Old 10-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #1  
Just Starting Out

S/C/G: 303.4/252.6/175

Height: 5'5"

Default End of Day One and I'm Hungry!

I just started my healthy lifestyle today. I planned so well...or so I thought. All day long, I have been ravenous. I am positive that I can't be this hungry and succeed.

I have a lot of weight to lose and I thought 1500 calories was a good number to start at (I've read other motivational stories of people who were at or near my weight losing weight with 1500 calories), but maybe I am wrong.

This is what I had today.

B- 1 pkg. quaker oatmeal, 1 large banana and 1 light yogurt
S - 2 oz. blackberries
L - grilled chipotle pork loin chops (6oz.) and 2 cups spinach wilted in a tsp of olive oil and lemon zest
S - two peaches
D - 5oz. lean grilled sirloin steak, 1 small yam, side salad with mixed greens, cucumber and red wine vinegar.
S - 2 cups of diced watermelon

It came in around 1520 calories. Maybe I should up my calories? I don't really know!
peachinabrownbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #2  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Eat some veggies or light popcorn =]

Drink some water

Do something to make yourself busy

Go on a walk
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

You may not be eating enough. Here's a calculator that can help.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I'm 5'11, 279 pounds I eat 1900-2200 calories/ day. When I was eating 1500 or less, I didn't lose any weight. My body was just storing what I ate. Also, when I stared eating more often, I noticed I was hungry more often, but it meant my metablolism was kicking in. I love baby carrots, or raw broc. And also get some hummus and use the crunchy part as the chip. It's really good.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I second the idea that you're not eating enough calories. I started losing at 237 and 1800 calories. I didn't drop to 1500 cals until I got down to the 180s or so.

Also, I notice that you're eating a lot of sugary fruit - simple sugars. For a lot of people, fruit - and especially very sugary fruits - trigger hunger. You might try balancing out the fruit with some protein for your snacks. Or have veggies for your snack - the fiber will help you feel full.

Protein and fiber will help offset the hunger better than fruit.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #5  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I agree. If you're just starting, give yourself more calories per day. You can always lower the number later as your body adjusts to eating less.

Good luck!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #6  
Just Starting Out

S/C/G: 303.4/252.6/175

Height: 5'5"

Thanks you guys!

jillnicole - I took your advice and went for a walk. To the gym actually with my Ipod blaring and had a great workout.

I am going to up my calories tomorrow to something better suited to my weight. If that doesn't stave off the hungries, then I will see if the fruit is making me hungry.

The key is not to give up, right? I know I can do this!
peachinabrownbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm with the rest, I'd start higher. I still lose weight eating 2000 on rest days, 2150 on cardio days (~60 mins light cardio) and 2300 cals on lifting days (~70 mins strength training). I would suggest starting at least at 2000 calories (possibly even higher). You can always lower the calories later on.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachinabrownbag View Post
Yup, that's the key. This won't be the last time you have to experiment a little and make adjustments. You'll through that at various places along the way. Great start.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #9  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I agree with the others... try and up your calories and see how it goes. Less calories does not necessarily equal more weight loss, so with that logic, I'd want to eat as much as possible while still losing weight!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #10  
The beginning

S/C/G: 273/249/?

Height: 5" 6'

I tried the calorie calculator and it suggests I eat 2000 to achieve extreme fat loss. I tried this same type of calorie calculator on fitday.com and it suggested the 2200 calories. I'm starting to think this might be right. The weeks when I eat only 1800 calories a day I don't lose any weight but the weeks that I go over I lose weight. 2200 calories seems like a lot of calories.
shawnee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #11  

Yeah...I think that the ideal "feeling" in terms of diet is flux. You experience hunger a little before you should eat, and afterward you are content until snack/meal time, in which you feel hungry again and therefore sate it. It shows that you're burning fuel, not hoarding it. If your body is working at a good efficiency then it will tell you when it's hungry.

I'll admit, my diet and metabolism were so awful for years that I never really felt hungry, I just ate whenever. I was a bit confused when I first started to feel hunger pangs.

But, and I don't know what the diets currently rave about, I think it's wrong to feel hungry for any length of time. Hunger tells you to eat, so obey, just make healthy choices. And be sure it's real hunger, not mental hunger. Real hunger is in your gut, mental hunger is the cacophony in your mind of "COOOOOOKIES!"
Phoenixflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #12  

I agree with the others! Eat more calories. Figure up what you are eating right now to maintain your current weight and start with taking 500-700 calories off that number and try it for a week. If your losing keep it up.

You also have to remember that when we start a "diet" we are eating less food than normal so we will feel some hunger pains for a little while. But ifs its an all day thing eat more.

I personally dont think 1500 calories is enough for you. Or me...lol Im eating between 1800-1900 and since the 15th have lost 5lbs.

Keep it up!!!
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #13  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachinabrownbag View Post
Thanks you guys!

jillnicole - I took your advice and went for a walk. To the gym actually with my Ipod blaring and had a great workout.

I am going to up my calories tomorrow to something better suited to my weight. If that doesn't stave off the hungries, then I will see if the fruit is making me hungry.

Good for you!!! You can do this! Everyday is a battle, but we are women, we are born ready
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote