Old 09-20-2008, 01:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/238/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Question about OA...

I was excited to find out there was an OA place near me, and that maybe I could get some help and talk to people, but then I looked at their website and read the 12 steps, and was disappointed to find they are very heavily religious.

Are all OA meetings religious? I can't adhere to their 12 step program, as well, I don't believe in over half the steps. I'd feel like I was lying if I went to a meeting and wouldn't get the intended benefits? I dunno, I'm just kind of bummed. To those of you that have gone to the meeting, what's it like? Just looking for some guidance. Are like Alcoholics Anonymous meetings like OA too?

Thanks in advance!
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #2  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

12 step meetings are built upon the premise that we cannot overcome addiction alone and that we need something greater than ourselves to do it. That "higher power" can be God or it can be fellow members or it could be a doorknob. Some people define higher power as "good orderly direction or doing the next right thing. If you think that your willpower is not working and that you can't control your eating and that you are willing to try something else, then you might like OA.

OA is not religious- you define your spirituality however you want. It's not Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. There are atheists in OA as well.

OA is based on AA so the meeting formats are similar, but the literature is mostly different.

Good luck.

-Caroline
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #3  
deconstruction

S/C/G: 250/236.5/170

Height: 5'7"

Ditto what was said about--a Higher Power can be whatever you want it to be and it's not a specific god. A lot of the literature talks about a god as you understand him/her, which leaves the door open.

for example, i'm a pagan and a pantheist, so my HP is very different than a person who defines themself as Christian. one of my best friends in the program is an atheist, too...

if you want to work the program, don't let a lack of religious practice stand in your way--it's about working on an addiction/faulty pattern of eating, not being religious.
needlestuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/238/170

Height: 5'10"

That's good to know, thank you guys!
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #5  
Carrie

S/C/G: 225/221.5/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Kelbrina,

Each OA meeting is autonomous. Visit several and you may discover that the tone of each is very different.

When you walk in, you will most likely be greeted very zealously by several folks. You won't know from looking around that you are in an OA meeting. We come in all shapes and sizes. People will be eager to help you find your way in the meetings.

You should be given a Newcomer's Packer containing several pamplets concerning meeting times and places, one about food plans, sponsorship, etc.

I thought the list of steps was crazy when I first came in. I dug in my heels and declared there was NO way I could ever get my head around Step 3.

I am grateful I was reminded that *my* head is what brought me through the doors of OA in the first place, and perhaps it wouldn't hurt me to listen to the experience, strength, and hope of others who were working the program.

I was so beaten down by my disease, that I agreed, and now I am glad I did.

The steps are in the order they are because they work. I got past step 3, but starting on step 1, being honest, staying connected, and going back.

Hope this helps.

Chickie
ChickieBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 AM   #6  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Hey Carrie really appreciate your input on OA. Just wat I need to hear. I am going to put you on my buddy list and hope you will put me on yours.
Anyone else interested? Together we can do what we could not do alone.
hijude is offline   Reply With Quote