Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #1  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Smile Low-Carb for Me?

Well over ten (probably closer to fifteen) years ago a doctor recommended I try Atkins to help alleviate my depression and (non-diabetic) hypo-glycaemia; not to mention my obesity. Okay... I'm right on that, Doc!

I've never denied its effectiveness, but must confess to having always considered low-carb eating to be faddy and unhealthy. Well, with no other plan in mind, I've decided to finally give it a go to try to kick-start a loss. What's to lose bar unwanted pounds, eh?

Just three days into my own, slightly modified, version of the Atkins Induction, I feel great! Even hubby noticed my good mood today, and he's barely lifted his head up from work all weekend. I've got more energy than I've had in ages, and my daily dizzy spell(s) from low blood sugar haven't shown up at all. Oh, and I sneaked an early look at the scales too!

Maybe it's just the initial enthusiasm of starting — you know, setting off gung-ho and all that — and it's probably much too soon to tell, but... but... is it really possible I was wrong to dismiss it out of hand? I'd offer to eat my hat, but it's not OP!

Seriously, I've never felt so good in the first stages of a diet change before. Hope it continues.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

The problem is that there are so many people who don't actually bother to read up on a proper low-carb/healthy carb diet. They hear about the induction phase of Atkins, warp it to mean whatever they think it means, and then talk about how unhealthy and faddish it is.

The thing about Atkins and some of the other diets out there is that they AREN'T about eliminating all carbs from your life and eating nothing but meat and cheese. They are about managing your carbs and eating healthy carbs as opposed to unhealthy ones.

Atkins uses the induction phase to break you away from carbs for a bit, before adding back healthy ones. But the long term goal of Atkins is not to never eat carbs again.

I can well believe that by cutting back on simple carbs and cleaning up your eating, you're feeling a lot better. I don't follow any diet and I don't intentionally try to low-carb anything, but I do try to eat a healthier diet - all fresh foods, no processed foods, and only complex carbs and natural fruit carbs, and I feel SO much better when I stick to eating that way.

Good for you ... and I hope you continue with your plan and continue to feel great.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #3  
BlockHead =)

I don't know a lot about Atkins in particular, but following a reduced carb eating plan with a minimum of "bad carbs" is, I believe, literally saving my life. Even though for a long time, I knew I was a carb addict and knew I was harming myself with my eating habits, I wasn't ready until I was ready - I had to get my head on the right track before I could change my lifestyle. I am so happy that you are feeling such positive results! Best of luck to you!
jeniansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #4  
One pound at a time...

I am also on a very low carb-low cal diet as well. Once I reach maintenance, more carbs will start to be re-introduced to see how my body handles it. I have to say, I have not missed my pasta, potatoes, bread that much at all. I have a feeling that I will always have to be careful but I have cut all processed foods from my diet and I feel great! I am firm believer that you just need to find what you can live with as all diet plans work in their own way.

Last edited by ChocLabLover; 11-03-2008 at 08:47 AM.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy View Post
Well over ten (probably closer to fifteen) years ago a doctor recommended I try Atkins to help alleviate my depression and (non-diabetic) hypo-glycaemia; not to mention my obesity. Okay... I'm right on that, Doc!

I've never denied its effectiveness, but must confess to having always considered low-carb eating to be faddy and unhealthy. Well, with no other plan in mind, I've decided to finally give it a go to try to kick-start a loss. What's to lose bar unwanted pounds, eh?

Just three days into my own, slightly modified, version of the Atkins Induction, I feel great! Even hubby noticed my good mood today, and he's barely lifted his head up from work all weekend. I've got more energy than I've had in ages, and my daily dizzy spell(s) from low blood sugar haven't shown up at all. Oh, and I sneaked an early look at the scales too!

Maybe it's just the initial enthusiasm of starting — you know, setting off gung-ho and all that — and it's probably much too soon to tell, but... but... is it really possible I was wrong to dismiss it out of hand? I'd offer to eat my hat, but it's not OP!

Seriously, I've never felt so good in the first stages of a diet change before. Hope it continues.
First of all, let me commend you on having a Dr. that recommends Atkins! Dr. Atkins knew many years ago that steering clear of refined carbs & processed foods promotes good health...however, the medical profession, as well as many uneducated people claiming they are "doing Atkins" by eating lbs. of red meat, bacon, eggs & butter all day long...gave Dr. Atkins plan of meat, vegetables & salads a bad name over the years. "Doing Atkins" means reading the book before you attempt this plan and then doing the plan exactly the way the book instructs!

Eliminating your intake of things like white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar & white flour controls blood sugar levels...blood sugar levels control mood & energy. Your dizzy spells disappearing are also the result of your blood sugar being controlled by the foods you are eating. This is not fad...this is proven fact.

I am living proof Atkins works, not only for weight loss but, for maintenance of that weight loss as well.

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 7"

This also sounds a lot like South Beach.
You are so right about this - I am starting to find that eating a "sugary baked good" makes me a little dizzy, so they are no longer a treat. [Like about onece a month]. Unfortunately, I do know that the second one is fine - and I'm going to try to forget that I know that for a while.
Eating healthy - meats, veggies and salads. I'm trying.

Sue
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #7  
Made in England!

Thank you so much for the smart insights and for encouraging me onward. Seeing all the successes here is just strengthening my resolve to really give it my all. You chickies are a very inspirational bunch!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I didn't initially follow my doctor's recommendation for low carb either - it took a second opinion from a doctor who lost almost 100 lbs herself on a low carb diet to inspire me to give it a try.

I now know that carbs (especially sugar) not only make me hungrier they increase the pain and fatigue of my fibromyalgia - so I have several reasons to stick to low carb. It can be difficult, especially when it seems sugar is added to almost everything, but I'm getting better and better at it. I nearly gave up when I started thinking how hard and even sometimes impossible it seemed to stay on plan. I realized though, that trying and falling short was still a lot better than giving up and eating in a way that I knew made me sicker.

I still make a lot of mistakes, but I'm getting better and better at avoiding the foods I need to. And the more I avoid the high carb foods, the greater the impact (punishment) when I slip. Yesterday for our wedding anniversary dinner, I had a piece of key lime pie for dessert (my husband made a wonderful steak, crab, and green bean dinner and bought only two slices of pie for dessert, one for each of us). It tasted good (but not as good as I remembered it - too sweet for my current tastes), and I fought off the urge to binge afterward - but today I feel like I have a hangover and I'm thinking it's because of the pie.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-03-2008 at 02:10 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I think there is a lot of confusion about what low carb is, and seems the majority of people think it is 'no carb'. You can eat lower carb and still have things like fruits and veggies and even :gasp: oatmeal. It all depends on how low you need the carbs.

I am one of those than can eat 150 g of carbs a day and be fine, as long as those are good types of carbs. I also eat a minimum of 25 grams of fiber most days as well. I don't eat low carb, but lower carb and good quality carbs.

I also am not surprised that you are feeling better if you are cutting out the processed, high GI carbs.

I would definitely get out a South Beach book or Atkins book from the library, if you don't have a copy. Good information on how the programs work and the correct way to work them.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #10  
Made in England!

It's good to hear that your fibromyalgia symptoms lessen on this WoE, kaplods. It just occurred to me last night that my back hasn't been aching like usual. There really must be something to this link between unrefined carbs and certain health complaints for some people.

It's quite the change for me, fiberlover, because I've had a pretty high-fibre diet for the last few years — in addition to all the "not so healthy" things, of course — but it only has to be this strict for the first two weeks. I shall review, and start building in some fibre once that fortnight is up.

To allay any fears, I do have the Atkins book, and I'm not just winging it. I'm following the Induction, but have kept my caffeine, and allowed myself nuts and a little full-fat organic yogurt. I'm still within the carb limits for this phase, and it makes it more doable for me.

ETA: I love your photo with the 100 pounds, fiberlover! ♥♥ Congratulations on your achievement!

Last edited by DishyFishy; 11-04-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #11  
Changing Inside and Out

S/C/G: 276/249/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Dishy, grats on feeling better. I also suffer from mild hypoglycemia. I find that I can control it by not eating any carbs for breakfast. Eating only protien has really helped me.

I have been doing WW for the last 3 months. The first 2 months I lost 32ish lbs. This past month I plateau'd. To jump start my losses again, I am doing my own version of Atkins. Its a diet I did about 15 yrs ago. Its low carb also, but stays away from canned meats (except tuna for the first week) and uses low fat protein like chicken, fish and egg whites.

Good luck on your weight loss journey, and dont forget to get up and move around. I have not lost a single lb in over a month, but I am shrinking in size with the exercise I am doing daily.
luvin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote