South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #1  
You can call me Chantili

S/C/G: 227/225/130

Height: 5'6

Default Newbie to SB

Hi there! I am brand new to the SB diet, and am getting ready to start it. Right now, I am in the process of getting myself ready to go.. reading about the right foods, getting the kitchen stocked with healthy foods, etc.

I have one question though... I have recently started eating the SB packaged lunches and Healthy Choice dinners (weight watchers approved). I also add some veggies to each to ensure that I get the nutrients I need...

Have any of you used some of the weight watchers foods in conjunction with the SB foods?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #2  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I, myself, go with SBD approved foods, mostly cooked myself, I don't buy sbd meals, I am vegetarian so not much choice there...
anywho- basically yes, I feel to answer your question- I count calories. I use calorie king to keep me on track.... basically using sbd but using calorie king to keep me on track!I aim for 1200 calories or less- knowing that I myself tend to not be 100% accurate
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, Monkeybean! Are you starting South Beach Diet with Phase 1? If so, make sure those packaged lunches and frozen dinners are Phase 1 compliant in order to do a clean Phase 1. I'm not too familiar with the packaged meals, but I think they contain ingredients that could cause cravings and aren't on Phase 1? South Beach eating means eating wholesome foods with no added chemicals. I'm glad you are reading up on this plan, and please do check out our entire site, especially the FAQ section. You'll find many helpful answers in there, and feel free to post often here, too.
Good luck to you, and we look forward to hearing from you often!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #4  

Hello! I just started the SBD yesterday. Good luck to you!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #5  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #6  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to SBD & 3FC!!! I personally would avoid any of the processed or frozen meals for Phase 1 of SBD. For me it's all about whole foods. I plan my meals weekly and go grocery shopping for the entire week. Good to see that your asking questions. There are a lot of veterans around here who really know there stuff, so ask away.
Good luck on your journey!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I'd avoid the prepacked stuff too....itty bitty portions and filled with yucky stuff. Go fresh...you'll get more variety and enjoy it a lot more!!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #8  
bkybky03

S/C/G: 150/144/118

Height: 5'2''

I have never used the WW food with the SBdiet, but I also have avoided using even SB packaged food while on phase 1. I recommend just making a bunch of meals ahead. Like chili, salad, cutting up sliced Canadian Bacon. You can even buy those pre-cooked rotisorry chickens from grocery stores that are really juice and quick in a hurry. The only prepacked food I eat while on Ph1 is EAS drinks, they sell them near slimfast usually in the grocery store. They have almost no net carbs and have 17grm of protein with only 110 calories and are really drink-able as a snack or quick breakfast. Good LUCK! It only gets easier the longer you stay on it!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #9  
You can call me Chantili

thanks so much to all of you! I will take all of these suggestions into consideration when I begin phase 1. I am still reading the book and want to make sure that I have read it in its entirety before I start. I know how important that is.

In the meantime, I must say that the healthy choice and south beach meals have been really good for me in the meantime. I feel that I am eating more normal foods, that actually have a good taste. I know they aren't as good as preparing my own foods, but until I fully understand the diet, these will be far better than what I have been eating.. burgers, fries, and most anything else that is fried!!

Thanks again for all the advice. I can use all that everyone is willing to dish out.. no pun intended. lol
Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Monkeybean!

I totally agree--the packaged meals are much better than some of the junk food out there. But you will find as many people suggested here, that it's better (for your pocketbook, your taste buds, your health, your level of fullness, and your level of cravings) to base your eating on fresh foods you prepare yourself. If you find yourself short on time, you can make a big batch of something and freeze it in individual portions. The Taco Bake is a huge Phase 1 hit around here (my DH, who's super-skinny, even asks for it when I'm not on Phase 1!) and would be easy to portion and freeze. Yum!

That said, I keep the hot sandwich meal in my fridge for those days when I don't have enough leftovers for lunch at work the next day. They're helpful in a pinch when combined with some veggies.

So glad you're reading the book! As you can see below, I think it's really important!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #11  
You can call me Chantili

beachgal, thanks so much for your input.. I am gonna have to go find that recipe! I am currently making a large batch of pinto beans and am going to prepare those in individual serving containers.

I really wish I could make more cook and store items, but I just don't have the freezer space! argh! I have toyed with the idea of getting a stand alone freezer, but now is not the time, financially speaking.

Thanks again!!!
Closed Thread