Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Id Optifast Work For You?

I was hoping someone out there could help me. I was just at the doctor, and she was really concerned about my weight problem and recommended that I try the optifast system. I had never heard of this before so I did some research on the internet and found out a few things, but what I'm really looking for is someone who has tryed it and can give the break down and if it really works long term. We are very short on money so to do this is going to be a very large sacrafice for my whole family. My husbands says that if we have to do then we have to do it!

Anyway let me know what you think. I should mention my doctors advice was to do the optifast system through a clinic in my area that monitors you weekly and requires you to go to weekly classes on behavior managment and follow their whole program right down to getting back on reg foods. She says that sometimes she will recommend that people go on weight watchers one they are all done, to help them watch what they eat.

THanx for you help!
EviesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

I have not done the program but I heard it is comparable to Medifast which is a program that is based off shakes and pre packaged foods. Did your Doctor give her reasoning for suggesting the program? Have you tried other programs? I mean. why not start off with the Weight Watchers or calorie counting instead of using that as transition? Have you considered going to a dietician? They may be able to give several options. Sorry, I wasnt able to give you answers but maybe asking more questions is the key.
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yeah I'm curious, why did the doctor recommend it for you? Have you been trying other things without success?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

I'm not sure the main reason she recommended is for me, but we did go over my faliure on other plans in the past. I have tryed south beach, atkins, weight watchers, counting calories and nothing seems to work for me. My weight is starting to really affect my asthma and she said that for me health I need to lose weight quickly and she has seen a lot of success with this plans for younger people (I'm 27). I am also hypothyroid with a enlarged thyroid so my metabolism tends to be all over the place.
I don't know how else to answer she seemed very concerned that I'm setting my self of for a heart attack or not being able to live past 40!
EviesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/223.7/127.8

Height: 160cm

I've only been on Optifast for a week now so can't tell you how successful it is.. but I can tell you my reasoning behind it.

I've failed with a lot of weight loss plans before... I always seem to be able to make excuses to fit the bad food into the diet. I decided to do optifast to get myself over the initial urge to still eat bad food. It is so strict there is no room for excuses.

They say you can be on the intensive phase for 1 to 12 weeks... I have no intention on staying as long as 12 weeks. As soon as I feel I have a bit more control over my eating, I will taper off with the optifast and join weight watchers.

One warning though... if you don't want the shock of your life like I did, expect that you may not feel the best for the first week - especially if you normally drink coke or coffee often. Cutting everything out straight away can be a huge shock to the system... so you should maybe ask your doctor about that angle. I'm actually going to see my doctor this week about it myself!

Last edited by tc76; 10-14-2008 at 03:31 AM.
tc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Can I ask, what made you fail on the other plans?

Did you lose weight, and then gain it all back...or did you get frustrated and quit partway through the weight loss process...or did you follow it to the letter and not lose anything at all?

Please give me some more details on the failures of the other plans that you have tried.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

The question you really need to ask is:

Who has been successful at LONG TERM WEIGHT LOSS with optifast. I've been a regular on this board for years and I can't name one person who used optifast and is in maintenance (lost weight and is keeping it off).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Glory - There used to be one, she was a mod and she was in maintenance but she hasn't been around for years. So... I would say 1 person I know of rather than the multiple others that haven't used a restrictive/liquid diet to lose weight and are able to maintain their weight loss.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I think you are referring to MrsJim, yes? From what I remember, and this has been years ago here-she lost a LOT of her weight through Optifast. However, she then changed plans, and ended up doing the Body For Life program (clean eating and bodybuilding/strength training) to do the rest of the work...and to maintain that weight loss.

She didn't do Optifast, and then magically stay thin...she committed to a life of clean eating, cardio, and lots of weightlifting...much like you might see the Meg or Mel (over in the maintainers forum) doing now.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote