Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default Snapping yourself out of it

I let a conversation with someone throw me into the dumps yesterday. I was having a really good day until I went to a party and got into a conversation with a holistic doctor friend about aspartame and nutrition and stuff. I told him I've been eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, and he responded that I need to be sure to exercise, too, because it gets the fluids moving and helps clean out the lymphatic system, etc. I told him I have been, which is true. I thought about saying that I'd lost 8 pounds, but I didn't because I just don't want to talk about weight loss with people outside of the board. It would be great if someone noticed, but it's understandable how they wouldn't because 8 pounds really isn't a lot compared to how much I'm carrying. It wasn't necessarily an uncomfortable conversation in the moment. I didn't really feel awkward or that I couldn't handle myself.

On the drive home, I was feeling good because the party ended while it was still daylight, and I'd have time to take a walk outside before trying a new bellydance video I bought.

As soon as I walked in the house, this horrible wave of blah hit me. I didn't want to exercise, just wanted to eat and feel bad. I tried to figure out what it was, snap myself out of it, but I couldn't. I thought I was maybe feeling bad because I'd accidentally brushed the curb with my front wheel while I was parking (I hate parking). I curled up in a blanket, because sometimes that makes me feel better, but it didn't. I tried watching a funny video, but that didn't lift the doldrums. I did not eat bad food (hooray for me!) but I also did not exercise. I ended up going to bed early.

Now, I can see why I felt bad. On my way home, I'd had this passing thought about how my friends might react as I continue to lose weight and get down to my goal weight. I've been large since college, and only one or two people I'm still in touch with might remember me at my smaller weight. I didn't dwell much on that though, but it must have really bothered me and I just didn't realize how much until I got to the "safety" of my own home.

Does anyone else have these moments where you're suddenly hit by blues so bad you don't want to do anything? Like all of your energy and enthusiasm just drains away? How do you snap yourself out of it? I bounce back, but I hate to get stuck in that moment.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default snapping out of it

I wonder what would happen if we had Cher walk in and slap us to tell us to "snap out of it" when these moments hit.

I definitely have them to, and while I can't tell you any secret formula to remedy, these sudden mood changes are not uncommon. Sometimes when they come for me, I have trouble remembering I was having a good day up til then.
I do find that FORCING myself out of doors helps. So having a dog helps, cause you have to get out periodically. I don't necessarily exercise, but just go out.

best wishes,
fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Go for a walk. ASAP.

Get outside and clear your mind, you'll feel amazing afterwards.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

How interesting it is that I noted your post. I have just finished listening to a program on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) about "ascetia." This is a feeling of being so disconnected that one doesn't even care about being disconnected. It is not the "blues" it is not "depression"; it is a deep dissatisfaction with where we ARE. It could be a relationship, a town, a job, or just life. But, when we feel this we fantasize that things will be better when XXXX or if XXXX.

The author who wrote the book they were discussing "Ascetia and Me" had discovered that some of the first writing about this was in the 4th Century. She and the broadcaster were discussing the modern expression of it and how the 24-hour life we have and the push for "progress" and "more" has exacerbated these feelings. They also talked about the phrase "whatever" seems to express these feelings. We say that to say I can't even care enough to care.

The cure? In the 4th Century and now: do something that takes you out of yourself. Take a walk, work in the garden, help someone out...whatever it may be for you to move beyond your self.

And, by the way, for over a decade I have had a framed card hanging in my kitchen. It pictures a young school girl with the phrase "Snap out of it" above her head.

One of my favorite Charlie Brown cartoons showed Sally jumping rope having fun, frame after frame. Then, she bursts into tears. Schroeder asks what's wrong and Sally wails "I was jumping rope and suddenly it all seemed so futile." I laugh and laugh about that one! Just go back to jumping rope and enjoy the moment.

Hope that helps!!

Rhonda

Last edited by Tejas; 10-26-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/170/160

Height: 5'10"

Hi Ufi,
I know where your coming from. I've been there for the last few weeks, but this week I've just gone completely off my diet. Too many carbs!

For me it's a result of a couple of 1 way friendships, I feel friendships are a 2 way deal. Even though you may not be interested in going back to college, be excited for me because I am. A friend of mine does not see that. She said to me back in August that "I'm not interested in going back to school, so why should I have to hear about it." Our conversations are all sided with her things, in fact she won't even talk to me if I don't start talking to her. I however have listened to many hours of stories regarding her son, boyfriend, family etc. with support and excitement because they are important to her.

So that caused me to be...just depressed, no energy, not planning meals and snacks, etc. I need to just snapp out of it too! I think what I need is a bootcamp. Starting tomorrow, I go back to planning all my meals and snacks, weigh every and count out portions, counting every calorie that goes in and get to the gym 2x's a week and bust it, take the stairs at work(on the 3rd floor) and school(on the 5th floor) and do 40min of Turbo Jam on Wednesday. No cheat meals or cheats at all! Strict strict strict for a minium of 2weeks. Then I can add in 1 cheat meal with in my calorie range a week.

I plan on using these "frenemies" as motivation. They both still think that I'll fail and not meet my goal, which I am about 10lbs away from.

Why not use that conversation as a push! You CAN and WILL do this! C'mon I plan on trying to snap out of my duldrooms starting tomorrow, join me!
ViolinJenn is offline   Reply With Quote