Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #1  

Question Considering WW....can someone help?

I am considering WW and have been looking into for awile. I am breastfeeding and delivered 2 wks ago.

What I was thinking about doing is just counting the points and getting support online and NOT joining WW at first so I can see if I like it and then joining if it works for me.

Any advice or feedback would be great!!!
Coloradogrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #2  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

Definitely try it and see how it goes before you join... if it goes well... then join... sometimes you come across problems so maybe joining would help. I've been counting on my own and using this website and I've been fine ... so far.... *knock on wood* WW does work... if you follow the rules, and they aren't that hard to follow .... good luck =)
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #3  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on your baby !
If you are breastfeeding, you cannot do the online version of WW, (well, I suppose you could lie in the questionaire when it asks if you are breastfeeding) but they do allow you to join/attend the in-person meetings while breastfeeding. Good luck
HiHoHiHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

You don't want to lie on the questionnaire You get more points to eat when breastfeeding, and those extra calories are integral to being able to continue producing milk!

I'd say go for it. Try it out, see what you think, then if you like it, join. There are a lot of benefits to joining, so if you can, I do recommend it. However, many people follow the program successfully without a subscription, so you can do it either way!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #5  

Thanks so much I am excited to do it I am going to go tonight and go grocery shopping and I am thinking about getting some lean cusines/smart ones so I can easily pop them in. One of my biggest issue right now is I am NOT eating hardly anything....I am not hungry at all and I DONT want to lose my milk supply(nursing is very important to me)

I did see that they had Mom & Me classes which would be great!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6.5

I have done WW in person and used their website. I agree that the program works, if you can follow it, which isn't that difficult if you are determined. Also check out free calorie websites. My new addiction is fitday.com!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would agree--you can do it alone. I went to a meeting in my area a few months ago and couldn't stand the facilitator. I noticed that despite me being in a heavily populated area there were also only a handful of women there. I do like their recipe ideas for 1 and 2 point things to be certain. Most of their advice I find to be helpful and factual. I have several friends though that became frustrated because WW was too slow for them. Sometimes dieting or lifestyle changes take some tweaking. You have to roll the dice and adjust the next throw accordingly.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

If you nurse you can do the online version It gives you extra points!

I have found the program to be very effective as long as you have the drive to do it
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #9  

I have been ADDICTED to fitday for years now I love that site!

I have heard WW can be slow for some but after reading I think it may be the best bet for lifestyle and also breastfeeding
Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, I really need the weekly weigh-in to keep me motivated, so an in-person group for me is necessary. Now that hubby and I are on disability though, we couldn't afford to both do WW, so we joined TOPS ($28 for one person to join and $36 for a couple, that included a monthly magazine and $3 monthly dues for each of us). The math worked out to $9 a month for both of us, but it turned out even cheaper because there are several ways to get free dues or win small amounts of money for being the week's biggest loser.

When we first joined I was following WW, and so were many of the other members in my TOPS group. Several times in the group, members who were former members of WW would give or sell very cheaply their old WW materials. So if you do join a TOPS group, because WW is changing their program you might find several members willing to part with their old materials. I know some of the TOPS members in my group were talking about joining WW to get the new program and see what it's all about (because TOPS allows you to follow any food plan you like, a lot of members are on the look-out for a plan that might fit them better than what they're on. Weight Watcher's is usually the most popular plan, followed by South Beach).

You can be a member of both groups simultaneously, although I don't think you're eligible for the national competition awards in TOPS if you're currently or have been a long-standing member of another weight loss program simultaneously during your weight loss (because TOPS is a non-profit organization, they don't want to be associated with a commercial plan of any sort, or to allow the implication that you need to belong to a commercial plan in addition to TOPS).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-04-2008 at 09:07 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #11  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

How much does it cost to join WW? I really feel like I need a better focus and guidelines
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

I'm pretty sure it depends on your area. If you go to the WW website they'll tell you how much - I want to say it's $19.95/month for eTools or $39.95/month for the Monthly Pass (eTools + meeting), or you can pay just for meetings and pay for them individually at $10-$14 each. Don't quote me though
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #13  

You must be a meeting member to do e-tools. You can do the online only for about $17 per month.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #14  
Starting to Get It!

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks
AmberE is offline   Reply With Quote