Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-28-2008, 05:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 415/238/220

Height: 5' 11"

Default Just had the Lap Band Surgery

I'm feeling ok (a little light headed some times), and going slow. Had the surgery on 9/24 and seem not to be hungry. Not sure if the surgeon did a fill when he put it in since I feel restriction when I swallow, not sure if this is normal. I am really freaked out about throwing up so I don't want to get even close making that happen.

I'm doing the water, water/juice, and about 2 oz of protein shake every few hours. I had a cube of watermelon that I chewed the heck out of today and it seems go down slow.

I'm still really sore, which I guess is understandable. I go back to work on Monday and get to face the questions.

My wife decided that she didn't care that I wanted to keep my surgery quiet and has told everyone she knows, since she's so excited about it.

Wes
JustWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Hi Wes! Welcome to the loser's bench! Good that you are taking things slowly, it is surgery after all.

I understand that the restriction can be swelling and that there is larger and smaller bands...maybe your surgeon used a smaller one. No worries.

Be sure to be kind to your wife for her exuberant tongue wagging, I'm sure it was done out of love.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-28-2008 at 06:06 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Wes,

Welcome to bandland. The restriction you are feeling is mostlikely swelling. I can't stress this enough...DO what your doctor tells you, it is very important...especially the first 8 weeks or so when you are healing. No matter how ambitious or hungry you get ... ok The first few weeks is about healing and not weight loss or gain... that comes when you start to get the proper restriction (fills).

Anyway, welcome to bandland and 3FCs' If you should have any questions, please holler... one of us will come running lol.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #4  

Thanks, the swelling thing makes sense, when does that stop? I'm not really hungry so that's a plus!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 376/296/170

Height: 5'4"

Congrats Wes!!!
Cherylk285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Hey Wes: Welcome to our happy losers group. Do what the doc says, and your wife of course! LOL!!!!! I didn't have LB, but some mighty smart people here who can help out. Keep us up on your progress.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWes View Post
Thanks, the swelling thing makes sense, when does that stop? I'm not really hungry so that's a plus!
Everyone is different so its hard to say when the swelling will go down.

YES not being hungry is a plus!! enjoy it. From the time I opened my eyes after surgery I wanted a cheeseburger lol I think for me the swelling went down about the 6th week or so. I remember going to my surgeon right about then telling him I could still eat a 6" hero w/no problem. Thats when the fills started...again, that was me. The one thing I did do was follow my surgeons diet to the "T" because I was so afraid of damaging my insides or ripping something.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #8  

Update; 2 weeks out, I think the swelling has gone down a lot. Which mean the hunger has started. I"m still freaked out about eating, so I've only tried a couple things. I have to keep reminding myself to slow down. Still really excited since I really wanted to keep eating one night and my stomach gently told me I was full (foam and gagged

Wes
Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Oh nooo.. you foamed already lol, well that certainly is a lesson learned huh Wes. The first time that happened to me was prob a year out and OMG did it hurt. I had pretty good restriction and the first thing that got "stuck" was... ((((embarassed))))) a piece of chocolate dipped in pnutbutter sigh.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #10  

I don't understand why I'm not losing faster. I lost 20 the first 10 days or so which I understand is normal (water+ no food). I've only lost 3 pounds in the past week, not sure why. I'm only getting about 1100-1300 Cals a day, and increase my water intake. A co-worker thinks its my body going into starvation mode and slowing. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm totally bummed. What am doing wrong?

Wes

Wes
Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

3 lbs is wonderful!! average wl with the band is 1 - 2 lbs a week, so your ahead of the game, plus your body will automatically slow down after such a big loss of 10 lbs.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water *GLUG*

Your not doing anything wrong and i don't think your going into starvation mode... MOSTLY don't get bummed out, positive thinking is whats going to carry you through your journey.

Keep up the good work Wes... honestly, your doing fantastic, just give yourself time ok... and please don't be so hard on yourself, you deserve to be happy

Last edited by Leenie; 10-09-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #12  

Thanks Leenie I needed that.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Your welcome