad Place or Hideaway at this point! This was just dreck. I just plugged away at it to see HOW it ended and it was LUDICROUS. Awful.

Without a Backwards Glance (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Heart-Belongs-Dean-Koontz/dp/0553807137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232296312&sr=1-1) - a mom who walks out on her family on Christmas Eve and how that affected the kids' lives.

I have written something below in white text as a spoiler. If you don't want to be spoiled, don't highlight the section between the stars!

Really surprised they so quickly forgave the mother. It was a big build up to the "reunion" and then, well, nothing really. Thought the mother was a selfish, loathsome character and I really can't believe she was so easily integrated just because she wrote some letters after she left.

Shopaholic1204
01-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm currently reading Dead To the World by Charlaine Harris.

daniellapants
01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
i also really liked the part in me talk pretty one day where their dad is beside himself that david's sister is "fat"...but it's just half a fat suit! his book "naked" was also fantastic, but i couldn't get through even half of barrel fever??

i just finished "snuff", and now i'm a little ways into "survivor" - my b/f says it's palahniuk's best book.

ANOther
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Bearing down to get The First Patient finished tonight and then tomorrow I start State of the Onion

Chele615
01-18-2009, 06:20 PM
It's midterm time for my high school students that I teach, so I am reading books that can help them with their exams. I read "Dawn" by Elie Wiesel earlier and am currently in the middle of "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants". haha

TriciaIsMe
01-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I am reading Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland. It's a different genre for me but it was free so thought I'd give it a try. Not too bad so far.

Shopaholic1204
01-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I just started reading Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich!!!

Alexis
01-20-2009, 12:20 AM
I know this may be totally cliche cause i'm quite young,
but I am wanting to read the twilight series.
I have read Twilight and New Moon, now I need Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Shopaholic1204
01-20-2009, 12:55 AM
I know this may be totally cliche cause i'm quite young,
but I am wanting to read the twilight series.
I have read Twilight and New Moon, now I need Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

I love those books!!!!!!!!!! When I'm done reading the pile of books I have now, I'm gonna reread Twilight for the zillionth time, lol.

alinnell
01-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Who cares how old you are, I loved the Twilight series and both of my in-laws read them as well and they're over 62!

Smiling_Sara
01-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Can't open that link, prompts for a login name :(

Here is my book list (I started adding books read by date last spring):

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035707?shelf=read

Glory87, I'm still kinda new to bookreads...but would like to add you as a friend if I'm able to find out how. Lemme know if your interested and if yes, how to add you. :)

Shopaholic1204
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Today I'm going to read, The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. The movie looks pretty good, and Kate Winslet (LOVE HER!!) won a Globen Globe for it, so I thought I'd read the book before seeing the movie. I can probably finish it today too.

Shopaholic1204
01-21-2009, 04:31 PM
I just finished The Reader..so now I'm going to start, Untamed by PC & Kristin Cast.

Glory87
01-22-2009, 02:05 AM

I just started this tonight. I'm about 50 pages in and so far I love it love it love it!

Glory87
01-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Glory87, I'm still kinda new to bookreads...but would like to add you as a friend if I'm able to find out how. Lemme know if your interested and if yes, how to add you. :)

Sorry, I posted before I saw this!

I would love to add you too!

My name on goodreads is just Glory! I looked for you as Borntofly but I didn't find you :(

To add a friend:

Click Friends along the menu bar on top (kind of in the middle)
Click Add Friends (it's a green link on the top right half of the page, first of three green links)
Scroll to the middle, there is a box for Search for Friends, type Glory and click Find Friend
When my name appears, click Add Friend

It is surprisingly not very intuitive!

Smiling_Sara
01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I posted before I saw this!

I would love to add you too!

My name on goodreads is just Glory! I looked for you as Borntofly but I didn't find you :(

To add a friend:

Click Friends along the menu bar on top (kind of in the middle)
Click Add Friends (it's a green link on the top right half of the page, first of three green links)
Scroll to the middle, there is a box for Search for Friends, type Glory and click Find Friend
When my name appears, click Add Friend

It is surprisingly not very intuitive!

Thanks...I got it...I tried earlier, but it kept asking me to sign in and then seeing if anyone in my email address book was on goodreads. Let me know if it doesn't show up on your end. :)

alinnell
01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I finished Revolutionary Road (http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Road-Movie-Vintage-Contemporaries/dp/0307454622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232641444&sr=1-1) and will start Letter to My Daughter (http://www.amazon.com/Letter-My-Daughter-Maya-Angelou/dp/1400066123/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232641382&sr=8-1) by Maya Angelou tonight.

LisaMarie71
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I finally finished World Without End, which was good but probably not worth wading through 1014 pages. Now I'm reading the second Sookie Stackhouse book, Living Dead in Dallas.

Allison, was Revolutionary Road good? I'm interested in the movie but I'd prefer to read the book first.

alinnell
01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I finally finished World Without End, which was good but probably not worth wading through 1014 pages. Now I'm reading the second Sookie Stackhouse book, Living Dead in Dallas.

Allison, was Revolutionary Road good? I'm interested in the movie but I'd prefer to read the book first.

I really hated the book. I think the movie might be better. Weird thing about the book, I was at the dojo reading it and two little kids (like 7) came up and said their Mom was reading it too. I mentioned that I didn't like it and they said their Mom said the same thing, but she wanted to read it before seeing the movie. I figured we won't see the movie until it's on pay per view, so I read the book instead.

I just finished Maya Angelou's Letter to My Daughter (http://www.amazon.com/Letter-My-Daughter-Maya-Angelou/dp/1400066123/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232988273&sr=8-1) (very light read) and have begun Agincourt (http://www.amazon.com/Agincourt-Novel-Bernard-Cornwell/dp/0061578916/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232988315&sr=1-1) by Bernard Cornwell. It's a historic novel. I'm not sure yet if I like it or not--too early to tell.

alinnell
01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Has anyone read any Neil Gaiman?

Shopaholic1204
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm reading Dead As a Doornail.

MaNdA22
01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I just finished Twilight by Stephanie Meyer and I'm going out to purchase the second book in the series 'New Moon' can't wait. It took me a long time to get into Twilight but I kept on trucking.

I'm also reading the 2nd book in the sookie stackhouse series

Smiling_Sara
01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Gotta admit. I'm struggling to get through How to be Single. It's just kinda slow. I started 20 times a Lady and it's got some good laughes so far. About a women who has slept with 20 guys. That is her limit as well. She now goes back to these guys to find "the one"

Shopaholic1204
01-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm reading..Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice

Glory87
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Gotta admit. I'm struggling to get through How to be Single. It's just kinda slow. I started 20 times a Lady and it's got some good laughes so far. About a women who has slept with 20 guys. That is her limit as well. She now goes back to these guys to find "the one"

I loved the beginning of How to Be Single, but as soon as she left the US, it really started to drag for me! I put it down and read Time of My Life instead. I'm a sucker for those "what if/alternate future" stories. It was pretty good but the ending was WAY telegraphed. I'm on to Dear American Airlines now!

Jen

lizziep
01-30-2009, 03:15 AM
i have been devouring books this month. i just finished one called "awakening of a jehova's witness" it was very interesting i got to learn a bit about a religion i didn't know anything about.
i'm back on to Zelazney's series- i'm on book 4 i think. i'm not in love with them, but they are alright. i just wish the writing was better because the stories are interesting.

LisaMarie71
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
I just finished the 2nd Sookie Stackhouse book -- it was ok, but it didn't leave me dying to read the next one. I'll get to the next one eventually.

Now I'm reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I'm only a few pages in but I already love it. I hope the rest of it makes me this happy.

archychick
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Right now I'm reading Luminescence Dating for Archaeology and The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan (I love her). Next book is Life of Pi.

lizziep
01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
ooh i love amy tan. i actually have one of hers i haven't read yet. maybe that'll be next.

archychick
01-31-2009, 01:49 AM
Oooh! A friend just introduced me to Diane Mott Davidson, a culinary mystery writer. I'm looking forward to reading but hope they don't turn me *bad*. ;)