Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/147/120

Height: 5'5"

Default Tips for the Pantry Clearer?

Hello All:

I'm a newbie here and hoping that this forum could maybe act as a catalyst for change. I posted a thread in the main support forum, but they suggested that I post one here too.

I've had a horrid couple of weeks that seem to have turned into a downward spiral. I recently had to undergo an endoscopy and had to fast for that. I took that as my "free ticket" and before the fast totally pigged out for DAYS. I got on the scale on Monday and surprise surprise I had gained weight. Normally I'm at 135 and it doesn't really fluctuate from there much. Seeing that 139 on the scale totally freaked me out because it's so close to 140 (which in my mind is a danger zone). Instead of motivating me this scale reading seems to have caused me to lose all motivation. I've been bingeing all week and I can't seem to break out of it. I start the mornings off with good intentions and do my 10 Minute Weights and eat a healthy breakfast, but it all seems to fall apart after that.

Here's what I've noticed:

1) I have a major self control problem. Once I break down and start on the junk food I can eat until I physically feel ill. A lot of the time when I get a hold of a bad snack at home I will eat the entire thing just to get rid of it so it isn't there tomorrow. Home is dangerous because my husband and I work opposite shifts so I can eat as much as I want without being accountable to anyone. It doesn't help that despite my good intentions grocery shopping (picking out mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats, healthy grains, etc.) the husband and his brother who lives with us have super metabolisms and are always bringing home junk and encouraging sharing. Sharing always turns into me finishing it off because someone left it until it became undesireable (not to the point of going bad, but there seems to be a two day fridge rule and then they won't touch it so I end up finishing it).

If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any tips/advice I would love to hear it. (P.S. I'm a calorie counter with vegetarian leanings in case that matters.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

PaniAnia
paniania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniania View Post
the husband and his brother who lives with us have super metabolisms and are always bringing home junk and encouraging sharing.
Have you sat down and seriously asked them not to push food on you? If they make fun of you or say you shouldn't worry about it - tell them it hurts if they make fun of you or ask them just to do it for you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/147/120

Height: 5'5"

I've asked the DH to hide his snacks when he buys them. He takes it seriously enough for a day or two and then kind of phases out of it. He doesn't seem to understand just how severe my lack of control is despite the fact that sometimes after particularly bad binges I'll tell him and he'll be like, "What, you ate half a coffee cake/almost an entire half gallon of ice cream?!?! How could you do that?!?!?". It shocks him for a moment and then apparently life goes on as per usual.

The BIL seriously looks at his treats as doing something nice for all of us - his contribution to the cooking in the household. I kind of joke around with him when he brings them (along the lines of "Hey, Maks what are you trying to do here, make me fat?") and he laughs it off. We've had one conversation where I mentioned that I have to get back on the diet and he seemed honestly shocked that I seem to have to diet.

I have to work up the courage to ask him to stop buying the weekend treats and not sound like an ungrateful *****. And I have to somehow change my way of thinking so that the junk food that he buys is off limits in his mind despite his sharing philosophy.
paniania is offline   Reply With Quote