Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Default Heart Problems

So Monday I went to my the heart doctor. Well they want more testing. On the strip from my heart moniter that I had to wear 24 hrs. There were a couple spots where my heart beat was 167 in 11 beats. Which isn't good. The doctor said this then said it would be better if it was from the upper chambers but it looks like they are from the bottem ones. She then said which is very bad. Since they pump the blood. I didn't ask details on the what ifs... she went and got another heart doctor and were looking at my strips then they said lets walk outside. I couldn't hear them and boy did I try!!
She walks in with him and they ask a me more questions. Like if I swell up, faint shortness of breath and on and on. All are no... just I can feel my heart beating really fast at times and got very umcomfortable once because it kinda hurt. So then I ask what times were these beats off since I don't recall feeling them happen. One was at 3:10 am. I was sleeping the other they didn't say and I forgot about it since they were showing me the strip. I was thinking it was when I had finished working out. The doctor asked about my workouts I said I mostly do the walk and jog dvd. 4 miles Walk Away The Pounds. He said no more jogging.. then asked if my knees hurt when I do it. I said yes but I've had bad knees from long ago and since it's getting cold out I feel them more. Still no jogging. I can walk. I have to come in for a stress test which they should have called by now for when I could get in. I also have to wear a heart monitor for 30 DAYS!!!! To which they are on back order for the one I need. It sends data directly to the doctor and the maker with a cell phone that I have to carry along with the monitor. The last monitor pads (sticky things I had stuck on my body) gave me such a rash and itched terrible! That was only for 24 hrs I can't imagin 30 days! I'll do what I must. Right now I'm taking this all in and preparing for the worsed. I have no idea what treatment are and what then next steps are if they find stuff. I do know I will keep eating healthy and due my best to lose even with the cardio limits. I don't know how I'll do it. Cutting calories I guess but I'm such a slow loser and I am at a loss right now.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I am sorry that you are having to go through this right now. Try and be positive. No need in stressing yourself out more until you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Just think how much you have helped yourself by losing the weight you already have.

Just remember you can always come here and vent!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 284/279/170

Height: 5'11

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know it's really scary but please remember that dread and worry will cause more stress and make the problem worse. Try to relax and remember all the good things you have done for yourself.
Have the Doc's check your thyroid and check to see if you have sleep apnea.
Please let us know how you are progressing.
Good luck!
WifeyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #4  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

i second the fact that you are doing everything you can to help your heart by eating properly and exercising, something i find helps weight loss and isnt hugely cardio based is pilates..

i have a DVD called MTV Pilates Mix which is brilliant.

Please try to stay positive and above all know youre doing the right things x
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #5  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

I am so sorry you are going through this. I also had to wear a holter monitor for 24 hours once. I can only imagine 30 days What brought you to the heart doc if you don't mind my asking? I was having chest pains a lot and only during exercise earlier this year and had an abnormal EKG so I did the 24 hour halter monitor, stress test and echocardiogram. I was told I was fine but to be honest sometimes I'm not convinced. I would certainly take it easy for now with the walking and don't ignore any signs (even if it's slight) the doc told you. I hope things will be fine let me know if you need anything.

Last edited by Gela; 12-04-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

That sounds like a lot to go through both mentally and physically *hugs* and I`ll be hoping for good results from the test for you.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You might ask them if it's OK to rub in a little hydrocortisone before applying the pads.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I don’t mind answering questions. I figure maybe someone might be going thought the same thing as I or had and any advice or support is great.

This started when my sisters started talking about our family history of heart problems.
It got me thinking of when I would have heart flutters and when I had my yearly checkup I told my doctor. She then set this ball rolling.

I had an ultra sound and EKG both came back ok. I also had to wear that Sleep apnea monitor which turned out to be a very mild form. So there is nothing really serious there.
I had a thyroid test last year which was fine but Monday my heart doctor wanted another test so they took blood for thyroid and metabolic (not sure what that is) and something else I can’t recall. At my recent regular doc visit my blood work came up fairly well my bad cholesterol is fine. My good is too low. Which I am working on. I’ve not always remembered to take my fish oil pills so will make double sure to do this. I do eat healthy fats on a regular basis so I’m not sure how it could have been low.

One good note I will have my stress test tomorrow. (morning)YEAH! 1 thing almost down. I was told it could take up to 3 ½ hours not to eat 6 hrs before or have caffeine 24hrs before.
I will look into that MTV Pilates Mix and ask about the hydrocortisone. Fingers crossed on that.
Thanks everyone for your support!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #9  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Could the sleep apnea be connected to the ventricular beats somehow? When I had my husband in the hospital he fell asleep without his cpap and had some premature ventricle beats. It sounds like you're having the nuclear stress, which is the best kind. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. I'm glad you are having the tests now though, and getting it taken care of.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

You're doing everything you can, try not to stress.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #12  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Mez - I'm glad your getting it checked out. I had to wear a monitor for a month several years ago because I was getting palpitations.
Same thing, where I had to call in the signals using a phone. What a PITA.
This was after I had lost about 25 pounds.

After all that, the doc said that the palpitations were a normal thing to happen as you age and also that my weight loss and change of metabolism could have been causing them.

I rarely get them anymore.

So - my thoughts are with you.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I'm so glad you're getting checked out now and are catching these things before something tragic were to happen! This is a very good thing.

Regarding breaking out, please let them know. Usually, there are alternative pads and products they can use. It's possible that the adhesive has some latex material which is a known allergen for many.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #14  
Senior Member by the Sea

S/C/G: 275/175

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you have a good attitude - do whatever it takes, follow doctors' orders. You were wise to get this checked out, and now the tests are being done. Be reassured by Lori's experience.

I had a heart condition diagnosed in January. It turned out not to be as bleak as initially thought, and is now well managed by medication, diet, walking, and, subsequently, weight loss.

You're in my thoughts.
Farseashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Mezmerise,

You are doing all the right things. Now just focus on taking care of yourself and maintaining balance. Hugs and prayers are on their way.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote