Exercise! - Pilates or weight training?

View Full Version : Pilates or weight training?

Joybells
10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't know anything about pilates but was wondering if it offers the same benefits as weight training. I am doing Walk Away the Pounds Tue, Thur, and Sat. and need strength training on Mon, Wed and Fri. Can I choose between pilates and weight training or do I need to do both?

Thanks in advance!

RealCdn
10-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Pilates (from what I know about it) will help with core strength, and with flexibility. Weight training will help you keep muscle you likely already have as you lose weight. I'd suggest try both and then see which you enjoy the most. I'm a little biased towards weight training as I enjoy it. However, in the end, the best exercise is one you enjoy - as it means that you're more likely to keep it up. Oh, and depending on your current level of fitness, 6 days a week might be pretty hard to keep up. I've done as much as 7 days a week but in the end find that 5 days a week is perfectly fine (preferably 3 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 1 day off). So I do 3 days weight training and 2 days fairly light cardio.

JulieJ08
10-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't know about Pilates, but yoga has made me muscular again (I did some weight training many years ago). At least in yoga, it all depends on how you practice.

Joybells
10-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you ladies. I guess I will try both to compare.

RealCdn - I think you are right that 6 days is a lot to keep up with. Right now I am enjoying it, but if it becomes too much I will take off Saturdays. Thanks for the heads up.