General chatter - I've been asked what I want...

View Full Version : I've been asked what I want...

kelly315
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
for Christmas. My dad and his wife usually get me something fairly decent sized for Christmas, but they always ask me what I want before. If I don't pick something, they usually will spend the same amount of money on completely random presents.

So, I might as well ask for something good, but I really don't know what I want. I definitely don't want clothes, because they won't fit me for long enough to be worth it.

Does anyone ask you what you want for holidays?? What should I ask for? Last year I got a digital camera, which was cool. (what a weird situation, it makes me feel like a little kid!)

Nichole28
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I told dh I wanted a Wii fit lol, my dad is buying the kids a Wii for xmas so now I can get a Wii fit hehe. I know if my dad asked me I would tell him a spa gift cert LOL. There is a package I want to do so bad, but I am saving that as a treat to me for when I hit my 199 goal lol

srmb60
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
I ask my adult children to make lists ... long lists. Big things, small things, extravagent things and frugal things. I can then choose things they want but it's still a surprise.

And yes, they do it. And no, nobody is getting a ferrari (again this year).

Nichole28
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
LOL SusanB, doesn't hurt to ask though huh LOL

iowa girl
11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Do you have an IPOD? I got mine as a christmas gift 2 yrs ago and love it...I seriously don't know how I made it through workouts w/o it

kelly315
11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
yeah, I have an mp3 player, and it works just fine. Wii fit would be fun..but I don't have a wii :(

decisions, decisions....

cbmare
11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
How about a gym membership and/or a personal trainer?

kelly315
11-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Gym membership is a good idea, but I already pay like $80 every quarter for my college's gym, and you can't choose not to pay for it (part of tuition and fees).

luvja
11-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I just want my favourite perfume [Lise Watier - Neiges] Because I accidently dropped my last bottle one day after I bought it... :no: $85 DOWN THE DRAIN!

And clothes.... Summer clothes preferably, as I'm leaving for Jamaica the day after Xmas.

Thats all... I have everything else I need.

Chele615
11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
My parents ask me every year (for both Christmas and my birthday) what I want...but I never know! Plus, I can usually go buy whatever it is that I need/want myself. We are redoing parts of our house, so I think I might ask for an ipod clock radio thing. My alarm clock is from the 1970's, I swear! It still works great.....but something new would be nice.

I also want an external hard drive for my computer....just a portable one that's like 320gb or something. But my parents are so clueless when it comes to technical stuff, that I usually end up buying it for myself anyway. That's actually what I do with the majority of my presents. I'll buy it first, my mom pays me back for it, and she wraps it and puts it under the tree. LOL She does get other stuff that I'm not aware of, but the majority of the gifts I buy myself.

aphil
11-11-2008, 01:45 PM
My advice would be to check out some of your favorite places, and make a list, like SusanB suggested. I have my kids do this, and my parents have my husband, myself, and my kids do this, too.

My husband actually put on his list from my mom/stepdad a set of small chrome pieces to put on his Harley. :D

On my list are various fitness related things: particular workout dvds, kettlebells, sportsbras, hand weights, etc. I also have on there lotions and body washes from Bath & Body Works in my favorite scents...

If you have an iPod, iTunes gift cards are always good. Are there any particular household items you need/want? Any gift cards from favorite stores or restaurants? A certain pair of athletic shoes that you have your eye on maybe? You could always find a pic of them online, and print it out. :)

Amy8888
11-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Since you have an iPod, can you ask for iTunes giftcards? Actually, I LOVE giftcards, I know not everyone does though. But maybe you can suggest some stores you like so that when you actually want/need something you can pick it out yourself.

I'm usually at a loss for what to get for Christmas, but this year I'm asking for some "functional collectibles," as I like to call them. I bought myself a Brighton charm necklace this year after I got a new job, so now my husband can buy me charms to add (for him and on behalf of our toddlers). I also discovered a cool thing called a Miche Bag...it's basically a purse shell in either brown or black, and comes with different covers so you can completely change the look of your purse without having to move your stuff over. If either of those sound interesting to you, you can just do a google search and find out more.

And I'm also looking into getting a digital camera, if not for Christmas then for my birthday in March. I am also asking for a printer that will print directly from the camera because I know I'd never get around to printing pics without it. I know they exist, I just can't think of what they're called. Would that interest you?

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

gggirls
11-11-2008, 03:20 PM
since you have the gym membership how about heart rate monitor?

MindiV
11-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm telling my family that gift certificates for clothes is all I need this year. I'm done losing and can't wear anything I have anymore!!

peachcake
11-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I always make a list and my sister does too, we give it to both our parents (they're divorced) but my sister and I run interference to make sure they don't get us the same things (they get the same lists). Somethings I asked for:
Candles (in the scents I like)
A pop-up greenhouse
Plant stands and planters
Zip-up sweaters
Marucies and Craft Warehouse gift cards
Craft stuff (rubber stamps, paper, embellishments)
Desktop daily calendar
Steering Wheel cover
Fire extinguisher (haha! but I don't have one!)
Humane Society annual tree ornament (you buy it online)
Magazine Subscriptions (to your fave magazines)
Weight set
Coasters for my coffee table
Wind Chimes

I know it's kind of lenghty but hopefully you can get some ideas from it, as I don't know what your hobbies are.

KristasMom
11-11-2008, 04:12 PM
One of the things that my husband and I try to exchange every year is a gift to heifer.org. This is a non-profit that donates quality breeding stock to farmers around the world. In return, each recipient has to pass the gift along - a lamb, or a hive of bees, or something like that.
I feel it's appropriate for us, as we both have food issues.

But there are other charitable targets to remind us of how much we have - Habitat for Humanity, or a small local charity?
This year, I've asked for donations to breastcancer.org, since their bulletin board saved my life during treatment.
Think about it. I STILL want an ipod.

Sue

rodeogirl
11-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I make a list of big and little things. I put books I want on photography, things I don't like to shop for, treats like bubble bath, bath salts, good smelling candles etc.

By the way, the BEST candles on earth are at hobblecreekcandles.com - my mom randomly bought one once for me and now the whole family is into them. They make your whole house smell yummy and last forever. Try Pumpkin Spice - sooo good. And they make great gifts! And no I'm not a sales rep or associated with them, I just am a huge fan, lol. Many friends who love good smelling candles have thanked me for introducing them to Hobble Creek.

zeffryn
11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
There are so many things that I have on my Christmas list this year.

My husband and I buy small things for each other and use another portion of money to make a donation to some charity. This year we're donating underclothes to a local non-profit.

From our parents, we ask for large family gifts. My husband is asking his parents for a new laptop for law school while I'm asking them for a new freezer. My mom bought us a new television for our bedroom and a month of food delivery from a local place (we're having a baby a few days after Christmas) and I'm asking my dad for a new SLR camera. We get little stocking stuffers too, but our Christmas is really about just asking for "necessities" that we either can't afford to buy ourselves or, honestly, would just prefer to receive as a gift.

raw23
11-11-2008, 04:46 PM
My #1 thing on my list is an engagement ring!! :D

But other than that... just books and magazine subscriptions. I love Real Simple, and there are other various health magazines I'm interested in.

mazza
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't really know what to ask for. This is going to sounds totally cliche - but I just want to spend quality time with my family. It doesn't seem like any material possession could bring about the same happiness as a day or two spent having fun with my loved ones. It's like any choice about what 'I want' really isn't worth it.. since the things I want most in life are not objects, but improvements in relationships with those close to me, or changes in my life that only I can make.

...sorry I got all deep there but this thread really struck a cord with me today.

walking2lose
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
If you like to make awesome smoothies and what not, how about a Vita Mix? It's been on my list for awhile. I also want a professional "Chi" flat iron - they are expensive too.

Make sure you don't give (or ask for) any gift cards this year. I just heard on TV that Circuit City went bankrupt yesterday. They have millions of dollars worth of unclaimed gift cards that will more than likely NOT be honored (a court decides this, but it sounds highly probable that gift card holders are just OUT OF LUCK). The segment said this is likely to happen with many businesses this year, so say no to gift cards!

walking2lose
11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't really know what to ask for. This is going to sounds totally cliche - but I just want to spend quality time with my family. It doesn't seem like any material possession could bring about the same happiness as a day or two spent having fun with my loved ones. It's like any choice about what 'I want' really isn't worth it.. since the things I want most in life are not objects, but improvements in relationships with those close to me, or changes in my life that only I can make.

...sorry I got all deep there but this thread really struck a cord with me today.

Mazza - I think that's awesome! In my family, we have been doing this for about 3 years now. We do still do gifts for the kids (nieces and nephews), but not for the adults. It allows us to have a much less stressed holiday, hence we enjoy each other more. My in laws are partially on board, but the gift habit seems very hard to break for them (they love to spend). My family, though, really enjoys it.

Schumeany
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Our family is also not giving any adult gifts this year. Just gifts for the various kids. It has really changed the dynamics of the holidays a lot, and I love it.

My husband and I are buying each other a digital video camera -- a really nice one so that we can capture more images of our kids before they are all grown up.

However, if I was making a possible gift list, I am all about good movies, so how about a BluRay or other similar? I also just got a phone that has a built in navigation system which has changed my world. Gift certificates for clothes would also be good because you will need some interim sizes on the way down, and a certificate, even to a place like Target, will get you a lot of cheap t-shirts, sweats, jeans, etc. And call me crazy, but I LOVE power tools. A power drill that also works as a screw driver, changes a person's life. Or how about theatre tickets or a gift certificate to a nice restaurant...or both? You could treat yourself and a friend to a really memorable night out. I like getting experiences as presents.

kelly315
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
lots of good ideas!

Arlene Dallas
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I will be out of a job as of December 31st (eliminating my position) so I told my family that I didnt want to do a gift exchange this year as I am saving all the money I can to put in my rainy day fund. So I have purchased small gifts for my sisters and my mom that I buy and put away throughout the year and I will make some jewelry pieces to finish off my gifts. I am going to cash in some reward points to get my BF an Ipod. And for myself, there is really nothing I want-I pretty much have everything I need. I would love some items for my house but they are all big ticket (such as new wall ovens to finish my kitchen remodel, hardwood floors in my formals, etc) so those will have to wait until I have a solid job again. For now, I just want a new job for Xmas :)

zeffryn
11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
If you like to make awesome smoothies and what not, how about a Vita Mix? It's been on my list for awhile. I also want a professional "Chi" flat iron - they are expensive too.

Make sure you don't give (or ask for) any gift cards this year. I just heard on TV that Circuit City went bankrupt yesterday. They have millions of dollars worth of unclaimed gift cards that will more than likely NOT be honored (a court decides this, but it sounds highly probable that gift card holders are just OUT OF LUCK). The segment said this is likely to happen with many businesses this year, so say no to gift cards!

I'm not sure where you've gotten your information from, but I've heard from several sources that they have just filed for Chapter 11 - which doesn't mean that they are going out of business....just "re-organizing"...it doesn't mean that they may not go out of business in the future, but as of this moment, there are not plans to do so.

Here is a letter from their CEO:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=231769

Regarding the gift cards, they will more than likely be honored.

Arlene Dallas
11-11-2008, 08:40 PM
If you are going to buy gift cards consider VISA or American Express. Everyone takes them and they dont expire or charge you if they arent used in a certain time period like many other vendors do. I buy Amex cards each year for my neice and nephew since they are now in their 20s and I never know what to buy them. Also, with all the restrictions with travel I never carry gifts with me anymore and to save myself the hassle I gave all of my family (they live in NY and I live in TX) VISA gift cards last year. I even had them printed with my own saying and picture which I got to design on their website.

Amy8888
11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure where you've gotten your information from, but I've heard from several sources that they have just filed for Chapter 11 - which doesn't mean that they are going out of business....just "re-organizing"...it doesn't mean that they may not go out of business in the future, but as of this moment, there are not plans to do so.

Here is a letter from their CEO:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=231769

Regarding the gift cards, they will more than likely be honored.

Thank you for posting this. I copied part of the letter to post here, if that's OK:

"In terms of what this means for you, we have asked the Court for customary authority to continue to honor all guest programs such as returns, exchanges and gift cards."

When I suggested giftcards, I should mention that I doubt iTunes is going under anytime soon, and same with Target, where I can easily find a million ways to use giftcards very quickly.

Bee20nine
11-12-2008, 02:37 PM
My #1 is a Wii, but I still dont see that happening unless some serious money pooling goes on
#2 a new ipod (mine is just about toast)
#3 new clothes cause I want to be too small for all of mine.

Extasee58865
11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
My Christmas list to my husband consists of a digital food scale (I don't have one currently and tend to under-estimate my food intake), Billy's Boot Camp DVD Box set w/ weights & band, and a gift certificate Build A Bear Workshop (I am almost 30 yrs old and still have an obession with Teddy Bears, I still sleep with one!)

apotter8
11-16-2008, 04:09 AM
My number one is a ring from Tiffany's. I'm 100 percent in love with this thing. ans since I chipped in on expensive birthday gifts for my friends and got nothing in return, I'm hoping I can atleast get this ring considering it's only $100.

I think that from my dad I'll probably ask for new clothes and the sensitive solution proactiv set.

Maybe I'll even decide on a workout dvd that I really want

kelly315
11-23-2008, 05:14 PM
okay, so I decided to ask for a dvd-burner and the digital tv antenna for when the network switches over this winter.

tamaralynn
11-24-2008, 09:16 AM
I got my present early from DH this year - I asked for an iPhone - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I can download games, books, budget tools, recipes and more. It has an organizer, notepad, weather access, youtube, calendar etc. The Iphone is great, but it can get pricy for fees - therefore it would be good to get a data plan.

If you don't need a cell phone, you could get an iPod with the same capabilities (minus the phone).

To save money, I hook my phone up to the computer to connect to itunes - that way I don't use up any data.

suetalks
11-25-2008, 02:23 PM
I also like the idea of Visa or Amex gift cards. I have bought Vanilla Visa at the drugstore before. A $100 dollar card costs $105.95. Easy to use on computer purchases or anywhere.
I am not familiar with all the cards, but do read the fine print. Some cards start deducting a fee monthly after so long of not being used. I found that with Vanilla Visa after seven months.

That being said I would ask Santa for a new digital camera if we were doing gifts.