Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:39 AM   #1  

Default Doctor suggest taking anti-depressant for ED

I have a question for everybody here. I was talking to a doctor last week and told him that I basically have a binge eatting disorder and that my cravings for food are not physical but emotional. He suggested I start taking an anti-depressant as it might help.

Has anyone else ever heard of this as a treatment? He suggested meridia or other one's which I haven't heard of. I guess I just want to know if he is absolutey crazy for suggesting this or is this common practice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lianna
Old 04-23-2002, 11:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Lianna,

During my treatment, I was on the SSRI called Luvox... it is used for Obessive Compulsive Disorder or OCD... Which is what my Psychiatrist considers most eating disorders. It worked for me. I think a great deal of over eating is "self medicating" just like when someone with problems drink alcohol... the alcohol makes the problem better while your drinking it. Food makes the problem better while your eating it (Sometimes)... Just my opinion. But yes some doctors will treat eating disorders with an antidepressant to smooth the edges.

Hope that helps,
Amy
Old 04-26-2002, 02:22 PM   #3  

Amy,

Thanks for the reply. My GP gave me a sample of Celexa to try. We will see how it goes from there.

Lianna
Old 04-26-2002, 03:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

GOOD LUCK!

Amy
Old 06-17-2002, 11:03 PM   #5  

I've struggled with binge eating disorder at least since I was 14 and I'm now 31. I still haven't quite figured out my underlying cause for this problem but I recently started taking an antidepressant called Wellbutrin that seems to be helping curb my desire to eat.

I didn't want to have to take a medication like this but after gaining about 70 pounds in a little over a year I knew that I had to do SOMETHING before I was back at an all-time high again. I wish I understood more of the why's behind binge eating (other than that it is a coping mechanism like alcohol or drugs) but for now I'm feeling better and that's good enough for me.

The drug itself has a stimulant which helps my energy level quite a bit--I've never been a very active person and this has given me enough energy to stay busy nearly all day. Also, I seem to spend less time obsessing over what I'm going to eat next.

I hope that if you do try a medication that it helps you as well. It might be hard to ask for that kind of help but on the other hand it might give you boost to get you started and after you see some positive results you'll be able to continue on your own.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:46 AM   #6  

Hi I have been on alot of antidepressants such as luvox,olanzapine,trazadone,clomipramine ect. Right now I am on celexa but the doctor put me on the medications to try and make me eat.
Closed Thread