Old 11-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #1  
I can DOET!

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'3"

Default OT - New with a question

Hello. This is my first time in this group. I have been on 3FC for about a month now. I love encouragement and love and support I get from this site! I am a Christian- New to the faith. I have been going through some things for the past few years with my cars. I need some help. It seems to be every time I purchase a vehicle it doesn't last, it breaks, falls apart! I have prayed for a new car and I *Thought* I was listening to God when I bought my Mini Van In February- But just 6 months later the transmission blew. I had to start taking my son back and forth to preschool- So my husband and I saved $1000 and bought a 1994 VW Jetta in September. It had a few kinks but it ran and it got my son back and forth to school. Well last night we got our first BIG snow in NY and my jetta got stuck in my in laws drive way- My husband had to drive 30 miles per hour all the way home. It Will not drive in the snow- Its not inspected, (in NY we have to Inspect our cars every year, mine ran out Nov 1st ) The windshield wipers stopped working last night- and the tires are now balder from being stuck. My father in law is a very great Christian man(Thank God for him) and every year he give us and his daughter $500 for Christmas- SO appreciated this year the economy stinks, we all know that. Money is so super tight right now- Without this money my kids will not have anything for Christmas- Probably not even a tree.(I teach our kids the real meaning of Christmas, and we donate our old toys to Salvation Army before christmas, so in need kids will have toys and clothes for the hoilday...ect.) So I have been praying almost all day and all last night about what were going to do. I need a car to take my son to school Monday through Thursday. I have appointments coming up...ect. The only answer I am getting from God is "Wait, don't water the weed- Grow the flower". So do I spend our family's Christmas money on my beater car? Or the only other option is park my car or try to sell it wait till the end of January and buy a car? Our income taxes will be back then- its the only time I could afford to buy a car. So Im in need of prayer. Thank you. Any advice would be needed.

<3 Sarah
Sarahkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Prayers going up for you, Sarah!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Welcome Sarah. Hugs.

You bring up some great questions. Of course I don't know what our Lord has in plans for you but coming from me I would say that God wants you to do "WHAT" you feel is the most responsible thing to do.

Qustions that you are asking don't have answers, we can't predict the future or what will happen to our vehicles...but we can be sure that as Christians God will provide for us as long as we continue to follow in prayer.

You don't need to pray "hard" or 24-7...He hears you...He knows before you ask. REST in Him. Talk it over with your husband, your concerns, and go with what you both decide is the best thing to try for your family. If at some point you feel you are making the wrong decision....change it. God gave you a mind to think and make decisions for yourself....He will support you. Rest in His guidance.

Giving to others at times when it is the hardest for us is truly a wonderful gift God has allowed us to do!

Blessings and prayers are upon you! - Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 186

Height: 5'6

WOW Sarah! I sure do feel for you. I agree with Ronni. Bless your heart, I will pray here in Texas, that God will show favor upon you with not just a car but a new one, that can drive through the snow!
I have been going through somewhat the same thing trying to find a good computer and I was so happy and thanking my Lord yesterday , found a Lap Top at a resale shop for 50 dollars and it was working it was just what I had been looking for, they sold the deal to hook it up to electricity as well and when I got home plugged it in turned it on , it showed Dell.com on it and nothing else so I punched ESC and it said this computer only has a 66 memory and it needs a 100 memory! What happened? I emailed the man who worked on it and he said I don't know what to tell you except to punch on F8 and go in safe mode . well it won't do nothing on F8... I emailed him back and asked him if he knew anything else to get it going because that did not work, he has not emailed me back. I cannot understand why it worked there and not here???
Nita Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #5  
I can DOET!

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'3"

Thank you ALL for your advice, kind words and prayer! It wasn't in vain! Something BIG has happened!! I had a mini melt down Saturday night, and I called my mother in law to ask for a shoulder to lean on- Well she talked me through a lot of things. It came to my attention that EVERY car I have purchased in the past 4 years has blessed the person who received it after I was done with it. Take my $3,500 van I bought in Feb 2008- I had it for 6 months...It got me to NC to see my mom for a week...then when we came back, the transmission blew. I sold it on Craigslist for $1000 *A $2,500* Loss- to a really NICE older CHRISTIAN man, who was able to fix it for $80 and give it to his daughter who just had twins. Before the van I had a 1999 Dodge Neon, I LOVED that car!!!! Well on cold winter morning it wouldn't start. We tried everything....Nothing worked.. My husband gave it to his best friend *free* Dont you know he put a new fuel pump in and it worked. LOL...There has been 3 other cars with similar stories! LOL.... Long story short.... I was and am doing Gods work, though these cars! I am truly Blessed. I am taking my current car to my family mechanic this afternoon and my In laws are helping me pay the bill....and my MIL is helping me get my 4 year old back and forth to school. I will keep you updated about my car....

Prayers that the repair will not be costly would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you once again! God Bless!
Sarahkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 186

Height: 5'6

Alright Sarah! Isn't our Lord amazing!
Nita Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #7  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, Sarahkatt. Prayers for your situation and for the bills to not be more than you can handle. I know where you're coming from Isn't it wonderful when you find that there are others who will help you out and to also find that you have helped others when you didn't even realize it?

We've found that it isn't the big things that make the Christmas holiday, either. One year we found ourselves living in a 1-bedroom apartment (4 of us,plus a dog and cat) at Christmas. Absolutely no room for anything and not much money either. We made our "tree" out of green wrapping paper and taped it to the wall, then decorated it with paper ornaments and paper chain. We hung some Christmas lights from the ceiling and at night, it looked like an enchanted place. The DS's knew that the focus was our Lord and Savior and we had a really nice, yet small Christmas that year. Don't put money you don't have into something that will get disposed of on Jan.1. Keep it simple and use what you have to make it special for the kids. We've found that when you know the real meaning of Christmas, everything else just falls into place.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SARAH ~ when we were kids, my parents had to watch their funds becuz they had six children; so they came up with this idea -- they bought or made one special gift for each child and then added 2-3 smaller gifts to go under the tree along with that. Each child was asked which item they wanted most before Christmas, so they could work hard to get it for them. We were always pleased with that arrangement. Our mother showed us how to make the dinner and gathering with family or friends the main focus, which made it more enjoyable.

We would help her make a few goodies or cookies for Christmas Eve as well; that was really nice. Of course, my brothers would get us a real tree and we all helped decorate it; and we always had Christmas music. Also, we would go out and do caroling along the main street each year in the evening with others and I loved that. Then we came home and had hot chocolate and homemade cookies. We had a simpler Christmas than many, but just as delightful; and those good memories have lasted a lifetime for us all.

My DAD, who is a mechanic, told us that if we could fix our car for under $1000, that we should do it; if your budget is $500, try to keep to that, or whatever it is. We put some money each month into a car repair fund; so the money for repairs is there for us now. Have cars, will need repairs; that is just a fact of life. Remember, that a few repairs is better than a car payment each month, right?

You are learning through these experiences; you learn patience, and how to ask help from others (who get the opportunity to help you so they can be blessed too). You can learn how to find other ways of doing things as well; whether it be other modes of transportation, or how to make a wonderful, yet simpler Christmas for your family.

Prayers are ascending for you and your family too! Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote