Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 214.6/193/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Night Shift Workers

I work many 12 hour nights a week as an ER nurse. I generally sleep the afternoon before the first night, and then sleep days between shifts. I'm finding it difficult to balance my meals with night work.

My first night I eat breakfast, HNS at the lunch hour, sleep, lunch meal at dinner time, HNS at around 11 p.m., then dinner at 2 a.m. (or when the chance arrives). Breakfast when I get home, then bed for the day. Start my night with lunch at dinner time.

I'm still losing, but I realize I'm not following the rules regarding mealtimes.

Hoping to hear from other night workers who may share their tips. I always have my limit of HNS with me - just in case.
Alloramadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/seetracker/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloramadai View Post
I work many 12 hour nights a week as an ER nurse. I generally sleep the afternoon before the first night, and then sleep days between shifts. I'm finding it difficult to balance my meals with night work.

My first night I eat breakfast, HNS at the lunch hour, sleep, lunch meal at dinner time, HNS at around 11 p.m., then dinner at 2 a.m. (or when the chance arrives). Breakfast when I get home, then bed for the day. Start my night with lunch at dinner time.

I'm still losing, but I realize I'm not following the rules regarding mealtimes.

Hoping to hear from other night workers who may share their tips. I always have my limit of HNS with me - just in case.
Maybe ask your center? I know when i first started they asked me when i normally ate my meals and seemed like they would be very helpful in this... I am sure they have had pleanty of people come through their center in the same schedule as you and hopefully they have some good ideas... Sorry I wasn't able to give any suggestions, but i hope you can find an answer somewhere
LauraSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I have this same problem. I work overnights in inpatient pharmacy...and it's super tough. I work 7/14 days..so there are a good chunk of days that I have off...that I keep a 'normal' schedule. I tend to binge when I get home. It sucks. I'm still losing/staying the same....but I'm definitely not as healthy as I was before I went to overnights. I can't find a balance. I'd love some ideas as well. ...Also working the night shift is horrible for snacking. People bring junk food...and it's soooo hard to stay away from it!
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

Smile

I feel for you! I also work night shifts. I am a respiratory therapist and I work 2-3 twelve hour shifts a week. I find it very difficult to get back on a normal sleep schedule during the time that i have off. I am loosing weight (60lbs) so far, so I dont know if it is any help but what i do is just eat breakfast around 3pm (which is about an hour after I wake up). I eat a light lunch at about 6:30pm which is right before i start my rounds at work. then we have dinner around 10:30pm or 11:00pm some nights. I will have a snack around 2:30 (usually yogurt or fiber one bar, or vegie sticks). I leave work at 6:30 am and i am usually hungry after I get home, so i will drink a glass of silk soy milk or maybe have another light snack before i go to sleep. I never eat at the cafeteria. I always have my meals prepared to take to work. what I find the hardest for me is when my co-workers bring in bad foods to share with the dept. Or when they want to order out. That is when my will power has to kick in I agree that it is more difficult to eat properly while on midnight shifts but you just have to get into the swing of things. try to eat every 3 hrs to keep your metabolism up.
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote