Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Question Am I making a mistake?

Hiya,

Last weekend I twisted the bejeebers out of my ankle which put quite the damper on my usual exercise routine. I'm trying to make sure I still do some crunches, a few things with resistance bands, and some legs lifts - you know, things I can do from the floor without putting weight on my foot. But such a big part of my program has been my "dancey" dvds - hopping and jumping are out of the question for at least another two weeks, maybe three. To compensate for reduced activity, I dropped my calories back a tad - I was averaging between 1400 & 1500 calories but this week dropped to between 1200 and 1300. I've come such a long way as far as repairing my mangled metabolism I'm a little paranoid about backsliding. I know just this one week won't have been a huge deal but do you think it's OK to keep the calories low for another couple of weeks? As long as I don't let myself drop below 1200?

Last edited by yoyonomoreinvegas; 09-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure about the dropping calories part...others will speak to that I'm sure. However, you might want to check out your local library. Mine has workout tapes for people who are in wheelchairs or who can't stand very long. I got one a few years ago when I hurt my knee, and I was amazed at how much cardio was in it. True, it's not as active as jumping around, but it's definitely better than nothing. You might think about looking at your library!
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #3  

Ooh, great idea. Thanks Joanne.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

If you truly repaired your metabolism, it should see you through a short term hiatus from your usual exercise routine. At least, that has been the case for me. I am afraid that if you drop it too low you will do just the opposite and it will backfire by hanging onto those extra pounds.

As for doing cardio. I have advanced arthritis. I have managed to find water aerobics as calorie burning as the old 11 minute walk I used to do! I also have exercising designed specifically for those who are mobilely challenged. I remember Richard Simmons once saying that if you want to raise your heart rate, raise your arms higher and faster. If you need to lower your heart rate, do the opposite. I think, you can get a lot out of sitting in a chair and "dancing" with your arms and upper torso. In fact, swing your legs around too. Just watch the sore foot. I think you'll do alright.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamatga View Post
If you truly repaired your metabolism, it should see you through a short term hiatus from your usual exercise routine. At least, that has been the case for me. I am afraid that if you drop it too low you will do just the opposite and it will backfire by hanging onto those extra pounds.

As for doing cardio. I have advanced arthritis. I have managed to find water aerobics as calorie burning as the old 11 minute walk I used to do! I also have exercising designed specifically for those who are mobilely challenged. I remember Richard Simmons once saying that if you want to raise your heart rate, raise your arms higher and faster. If you need to lower your heart rate, do the opposite. I think, you can get a lot out of sitting in a chair and "dancing" with your arms and upper torso. In fact, swing your legs around too. Just watch the sore foot. I think you'll do alright.
As graceful as I am, I'd be liable to whack the sore ankle into the leg of the chair That's a great Idea too though. Any movement is better than no movement.

I'm sorry you are dealing with arthritis but to you for not letting it stop you from being active Here I am whining about a temporary setback. What a boob
Old 09-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #6  

I don't know if it's a mistake to drop your calories, but it sounds like something I'd probably do. I twisted my ankle a couple of months ago, took great care of it, than walked on a brace which sat funny on my foot and pulled tendons in my foot that are just now (two months later) healing. I bought a bike and picked up bike riding. Not only did it not hurt my foot, but I think it increased the blood circulation or something because my foot always felt better after a long bike ride. I don't know if you can bike on a twisted ankle and getting off the bike might be hard, but it's an idea.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #7  

eeee, I think I would be nervous about bike riding - not so much about the pressure (or falling off ) but the flexing your ankle does when pedaling - afraid it would be a bit much just yet. Probably a great rehab type thing when it gets a little better though.