General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Gatorgal, I need some advice

1. I recently posted that we have to find a home for Max the cat. boobalah's allergies have gotten so bad that his dr says she should go.

We were talking about it the other night and he seems to think that they got worse after we put her on the thyroid med. (pill) My questions are:

Do you think changing to the liquid med would do something different to the dander she lets loose?

2. I think her skin is drying out because of the weather. What can we do to stop this scratching and gnawing she is doing?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Last edited by cbmare; 12-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

I'm bumping this back up. Maybe others have the same problems with their pet's skin drying out.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you asked your vet about this?

You could also go to the pet store and see what they have? Often small pet stores can give some advice. There is a holistic type pet store in my area that I would go if I had similar issues because their staff is knowledgeable. There may be some food you could give max such as avoderm which is good for skin/coats. Although I'm sure there is something you could put on his coat, not sure if that is wise due to the fact that cats clean themselves.

Oh and I found this article. It basically says the same thing I did:
http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Dry_Skin_Cat

Last edited by nelie; 12-12-2008 at 01:45 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i don't think changing from pill to liquid would make a differnce. Its the same meds just liq vs pill There is a product (forget its name) that helps reduce the dander. You can try that. I also suggest seeing if you can put essential fatty acid supplement in the diet to help too (it doesn't happen overnight). I recommend getting them from you vet however, not otc. Its very possible her skin is drying out due to the winter, but its also possible she has other things, espcecially if she really acting itchy. Dry skin doesn't usually make them severely itchy.

i would also check to make sure her thyroid is in balance. Since the thyroid plays a role in the skin. Make sure it hasn't gotten too high or too low. Also make sure you are feeding her a high quality cat food. I know everyone has their favorite but I personally swear by Royal Canin. It doesn't state "organic" like all the rage...but they don't have to because they use high quality ingredients.
good luck...sorry i missed the last post. been busy lately (:
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thank you both for your response. She's due to go back to the vet after the first of the year. They do bloodwork every 6 months.

The vet recommended Royal Canin. We tried it. Max hated it so we had to wean her off of it and back onto her current food.

I'll check into getting some sort of supplement. That may be what she needs. She just started the yummy butt and scratching thing after the weather started turning cold.

Thanks again.