PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see bar/150

Height: 5"6

Default Metaformin ramp-up question

I'm supposed to start at 500mg a day, and ramp up to 1500. I've been taking it at 500 for 3 days now and have had no problem.
How long should I try each level for? Should I go up to 1000 yet? Or should I wait longer?
mistypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:31 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Ask your pharmacist. Seriously. Don't take any advice on here about your particular drug therapy. Even better, call your doctor.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

I agree, your Pharmacist will most likely tell you to call your Dr if it isn't said on the Rx as to when you need to increase the dosage. So I would cut out the middle man and call your Doc.
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Well, I'll tell you what my doctor and pharmacist told me, and it worked. Stay on each level for AT LEAST a week. I think I waited 2 weeks to move from 500 to 1,000, and then about 10 days to move from 1,000 to 1,500. I have had no problems except for the very first day of "ramping up" each time (a little bit of indigestion).

It'd be interesting to get a poll of all the women who've had horrible problems with metformin side effects, and to see how many of them increased their dosage soon in their treatment. Problem is that I don't think that point of taking it slow is emphasized enough by health care professionals (at least in my experience -- I did a lot of my own research on the drug before I started).
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Height: 5'4"

I am still trying to get to my prescribed dosage. I was prescribed Metformin 2000mg on Sept. 3. He said to start slowly, so I started with 500mg, and some of you will remember my posts of horrible side effects. I increased to 1000mg a week later and STILL I can not add more just yet. I have spoken to my doc and he is aware and wants me to try to add another 500mg soon. I agree with checking with your doctor. My hesitation is the gastrointestional side effects but I always had a sensitive tummy !
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

I was never informed about starting slowly. I was just told 500mg twice a day. I wish I would have started off slowly but I just took it by the directions on the bottle.

I had the worst time when I started off. Bad stomach, felt sick if I ate, felt sick if I didn't eat, felt sick I ate too much or too little.

I wish I would have "ramped up." It probably would have helped me out ALOT
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote