PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default PCOS - weight loss and symptoms?

For all of us unfortionate souls who have PCOS, we have some not-so-nice symptoms.
My main one is not getting a period.
I'm just wondering, if you have lost a good amount of weight, how long before most of your PCOS symptoms went away?
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I only got my period maybe once every 4-5 months. However, I'm on birth control, so I don't know whether or not I have a regular schedule.

However, my facial hair went away. I would pms for weeks and that also wetn away. I have cyst-free ovaries, too My skin doesn't break out anymore, etiher. I noticed this at around 160 pounds.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/142/135

Height: 5'2

I've lost about 26lbs now (from 186 to 160 currently) and it has not helped my cycles return to a somewhat normal schedule. I have been getting it naturally every 4-5 months. One thing I did find is that I would get my cycle more frequently if I got enough sleep that month. It sounds like a silly correlation, but for me it's something I noticed. I still have to take pills for 7 days to induce my period if I don't get it every 2 months at least. I find that I just continue to retain water and feel like I'm gaining weight when I don't get my period. This is primarily from feeling constantly bloated. I have noticed that the little patch of facial hair that I would have to pluck every few days has slowed down considerably. That in itself is a huge improvement in my book.
hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I'm personally struggling on the weight part. I'm IR and it kinda slows everything down to the point where I give up and end up gaining weight again.
What I have noticed is ever since I went on bcps my periods changed. When I first started the bcps I used to get painless periods that are very light and last about 2-3 days, no pain or regular period symptoms. it was obvious that they were induced by the bcps but that was like almost for the first 3 years I was on them.
In the last couple of years however I started noticing that when I get my periods, they are a bit heavier and I actually get period cramps and all right before I stopped bcps for that month. sometimes when I'm still on my bcp cycle for that month I would notice spotting and some period cramps.
I told this to my doctor and he suggested that it could be that my period is actually coming back to normal. It seems like now my periods are a lot closer to 'real' ones than bcp induced ones..
I'm not quite sure if this makes sense. I'm not trying to imply here that bcps actually cured my periods, it was a combination of diet, exercise and meds that made them close to 'real'.. but I'm still too far away from being completely PCOS symptom free!
I still have an appointment with him on Sunday and will see what he says, he may prescribe a lighter type of bcp and something for my IR other than metformin. Will keep you posted.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:42 AM   #5  
Krysta

S/C/G: 220/180/140

Height: 5'0"

My PCOS is pretty calm right now (knock on wood)- haven't had to have any emergent surgeries in a while. I am at 180 now, but even when I was at 130lb I had painful symptoms and ruptures. I have always had a period though, so I guess I am no help to you there!
Reifenstein22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've been lucky enough that I haven't had symptoms since i was diagnosed. My only prob then was an irregular period, but I'm on the pill and that works just fine.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/273.5/170

I went on a low carb diet about 5 years ago and I really noticed that when I got down to 225 from 298, the facial hair thinned out and my skin really cleared up. I have been on birth control for years so I was having regular periods but before it, I'd go for a year with out having a period.
Elyndria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

Thanks everyone. I don't want to go on BC, because I smoke. I know I'm not that old, but still. I don't want to chance it.
I hope once I drop some more weight my periods will return more often and become regular.

Last edited by luvja; 11-05-2008 at 09:16 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I lost weight and I became less symptomatic with the first 10 lbs. But my symptoms recently returned after about a year of maintenance...
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I was wondering the same thing. I started Metformin in April and have lost about 40 lbs. I have had pretty regular "normal" periods but these past two months I have had about 1-1 1/2 weeks of spotting before my period starts up. Right now I have been spotting for a week, it's seriously getting old? Has anybody else had these problems? Has anyone had to adjust their medication after losing weight?
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

I have been on metformin for about 2 months now and I am also noticing some spotting (extremely light) about a week or so before my period....is that normal?
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 291/285/160

Height: 5'8"

I have also had the spotting issue. But it seems for about 2-3 months I have the annoying spotting in place of the period then one full on heavy period and the next 2-3 back to the spotting.
So I'm with Sara and Raye on this one...is this normal?
mikeysangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysangel View Post
I have also had the spotting issue. But it seems for about 2-3 months I have the annoying spotting in place of the period then one full on heavy period and the next 2-3 back to the spotting.
So I'm with Sara and Raye on this one...is this normal?
The only way to know that any menstrual irregularities or changes are normal (or at least normal for you with PCOS) is to have a pelvic and pap to make sure there is no other reason for them.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #14  
I'm FOCUSED man!!!

S/C/G: 273-267-150

Height: 5'6

I cant wait to truly knock of these pounds and get rid of these symptoms. Especially the facial hair. Ewwwww
D Red757 is offline   Reply With Quote