Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/214/165 WI day Monday

Height: 5'9"

Default Do you overeat AND overspend

I find the two are intertwined. If I am eating healthier I am spending more. If I'm spending less I get all sad and eat. It's a vicious cycle I'm working on and I wondered if others go through this too.
Thinnerinnerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For me, the two happen at once. I seem to have two modes..."Going Great" mode, where I stay OP with my food and don't spend much, and "Self-Destruct" where I overeat and tend to spend more.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/146/128

Height: 5'7"

I can see how if I am eating right, I am looking better so I want to go shopping to celebrate, but then I could spend all of our money, and get depressed about our finiancial situation and then, as an emotional eater, go back to my comfort foods (JUNK) to make myself feel better, which totally just makes everything worse... so, no, you are not alone in this cycle... ;-) Just be happy and try to do everything, including shopping, in moderation xoxoxo
Ami12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
For me, the two happen at once. I seem to have two modes..."Going Great" mode, where I stay OP with my food and don't spend much, and "Self-Destruct" where I overeat and tend to spend more.
Yup. Same here. My self control seems to be linked in these areas.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Apparently I do not interwine these two things. I am obessive about NOT spending money. I actually like it. I spend a good deal of time figuring how how to spend less, buy less, use less, consume less...less, less, less. Then I eat like a pig. Actually, I just eat junk, not a lot of it. But uh, yeah, so I get excited about not spending money and I get depressed when too much money is spent. Weird I guess?

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 10-20-2008 at 12:20 AM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #6  

LandonsBaby wow, is there a book I should read? I totally need to save more and spend less.

Mandalinn, you sound like me. I think that when I'm in total control it means my food and my spending. Then, it's all downhill. I'm trying to journal to work out these feelings but so far it's happening almost every weekend when my husband is home. Hmm, need to work on that!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Yes and no. When I'm eating properly, I can really economize on my food. When I lose concentration, I end up buying not exactly junk food but short-term, easy-eat stuff, rather than raw ingredients that will make up into a lot of stuff.
Usually, though, I don't overspend. Back in early 2006, I had a terrible financial crisis - I didn't do anything illegal but I should have spotted sooner that the Professional Advice I was following was going adrift - it was suggested I have my dogs destroyed to save money (I kid u not), it was thought for a long time I'd lose my job. Neither happened but I don't have credit cards, don't have an overdraft, don't qualify for loans. Even before and during the crisis, I never failed to pay a bill, and that has continued - but a lot more easily now that I budget for every penny, I also can have holidays and clothes and stuff more easily than ever, provided I save up for them first.
So what I'm saying is: financially, I'm a saint, foodily I'm a sinner. Why can't I be a food saint too?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Landonsbaby, if you are looking for a way to save money, I strongly recommend logging all your expenditures. Categorize them as you log them (make up categories like entertainment, groceries, social activities, education, etc). If you can do that for a whole year, you can decide if your spending matches your priorities (which sound like savings at this point).

The first year hubby and I did this (over 20 years ago!) , we decided we were spending too much on eating out and too lilttle on philanthropy. We adopted some ground rules for eating out, sent the savings to charity, and were happy with the new balance.

Budgeting money and calories are very similar for me. And journaling is a great technique for me to stay accountable and make sure I am meeting my priorities.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

For me I spend more money when I eat unhealthy because I'm eating out or processed foods. However, when I prepare things for myself I spend a lot less and am more happy actually.

The more weight I loose though the more I want to celebrate with shopping for things I LIKE to wear, which I haven't done in a VERY LONG TIME. I mean I wear things I hate because they are "fat clothes." So, I think that might be an issue because as you feel better about yourself you do tend to spend more on things like clothing and what not. Like when I'm 200 pounds I'm going to have a lot more options, I'm going to be able to go to normal stores and look for clothes...that right there can spell financial disaster lol.

They do go hand in hand..*thinks about that*
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/167/150

Height: 5'6"

I think this is a very interesting topic. I am very good at managing my money and not overspending. But not so on the food side of my life. I always wonder why I can't seem to transfer the money-type controls to the eating side. Please let me know if someone has figured this out.
cmonamonamona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

actually there have been psychological studies that show that self control is like a muscle that can be fatigued.

ie if your really disciplined about school for an extended period your more likely to spend money stupidly thinking you deserve it because of how hard you work at school. I think that this is informative to know because I know that I'm more likely to let things go when I'm disciplined about loosing weight, so I watch myself more carefully.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

At least on some things, I spent more when I was eating crap and being a couch potato. Both were all about denial and avoidance of reality and stuffing emotions.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #13  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
Landonsbaby, if you are looking for a way to save money, I strongly recommend logging all your expenditures. Categorize them as you log them (make up categories like entertainment, groceries, social activities, education, etc). If you can do that for a whole year, you can decide if your spending matches your priorities (which sound like savings at this point).
I do something similar. And we are starting the envelope method this week for hubby and for groceries. We already save $400 a month but I think we can do more if we are extra careful. I'm considering a part time job during Christmas (I don't work outside the home) to get money for gifts and to buy some new clothes (in smaller sizes of course!)

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 10-20-2008 at 01:40 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Wow interesting thread. For me I am on a strict budget and have been on a very strict budget for the past 9 years. So I scrimp in every single area of my life that I can except for food. But I have noticed that I am like Mandalinn at times. Or I spend too much then realize I am broke and get depressed about it then eat mindlessly to distract myself. It's an up and down thing with me.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #15  

Today was a prime example. I ate because I felt broke. I felt broke because I spent the last of my spending money though we just got paid. I spent the last of my money because my husband is stuck long hours at work AGAIN!