South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #1  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Question How do you remember all your snacks/meals?

South Beach (and Phase 1 in particular) is very big on the concept of eating regularly throughout the whole day. For me, this is one of the biggest struggles. I find that at least half of my cravings for unhealthy foods are because I forget to eat and my blood sugar goes too low and I get cranky and want "comfort food". I don't really get very strong hunger signals... sounds great to some dieters, but what ends up happening is I think "Am I still hungry? Hmm, I dunno - but this is tasty so I'll keep eating." I often end up eating my first food around noon and then dinner at six when my sweetie gets home. By about nine in the evening I'm so out of whack I can end up on a pretty bad binge.

Does anyone uses some sort of gadget or service to just remind you every few hours to go eat? I've thought of using my cell phone but I'd have to reprogram it every time it went off, and I know myself well enough to know I'd probably forget and or get fed up with that. I've looked for alarm clocks that you can set multiple times on but haven't found any...

So, what works for you? What do you do to remind yourself?
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #2  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

My best friend uses her cell phone to set alarms. She's a skinny minny and doesn't feel hungry either, but she's getting up in age so she must eat throughout the day. Me, I never forget or miss a meal. Ha!
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I can't eat for an hour after I take my morning medication so when I take my meds I look at the clock and then grab some food and take it with me as I leave. This morning I brought a granola bar and a banana with me to class. The start of class was roughly an hour after taking my medication so I used the start of class as my cue to remember to eat.

The biggest thing for me is to carry healthy food with me. Lately that includes apples, bananas, granola bars, and string cheese.

EDIT: Oh whoops I wandered into the South Beach forum - so if the foods above don't make sense that's why. But as for remembering to eat I try to tie eating to some cue to help me remember like the start of class, or when I get home, or once my paper is done, etc. I have ADHD so I'm always trying to add extra cues to my day and pairing things works fairly well for me.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 11-13-2008 at 01:53 PM.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I eat when my toddler does. He is like an alarm - every few hours he comes to me and tells me that he is hungry. I do have a backup though, because there are days when he doesn't eat at all. My PDA has an alarm that I have set to go off at 3 hour intervals during the day, every day. It is to the point now that I don't really need the alarm, but if I happen to be particularly busy that day it does come in handy. It might take awhile for you to develop the habit, and until you do - set an alarm! Whether it be a cell phone alarm, computer alarm, IPod...whatever.

When we plan our meals and snacks ahead and don't allow our bodies to become ravenous, not giving in to those little temptations is all the more easy.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #5  
Creative Beacher

I schedule regular break times into my day, always at 10:00 and 3:00. It is harder to remember on the weekends vs a workday because my whole schedule tends to be out of wack. Sometimes I keep my snack with me so I have a visual reminder. Although it is hard not to eat it too soon when I do that.
merryalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I use my cell phone. It has the potential for 7 different alarms. We use an alarm clock by the bed so I never have to change the times on my phone. It is recurring as well, so this is the schedule every day. It really, really helps.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #7  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I'm my own alarm - every 2.5 to 4 hours my body is letting me know it's getting to be that time. I eat when hungry

Last edited by GONNABE165; 11-13-2008 at 03:23 PM.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote